Appointment With Osu

I live in Georgia. Could someone please tell me how to get an appointment with OSU for DaVid? A doctor from OSU is relocating to Charleston on May 22 and we have an appointment with her in Charleston on that day. But, that is almost a month away and I do not think he or I can go that long. Charleston believes he has a TPLO in his right knee (unheard of in Greyhounds), but he is also now limping on his left side. Both sides. So, I think that blows their theory. He has had major back surgery two times in the last year. The surgeon said his problem does not seem to be in his back. I disagree. Would taking him to Jacksonville (speciality hospital) be next or would a 17 hour drive to OSU be the next choice? He is 7 years old today. He is on 4 pain pills every 8 hours.

I had this info in my notes:

You can call the clinic directly at 614-292-3551

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I live in Georgia. Could someone please tell me how to get an appointment with OSU for DaVid? A doctor from OSU is relocating to Charleston on May 22 and we have an appointment with her in Charleston on that day. But, that is almost a month away and I do not think he or I can go that long. Charleston believes he has a TPLO in his right knee (unheard of in Greyhounds), but he is also now limping on his left side. Both sides. So, I think that blows their theory. He has had major back surgery two times in the last year. The surgeon said his problem does not seem to be in his back. I disagree. Would taking him to Jacksonville (speciality hospital) be next or would a 17 hour drive to OSU be the next choice? He is 7 years old today. He is on 4 pain pills every 8 hours.

It's entirely possible to have a TPLO in both knees (generally once one goes it's only a matter of time before the other one does) although it isn't common in greyhounds as you said. Is the back surgeon an orthopedist or a neurologist? I would think a good orthopedic surgeon would be your best bet, but I don't know the quality of hte ones around you. I have one here who I absolutely LOVE and he is quite familiar with greyhounds, but that's quite a drive for you as well (although much less than OSU). It's probably worth submitting for an OSU consult (you can find the instructions on the first post in the osteo thread). You would want to find a way to get them any x-rays and a full medical history and there is a (relatively small) fee, I think $50.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You can fill out the form. http://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

BUT ALSO EMAIL Dr Kellogg just in case the form does not go thru.

Christine.Kellogg@cvm.osu.edu

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Thanks everyone. I talked to Heather Story at OSU. She said it would be 3 weeks before they could see Da Vid and that she thought it would be better to wait for Dr. Jennifer Au to move to Charleston. We have an appointment with Dr. Au on May 22. Heather Story said to just keep giving him pain pills and keep him resting. So, that is the plan for right now. She said it was not unusual for Greyhounds to have this condition and having it in both knees at the same time was not unheard of. She certainly calmed me down. Thanks so much for the phone number and taking the time to answer one stressed Greyhound owner.

Oh, sorry I just read all of the e-mails. I am actually working with both a neurologist and a orthoptic surgeon on this. Dr. Jason did DaVid's back surgery just a few months ago and Dr. Wood (she is a teacher at the University of Missouri) is the doctor that said it was a knee problem. If you really want to know the truth, I am working with just about all of the doctors in Charleston as I talked to Dr. Rossiter because she wanted to do a biopsy on his speen and we did. It came back negative, but she wanted to send the sample to Colorado State, which she did.

Dr. Jason King

Before you call--please remember that tplo is a surgical procedure NOT a condition. What your Vet may suspect is an ACL tear or injury.

I was wondering about that because my last dog had a TPLO. I was thinking maybe that's an abbreviation for something else...

Do you mean your vet thinks your dog has a torn ACL? You don't need a greyhound vet for that. Any competent ortho can diagnose a torn ACL. I would not, however, trust just a regular vet. When my dog tore his ACL, he could not bear any weight on his leg at all.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

He is putting his weight on it some. Mostly he limps and does not want to stand at all. At first it was just his right leg, but now it is both. I took him to Charleston because that is where the surgeon works that did his spine surgery a few months ago. Actually, I had the surgery done in Savannah, Ga., but he started limping again, so Charleston re-did everything Savannah did. Does that make sense? Anyway, this has been a roller coaster. Huck died 1 year ago with bone cancer, DaVid had his first surgery about 8-9 months ago and his 2nd surgery about 3 months ago and Lady had disk surgery 3 weeks after DaVid's. Like I have said before, I will never have another greyhound. I absolutely cannot afford this.

I'm so sorry you're going through this......I can feel the worry in your posts.

I work at a vet clinic with 4 capable vets, but after lots of diagnostics & "no idea" what was going on, I wound up maxing out a credit card

with Desi in int.care at OSU throwing clots. I'll never regret a penny of it, but that's also why I've limited myself to one hound.

Prayers coming for DaVid that you can get him sorted out & back to some kind of normalcy.

Strength for you, as well. I know it's going to be a long month waiting.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.