The Big, Bad , Scary.............. Ceiling Fan?

Guest Isabella

Guest Isabella

Izzy is absolutely terrified of the ceiling fan. I have tried turning it on slow and still she absolutely freaks, to the point I am afraid she is going to hurt herself. I do not have central air, only window air and the ceiling fan is a necessity once the humidity starts. Any one have any suggestions on how to get her over this fear? I can't just turn it on and leave it on because she literally about goes through the window, she slams herself against things, she about hyperventilates, if the fan is already on when she comes to the room she refuses to go in the room and runs and hides. I just want to tell her "sweetie, it's JUST a ceiling fan" :huh2

Guest cwholsin

Maybe try having someone turn it on in another room and give her stinky treats and gradually work her closer to the room with the fan, then in the room, etc.? With dogs this freaked put by thetotal package of being able to see it, hear it, feel it, etc. it's usually easier to work on one sense of the scary thing a time until it becomes less overwhelming.

Is she scared of all fans or just ones on the ceiling?

Good luck!

Edited by cwholsin

Guest undergreysspell

Maybe if you can set up a ladder and have her sit in the room and treat as you climb the ladder. When she gets used to you on the ladder then touch the fan blade while you treat. Then when she gets used to that just move the fan blade a little while you treat. Just move slow little by little until she'll tolerate the fan blade spinning manually while you throw her treats. Then work in reverse with the blade moving as you come off the ladder . If she freaks out at any step then stop at that point and start again. It will take work but might work?

I feel your pain - my first greyhound was terrified of the ceiling fan - ALL CEILING FANS!!!

her whole life -- we never cured her of her fear.

instead we turned the AC down and WE learned to live without the fan on!

good luck

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I think Undergreysspell's idea of gradual conditioning is good. Meanwhile maybe you need to think about a window A/C unit? I don't know about staghounds but greyhounds really don't do well in the heat -- Beth starts panting if the house gets above 73. Of course it may be what they're used to.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Millions of folks survive without central air OR a ceiling fan!

Including ME.

However, I understand you feel hot...how about trying a regular floor fan??

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Izzy is absolutely terrified of the ceiling fan. I have tried turning it on slow and still she absolutely freaks, to the point I am afraid she is going to hurt herself. I do not have central air, only window air and the ceiling fan is a necessity once the humidity starts. Any one have any suggestions on how to get her over this fear? I can't just turn it on and leave it on because she literally about goes through the window, she slams herself against things, she about hyperventilates, if the fan is already on when she comes to the room she refuses to go in the room and runs and hides. I just want to tell her "sweetie, it's JUST a ceiling fan" :huh2

Consider putting some kind of safety bar across any window that you'll have open. I've used something like this in the past: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prime-Line-PL15517-34-1-2-in-X-20-in-White-Screen-Door-Grill/23015852?adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Does she spook during thunderstorms or fireworks too?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Isabella

I do have a window air conditioner I just like to run the ceiling fan along with it. She hasn't really shown any fear towards thunder and she hasn't been around any fireworks but my guess would be that they would scare her.

I think I will try the conditioning with treats, I have found that her favorite thing to get is hot dogs and sweet potato triscuits ( go figure ?)

I will definitely be investing in the bar for the window!!

Thanks everyone!

Guest Trammell

I recently went to a behaviorist for some things for Loni; and we were advised on some natural anxiety fighters (don't know them off the top of my head, but will look); have you considered something like that to maybe calm her down enough to start relating the fan with good things? If I am wrong; please those with lots of experience quote me and say "No!"

Maybe if you can set up a ladder and have her sit in the room and treat as you climb the ladder. When she gets used to you on the ladder then touch the fan blade while you treat. Then when she gets used to that just move the fan blade a little while you treat. Just move slow little by little until she'll tolerate the fan blade spinning manually while you throw her treats. Then work in reverse with the blade moving as you come off the ladder . If she freaks out at any step then stop at that point and start again. It will take work but might work?

Hehe, I had a blonde moment while reading this...I was thinking "oh, so she is showing the dog that stuff up high isn't scary" :rolleyes:

But after reading the rest of this it sounds like a good idea...I am off to turn on my ceiling fan out of curiosity.