Dog Just Got Into Trash And Ate A Bunch Of Brownies...

I didn't read through all of the comments so this may have been mentioned already but for future reference, you don't necessarily need to bring a dog into the vet to induce vomiting. Over Thanksgiving, our greyhound ate some string that tied the turkey legs together and when I called the E-vet, they said to induce vomiting by feeding him a tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide. It makes dogs throw up within minutes and believe me, it worked. The poor guy threw everything up (including the string) within a few minutes of ingesting the stuff and had zero other side effects. I think the dosing is one teaspoon for every 10 lbs of body weight but obviously we had successful results with less. I was glad that we didn't end up spending $100+ for the E-vet to do this!

I think the dosing is one teaspoon for every 10 lbs of body weight but obviously we had successful results with less.

Just to add for new readers: Inducing vomiting is usually considered if dog ingested something soft (like food/brownies). If a dog has swallowed anything sharp, hard, or large enough to cause blockage, call ER ASAP, and do NOT induce vomiting (unless instructed by vet). Some items can do more damage if vomited back up, or can cause dangerous blockages.

OP, hope your dog is okay. Maybe the brownies were burned(?)...

So very glad your pup is OK. But I'm going to have to turn you in to the Chocolate Police. Throwing brownies away is a crime!!!!!! :smokin

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

While chocolate is certainly toxic to dogs, it takes a LOT of chocolate to really harm an otherwise healthy dog.

Many years ago, my cocker spaniel puppy (< 20 lbs) ate a whole 1 lb bag of M&Ms on Christmas Eve. We were at the home of friends,out of town... not near our vet. But, I happened to know a soon-to-graduate vet student in that town and called him. He looked it up and also called his advisor at the vet school. He said she'd be fine, but very sick. He felt too much time had passed to induce vomiting (we were away from the house when she did it). He told me to withhold all food and water for 24 hours (I know that sounds cruel). There was lots of technicolor excrement from both ends of her little body and she was absolutely miserable, but had no other serious effects from it. Later, I wished I had induced vomiting because I think it might've lessened the amount of time she suffered getting rid of it all.

Most baked goods and many candies don't have enough concentrated chocolate to do serious damage.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

. . . must . . . . know . . . . why . . . . brownies. . . . were. . . .in. . . . trash . . . .

will . . . . KNOT . . . . give . . . . up . . . . MUST . . . . know . . . .

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Guest Liz_in_PA

Several years ago, we came home to find an empty bag of choc chips. Just the plastic shreds in our bedroom. We were certain it was Dash. Bonnie said that he did it. Until Bonnie came over, looked at me with love in her eyes and puked at my feet. Did I mention that the chips were mint chocolate? Gosh that was gnarly.

LMAO! You guys are all SO funny! :rofl

Soo...Mover was completely fine, though he did have an accident in the house the next day, I'm assuming from the fiber...lol

Now for the "why were the brownies in the trash" question: As I stated in my OP, these were 'high fiber' brownies that I've been experimenting with for a school project (dietetics major). These were very high fiber brownies that were not nearly as tasty as the other batch of 'normal' brownies I made to compare them to. I kept the good brownies and tossed my experimental fiber ones. Mover didn't seem to mind the fiber though... :P

Now for the "why were the brownies in the trash" question: As I stated in my OP, these were 'high fiber' brownies that I've been experimenting with for a school project (dietetics major). These were very high fiber brownies that were not nearly as tasty as the other batch of 'normal' brownies I made to compare them to. I kept the good brownies and tossed my experimental fiber ones. Mover didn't seem to mind the fiber though... :P

:yay Those of with no lives can now sleep at night.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

and even those of us who turned their light out at 10 last night feel soooooooooo much better!

I still think it's an indictable offense, but I digress.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Again - so glad your pup is OK.

But if the brownies had chocolate in them - I believe it would have been prudent to freeze them for emergency use later. Like when there's not a morsel of chocolate in the house at 2AM and you're in acute withdraw. Not that it's ever happened to me. Just sayin'.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.