Help! Suddenly Started Whining At Night!

Guest lovemyblackgrey

Guest lovemyblackgrey

Dear all,

My nearly 7 year old grey has all of a sudden started whining at night! For a bit of background, She sleeps on the floor in our bedroom at night, has done so for years and used to sleep all through the night without probs. I also need to let you know that whining is her 'normal' way of communicating; she whines when she's hungry, she whines when she sees the outside world go by through the window,she whines when we are late for her walk, she whines before she lays down on the bed/floor, she whines at the cats, she whines standing in the middle of the room when there is absolutely nothing to whine about... you get the picture, :violin haha!

3 days ago she woke me up in the middle of the night by whining constantly which has not happened before. I told her to go back to bed etc. but she kep whining, continueously... very odd, she looked ok, came to me for a pet but did not stop whining, would not stop, or stop briefly ( as I told her off) but then quickly started again. This ( her going to bed for a couple of hours but waking up and start whining) has now happened three days in a row and I am a bit at a loss as to why? her routine has not changed, eating habits are the same, she does not appear to have a sore tummy, playfull during the day, everything seems exactly as the same as always except for this strange new habit at night which my DH and I are not too happy about..

I can't leave her outside, we don't crate in Australia and can't leave her unattended inside as she loves to mark our carpets just for the fun of it when we are not watching (looong story :whiteflag ).

if anyone has experience with a similar problem or any tips to break this new, annoying routine ritual it would be greatly appreciated!!

cheers

The only thing I am thinking is her eyesight? She might be feeling anxious if there has been a change in her sight?

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Passion is a huge whiner. When she's not talking, I know something is wrong.

She has whined at night as well. It's usually because she has to potty (she's 10.5 and has to go more often) or because she's on the other side of the room and wants to lay in bed with me.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Any possibility of her having to pee or poop? With my grey, he slept all the way through from 4:30pm until the next day at 7:30am without having to go out for 2.5 years, and then, one night, he started whining. We let him out, and he did indeed have to go. This repeated itself a few nights until we figured out that this could be fixed by letting him out at 9:30pm every night. No more whining.

Edited by christinepi

Guest larock

Passion is a huge whiner. When she's not talking, I know something is wrong.

She has whined at night as well. It's usually because she has to potty (she's 10.5 and has to go more often) or because she's on the other side of the room and wants to lay in bed with me.

My Ella is the same. She whines about everything but when she's hurting she's the anti-whiner. I would still keep an eye out for any other weird behaviour though, hopefully this is just a phase and passes quickly.