Eating Too Fast

Lately, I've noticed a few people posting about how their dogs are gobbling their food, choking, etc.

Here's something I just saw for the first time. Made to "resemble a patch of grass" -- that made me chuckle! -- so, like, it will co-ordinate with the other grass on your kitchen floor? :lol

Northmate Green Interactive Dog Feeder

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest FreeholdHound

Amazon has it for $24.95. I thought about getting one a few months back when Doggyloot.com had it cheaper but couldn't figure out how to elevate it. I emailed Northmate about a possible bowl insert version & was promptly sent info about NOT elevating bowls. Yeah, I know all the info on both sides thank you - sorry I asked lol

Lisa B.

WOW! Too expensive for my house. There are far cheaper ways to deal with eating too fast.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I think it looks like a good idea..... be interesting to get feedback (pun imtended ;) ) on it after it's been on the market for a few months.

Wouldn't work here for my guys...we feed raw..... YUK.

When I was feeding kibble, I placed two hockey pucks on top of the kibble....and they worked just fine at slowing them down!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

When I leave for work I sometimes just take a scoop of dog food and literally throw/scatter it all over the kitchen floor...I make sure to put some in trickier areas (on, or behind objects). I know it is a weird way to feed, but the dogs love it, they get to sniff around and use their nose to find all of the pieces. My dogs aren't fast eaters, but this makes it impossible to gobble and it also provides some mental stimulation. That feeder does look interesting though.. :P

Guest WhiteWave

I like it! If I had the spare money I would get one to try. I think it would work good for Rocky and Joey. I could put Rocky in his crate with it before I leave for work and let him spend the day with his smooshface trying to get to the food! He would work at all day too until not a kibble was left.

Joey goes at his food like it is his last meal. His bowl ends up in the weirdest places. I try putting on a rubber mat, but he hits it so hard, he knocks it off.

Ronon and Casper eat in a raised stand as Casper can't bend over to eat and Ronon prefers not to.

Just wondering if a long-nosed hound (aren't they all? .. LOL) would have difficulty in getting to the food. It's the first thing I thought of and don't know if I'm thinking crazy thoughts.

I remember somebody posting a while ago that they put their dog's kibble on a cookie sheet, which slowed her down.

I wouldn't think they'd have any difficulty. In fact, I would guess that their long, skinny noses are the best design for this "bowl". I think the ones that would probably have the most difficulty are the short-snouted ones like pugs.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to post that I got the Northmate feeder mentioned by the OP, and it works well! (I actually got it for my two cats, but I let Sweep check it out first.) Her long nose was not an issue; she just used her tongue to reach between the longer "blades of grass," which are probably no deeper than the average Kong. She tried to use her paws quite a bit, which was entertaining for me but not very productive for her. :lol If I were to keep using it for her, I'd probably weigh it down somehow so she couldn't flip it. Seems like a great, albeit not the cheapest, solution for the fast eaters out there.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart