Peggy Eating Plants!

Guest KatyC

Guest KatyC

Hi all,

this weekend Peggy has really been trying to tuck in to our plants in the garden. She always has been interested in a juicy bit of grass. But this weekend she's been eating soil and all sorts of plants - which we don't want and also may be harmful, I have no idea.

Is there anything we can add to her food to stop her craving these plants? Veggies or spinach or something?

Or is she just been naughty for the sake of it?!

She had an exciting weekend, so it's not boredom - she had plenty of walks, car trips, went to the pub, met some children, went to town, went to my parents house, played with other dogs etc!

Also wanted to add that she met an 18 month old boy outside the pub, who touched her, touched her nose and held onto her and she was lovely just kissed him of the head and sniffed him. It was so sweet :) as they were the same height!

Thanks

Katy

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything to her food to make her stop eating grass. There's stuff available for cats, but I've never heard of it for dogs. My guys both are grass-eaters, and then they sometimes throw it back up. It's not a huge deal, but if you're worried that she may get into something poisonous/toxic, I would muzzle her with a stool guard when she goes outside. Another idea to discourage her is to squirt her with a water bottle whenever she starts chomping down.

P.S. So glad to hear Peggy was sweet with the baby! Even some of the best behaved dogs wouldn't tolerate being up close and personal with a baby, so that's a good sign for Peggy. My Henry is otherwise perfect, and I know he would hate that.

Guest undergreysspell

I don't know if this will work for you, but Gracie used to love to eat grass and other greenery when I first got her. She never got sick or puked - just loved to eat grass. I started putting frozen green beans on her kibble to help her lose a little weight and ever since then she has not wanted to eat the grass anymore. I wonder if she just needed some greens in her diet. You might try and see if you get the same result - it can't hurt!

Guest KatyC

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything to her food to make her stop eating grass. There's stuff available for cats, but I've never heard of it for dogs. My guys both are grass-eaters, and then they sometimes throw it back up. It's not a huge deal, but if you're worried that she may get into something poisonous/toxic, I would muzzle her with a stool guard when she goes outside. Another idea to discourage her is to squirt her with a water bottle whenever she starts chomping down.

P.S. So glad to hear Peggy was sweet with the baby! Even some of the best behaved dogs wouldn't tolerate being up close and personal with a baby, so that's a good sign for Peggy. My Henry is otherwise perfect, and I know he would hate that.

Good idea! I hadn't thought of the muzzle!

I don't know if this will work for you, but Gracie used to love to eat grass and other greenery when I first got her. She never got sick or puked - just loved to eat grass. I started putting frozen green beans on her kibble to help her lose a little weight and ever since then she has not wanted to eat the grass anymore. I wonder if she just needed some greens in her diet. You might try and see if you get the same result - it can't hurt!

Excellent! I will try and add some greens and see if that helps. Thanks!

Guest KatyC

Peggy sounds like a darling! You could also distract her with something fun when you see her doing that.

This is an idea, although she usually does it when we've just let her out to do a pee quickly before bed or in the morning, or if we are outside in the garden and doing things.

I tethered her to me yesterday with a lead whilst I was in the garden making a bamboo fence, as she just would not stop eating plants and grass! I think she liked being tethered to me! She kept trying to climb on me for a cuddle!

Also tried the muzzle yesterday, but she just sulked and tried to get it off with her paws so I gave in and took it off again.

Also tried the muzzle yesterday, but she just sulked and tried to get it off with her paws so I gave in and took it off again.

Yep, they will do that. Eventually they give up once they realize it's not coming off. We muzzle regularly so they're used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much. I have a "springtime grazer" here. She goes after grass, only in the spring. Usually with no side-effects. Sometimes some will make an unsightly reappearance, but not often. I'll bet the phase will pass soon enough.

There are certain plants that are poisonous, you could look them up. Poinsetta is one, I believe, but if you're just in you lawn (garden?) it's probably fine.

My girls were always quite fond of zinnias and purple coneflowers.....just the leaves please. Made for some funny looking flowers.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Make sure she can't chew on Lilies and Rhododendrons... these are dangerous and subject to rapid change at this time of year which makes them interesting.

Adding beans to the diet is a good idea, but they often snack on greass to address acid indigestion.

When Pogo was a youngster, he considered a walk near any kind of plant-life just a moving feast. :P We corrected, muzzled, and let him eat grass and dandelions, and eventually he grew out of it. Now he sticks to the approved plants. Maybe your Peggy will grow out of it, too.

In the mean time, if you're even the slightest bit in doubt, muzzle+poop cup! She won't like it, but she'll get used to it, and best of all, she'll survive it. ;)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.