Just Curious...

Guest RMarie

Guest RMarie

I noticed that when James marks, he only marks one way. That is, he will only ever stand on his right side and lift his back left leg and pee to the left (or straight forward). He's never stood on his left and peed to the right. Is marking direction like handedness in people, one side is more dominant than the other? I'm just curious.

Our boy is like this too! He will only stand on the left leg, lifting the right. He had corns on his right paw pad so I wonder if that's why he got used to putting all his weight on the left. It also takes him 3-5 times of sidling up to the tree/bush/plant and then backing up and starting over before he he'll let loose. Maybe he has pee-OCD!

Guest RMarie

Our boy is like this too! He will only stand on the left leg, lifting the right. He had corns on his right paw pad so I wonder if that's why he got used to putting all his weight on the left. It also takes him 3-5 times of sidling up to the tree/bush/plant and then backing up and starting over before he he'll let loose. Maybe he has pee-OCD!

Yes!!! If James passes by something he likes, he turns around, sniffs sniffs sniffs, then continues walking in the opposite direction we were going so that he can turn around and pee on it from the left. He's a lefty. If marking were a sport, he'd be Phil Mickelson.

Guest RMarie

My boy has a preference too. I wonder if it has anything to do with the turn in the race track and that leg being stronger/weaker than the other?

Hahahaha, now I'm picturing all the dogs running around the track on 3 legs, peeing as they go!!!

Monty is also a one-sided dog. I believe I actually posted the same question here about 4 years ago! Only lifts the right back leg. And sometimes he does the stretch-squat...and then ends up peeing on his left front paw because he's "pointed" that way. He has never, in our 5.5 years of owning him and walking him, lifted his left leg. He also does the backup and turn around (though about 50% of the time it's to fake pee anyway) when there's something on the wrong side of him.

My guess is it's just a dominant-paw thing. Many aren't as single-sided as our dogs are. Lucky owners!

Guest blueberri

Sparks tends to lift his right leg (but that also works with the way we walk), but will lift his left, and has been known to squat. He has a tendency to pee on his front paws too, so when he runs inside and quickly licks his front paw we know he's been for a pee.

One of the small girls in our local group will squat *and* lift a leg forward to pee. It looks so awkward and funny :beatheart

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Miri lifts her leg, usually the left, but I have seen her lift her right leg also. And she has a corn on her right hind foot. She does squat also, but prefers to lift a leg.

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry's too lazy to lift anything... He wraps his body around the light pole , mail box etc and rotates his pelvis to take aim. He rarely misses lol