Phosphorus In Iams "green Bag"

Guest gryhnd3

Guest gryhnd3

For those of you feeding this, could you let me know the percentage of phosphorus? It is not listed on their website.

Just fyi, our oldest guy (just shy of 14) has been having loose stool for awhile, and on top of it, he's starting to have a bit of incontinence in that area. We have tried canned pumpkin but doesn't seem to make any difference.

He was diagnosed with kidney disease when he was young and has been on prescription renal diet kibble most of his life, and has done very well on it, no kidney problems, always firm stool, good coat, etc. But since he's starting having some health problems (mobility/rear end), he's gotten pickier with eating. He'll eat the k/d food for 3 of the meals (he gets fed 4x a day), but won't eat it for breakfast so I've been giving him whatever I can: spoonful of canned dog food, canned salmon, the other kibbles I have in the house (Acana, Nature's Variety); and maybe those other foods are just too rich for him.

So many people raving about Iams on the other thread that I thought maybe it would be worth a try, but just curious as to what the phosphorus level is (realize it is not low wrt renal diet in Acana and NV). Thanks.

Someone told me about natural, unsweetened apple sauce for loose stools. Believe it or not it works for my girl who occasionally has tummy troubles. I buy the individual serving size and she get about half of a container. Just something else for you to try.

Edited by june

FWIW, I found that my oldies had trouble with the amount of fibre in Iams. Too much poop and they couldn't hang on. If it's only one small meal, your boy will be eating much less of it, but you might want to start slowly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest gryhnd3

Thanks very much for the information. I think I will get a small bag of the Iams and try it for breakfast. He will usually eat just about anything, but for some reason breakfast is the hardest meal.

Guest sirsmom

If your dog is in early kidney disease I wouldn't choose Iams unless its prescription. regular Science diet foods are much lower in phosphorus, especially the senior dry food and canned.

Guest gryhnd3

I don't really have a diagnosed stage at this point, when he was originally diagnosed with a kidney problem (which we found out about because he was having accidents in the house), the vet said to give him the k/d prescription food and that's what he's been on for over 10 years now. His last few labworks have been okay, I don't recall #s but maybe just slightly out of the normal range, which makes me feel the food has worked all these years (despite the fact that I am not a fan of the ingredients/nutritional value). So, he's always been stable but he's always been on the prescription food, so I'm just leery to make too many drastic changes in that respect. And this will only be for 1/4 of his meals, he'll still eat the k/d for the rest of his meals as long as he is willing to eat it. I am sure he's got to be quite sick of the lack of flavor in the same dog food for so many years! Mainly I want to find a way to firm up the output, on the k/d diet, he always had very good output, but I think now that we've added other foods in to entice him to eat, they must be too much for his tummy.