Dewclaw Broke

Yesterday Otis was so happy to go to the Sunday morning greyhound playdates again (winter is finish!)

he ran, he played, and ran and ran..

and everyone stop because there was blood drips...

we all check our hounds (12 hounds at the playdate) andI was the "lucky" one with the bleeding grey...

Otis torn-broke is left dewclaw...

(sorry it's graphic)

bobo-1_zps7f6d53a0.jpg

I'll change the bandage each day.. put some polysporin... contunue wraping it for a few days.. I guess there's nothing else to do but wait for the claw to grow back... Otis is going to see the vet next week for his annual...

bobowrap_zps937935e6.jpg

PS what's wrong with photobucket? my pics are not rotate ok?

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

At least it broke off cleanly! Diamond is the queen of dewclaw ripping - twice when her foot slipped down into holes/divots in the yard and once while coming up our back steps. She's never ripped it all the way off like that, though. Hers is always half-ripped and dangling, and it's ALWAYS been after hours for the vet. I take her to the e-vet to have it pulled off and wrapped, because I can't cope with the blood.

It always grows back just fine (unfortunately).

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

the pics is not great (took it with my tablet camera)

I think the claw used to look like this:

bobo1-1_zps7429d769.jpg

Vjgrey: how long does it take to heal? I'll keep the bandage on as long as we see the quick nerve...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

the pics is not great (took it with my tablet camera)

I think the claw used to look like this:

bobo1-1_zps7429d769.jpg

Vjgrey: how long does it take to heal? I'll keep the bandage on as long as we see the quick nerve...

Diamond's usually only needs bandaged for a few days, mainly so that she doesn't bump it on something. It takes a while to grow back, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all after that.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

yeah! I found where to un-rotate my phobucket pic!

if anyone wants to know: In your User Setting, in album, UNCHECK the box automatically rotate pictures on uplaod.

voila!

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

The same thing happens to Lydia! Unfortunately, a couple times. Once at the dog park, we were the lucky ones with the bleeding hound too. We do the same thing you are doing, for a few days. I'd love to get the darn thing removed, but at 12 1/2, I'm not going to anesthetize her for that. Now I was just looking at it this morning, and it hasn't reappeared---yet? Or could it be that maybe it won't?

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'll take a pic tonight to let you see what it looks like today...

here's my question: during the day (when Otis is alone) and at night I the bandage on it.. yesterday evening I unwrap it to let it "breath" and obviously Otis started liking it like every dog who has a booboo... Do I try to stop him or let him lick when he wants fot the time the bandage in no there?

thanks!

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

My girl has SLO. When she loses a nail she tends to lick the quick. As long as she isn't causing skin damage or getting obsessive about it I usually let her. Normally she licks it off & on but doesn't concentrate on it for very long.

Can you slide a baby sock over it? Just snip off the toe end of the sock. You might need a light taping to hold it up but it could be a bit more airy than a full vet wrap.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png