Doxycyline Shortage

OMG! My vet had no Doxy due to a shortage of the drug. She had to call Birdie's prescription into my pharmacy. 52 100mg tablets 135.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went to Walmart to see if the price was better. They quoted me 175.00. Searched some pet med sights and found SOLD OUT on the Doxy.

I don't get how they can shut down production of such a useful antibiotic. Is there something else going on here?

Curious minds want to know.

I ended up asking for 20 to get me through Monday hoping to find someone who has a stash.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

I promise that I am not casting aspersions on Birdie but here is the CDC info re: the doxy shortage: linky.

I know that in the past I have been told that I can get antibiotics at the pet store in the fish aisle (and I did when I had fish). I would ask one of the online vets here to weigh in on that one though. The prices are sure right! Here

Edited by carronstar

If you go here, there are two companies reporting that their doxycycline is available. You might want to call one of them and see if their product is stocked by a particular chain of drugstores. Or give them your location and see if they supply someone near you.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest CFPWonder

Please don't tell me that! We've been giving Wonder Doxy for her lupus because they took Tetracycline off the market..... I just got her script refilled a few days ago so we're good for awhile - but then what? Thanks for the info...

We can't get Doxy at our vet clinic, either, except at exorbitant prices (like $2/pill). So we've been sending folks with a script to a

local compounding pharmacy. By law, they can't compound a dose that is "commercially available" like the 100 mg or 50 mg, but

if we just kick it up a notch, like, this dog needs 110 mgs, they can compound that. More expensive than the old doxy used to be,

but still much less than at a human pharmacy right now.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

This may sound strange, but most avian/pigeon supply places carry doxy. I only know this because I had to hunt some down for my pet rat once and didn't want to spend hundreds at the vet :P

No idea how the prices compare but here are some links.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f110/pigeon-supply-houses-usa-amp-australia-only-9455.html

Jedds Avian Products for example carries 100 (100mg) doxy tablets for dogs for around $35...you may want to check it out (I have no idea as to the quality/brand but just thought I'd throw it out there).

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-1018/DOXYDOG-50mg-fdsh-100mg-fdsh-300mg-%28Medpet%29/Detail.bok

We recently had to treat Henley for Lyme disease. At the vet's suggestion, I called around to find a good price. Walmart was over $500!!! But, Walgreen's was about $40. Yes, only one zero! I could NOT believe the difference!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

• 1 month later...

Had to bump this thread- Cole's snap test came back positive for Ehrlichia (we went though a whole treatment of doxy for it last Nov when he presented with dire symptoms. His platelets recovered beautifully, and I just got these results on Saturday as part of his annual). My vet mentioned the Doxy shortage, and that she would try another drug this time (I forgot to ask what it was).

Has anyone been able to get a hold of any Doxy recently? If not, what do you think the best recommendation for other treatment is?

I did ask her that if his platelets are good (being tested now) can't we just write off the test results as antibodies still present, and not exactly evidence of disease? She wasn't sure if that was the case whether to treat or not and is going to research it- I'm doing my research as well, and thgouht I'd start here.

Thanks for any help, suggestions or experience any of you can offer!

-Jen

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)

The pills sold as fish tank treatment are the EXACT SAME PILLS as human Doxycycline. I know this because I have a co-worker who is a pharmacist by trade and owns several pharmacies.

That's how I treated George when my vet gave up on my theory. Fish pills!

Amazon.com

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The pills sold as fish tank treatment are the EXACT SAME PILLS as human Doxycycline. I know this because I have a co-worker who is a pharmacist by trade and owns several pharmacies.

That's how I treated George when my vet gave up on my theory. Fish pills!

Amazon.com

So long as they aren't expired--expired cylcines =liver problems.