Sadie Took Another Piece Of My Heart To The Bridge

djsgreys

Sadie – Kickapoo Kara

December 19, 2002

I rescued you but at the time, never thought of making you mine – what a journey to your forever home you had.

Sadie never raced – not sure why, but after racing school she spent two years in a blood donor clinic, before coming to Canada. The group that brought her up had arranged with our local humane society to place 13 greys with them for adoption. Sadie was one of the first adopted and it seemed like it was a success. But then the family brought in two Jack Russell puppies and it was more than she could handle. She was returned to the humane society where they quickly adopted her out to a family with 6 kids under the age of 8. Needless to say this was not successful. Sadie was then in limbo for almost 6 weeks, as the society was moving to a new location and was closed for adoptions. Because they knew me, I asked one of our adopters to go in and “adopt” Sadie, then quickly moved her to a foster home in another city. Soon she went into a new home – but that one didn’t work out and she came back to us yet again.

I finally met the girl I had “rescued” when her foster family brought her out to one of walks in early February of 2010. I had been looking for a little black girl since we lost Gifted Suzy to osteo in Nov of 2009. I spent a lot of time with Sadie on that walk and decided that she was my girl. She came home the next weekend.

IMG_1204-1.jpg

It was not an easy transition, Sadie was quite traumatized – afraid of anyone towering over her and reactive if another dog touched her. We decided to let her just come around on her own. It took about a year but overnight Sadie was transformed. She decided that she loved to snuggle with company and would quickly crawl up on the couch beside anyone who came to visit, plop herself down next to them and lay her head in their lap. She learned to play with the others again, and would run and bump in the yard without reacting. Last year after losing Sam and Maxi, Sadie decided she was a princess and that the sun rose and set on her wishes. And the princess made sure that every night we spent some “special” alone time together – which of course involved treats. There was no denying her this time – and somewhere along the way, Sadie decided that if I was on the phone in the evening, that was the signal to head to the laundry room for our time and her treats.

Sadie was like that though – smart as a whip, and if you did something once it became a rule. In one of her foster homes she always licked the plates after dinner, and she just expected that at our house as well. There was NO chance that was going to happen at our house but Sadie was not convinced. She would sit, then dance, then smile, then twirl, then talk – she used every trick in her book to try and convince us. She was a talkative girl and greeted us each morning with a loud rousing chorus of hellos – almost as loud as we got at mealtimes.

Sadie had been limping, a little on and off. But on Sunday, while out playing, she stopped short and there was no denying that limp. I could see the pain in her eyes – even after giving her tramadol and metacam. It was osteo and the bone had fractured.

Sadie, my love, though it took a while to get you here, we are so thankful for the time we had with you. The house is going to seem much quieter, and even a little empty without your big presence. Will the sun still rise and still set without you? We shall see but you are free now – free of pain, free to run, free of all the other traumas this world caused you, free to lie in the grass and be silly.

DSC05014-2.jpg

We will love you and miss you forever.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful.

Run with the angels sweetie.....

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I'm so very sorry. I'm glad Sadie finally found you. I wish she could have stayed much longer.

Godspeed Sadie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

A wonderful tribute to a lovely character. I'm so glad you and Sadie adopted each other! And I'm so very sorry for her sudden loss. :grouphug

:f_pink

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm sorry for the loss of your lovely and precious girl.

Godspeed, Sadie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What a story Sadie had. How lucky she was to have finally ended up with you, Deb. I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Oh, Deb, that was such a wonderful tribute! How you loved her, and understood her---and indulged her, as she deserved. What a unique and special lady she was. Though your time together was too short, she was exactly where she was meant to be.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Sadie.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Deb, I'm so sorry you have lost Sadie. Your tribute left no doubt just how special she was.

Run free, sweet Sadie. There are many waiting to greet you.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Run far and fast and free sweet Sadie....................................................

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly