Is Coffee Safe?

Guest widowcali

Harrassing you for a second cup. ; )

Cali and Brighid the Wonder Puppy have both had coffee a few times, and wine, simply because I thought my cup was safe to leave unattended for a few moments. I never saw any ill affects.

She'll probably want a refill in a while. :bgeorge

Greyhounds seem to like their coffee.

The biggest problem is the caffeine. In a dog the size of a greyhound, it would take a significant amount of caffeine to cause a problem. If she starts getting hyper, restless, or has any medical issues that are heart related, then I would call the vet to double check. One glass shouldn't be a problem unless it's an energy drink or contains some exorbitant amount of caffeine.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks, everyone! She didn't seem to have any issues with it, except for ringing the bell on the door for an extra pee break. :flip Weird dogs, I can't imagine why they would like coffee!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Thanks, everyone! She didn't seem to have any issues with it, except for ringing the bell on the door for an extra pee break. :flip Weird dogs, I can't imagine why they would like coffee!

I can't imagine why people like coffee!

~ a dedicated tea drinker

Coffee beans contain the same theobromine as chocolate. It would take a bit to become toxic in a dog the size of a greyhound, I would think.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest FreeholdHound

I have to CONSTANTLY cover my coffee mug. Harry is relentless in his pursuit of it. Coffee is the one thing I will not share w/ anyone , even Harry. The nectar of the bean is mine.

Guest blueberri

I have to CONSTANTLY cover my coffee mug. Harry is relentless in his pursuit of it. Coffee is the one thing I will not share w/ anyone , even Harry. The nectar of the bean is mine.

I hear you!!!! :coffee

My bridge boy, Keno, LOVED coffee and would steal a slurp of mine any time I took my eyes off of it. :wub: I miss that sweet boy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I can't imagine why people like coffee!

~ a dedicated tea drinker

Have you tried Double Dark Chocotlate Mate, by Republic of Tea? It is a desert tea. Yummm. Also like Tea of Inquiry by the same company. It is green tea with roasted rice. I just purchased a Bodium coffee press. Anyone else use this. Have not tried it yet.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

George LOVES coffee! One of the reasons I adopted him is because when I went to meet him he drank out of my coffee cup. I knew we were two of a kind.

Obviously I don't just let him chug coffee! But a class of iced coffee? Don't worry about it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

In my experience, there's nothing a grey won't eat or drink given the opportunity. Luckily, they're big enough, that there are no serious side-effects most of time.

The day a grey ate a 5 lb bag of sugar at my house - was a very- very bad day. But the dog survived.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jcanone

Murray is not a furniture dog but when I sit with a cup of coffee, he will climb onto the couch and then onto me trying to get in my cup. My parents slip him a sip or two when they visit and of course I have to reprimand them. He never has any issues after this and he has pancreatitus to boot.

Cash used to love coffee. We often enjoyed having some together. Maybe you should just let Luna share some with you in the future. She's probably telling you she'd like to have some? Bobber and I enjoy some occassionally. I think some dogs just enjoy it like we do. I usually limit them to a half cup or less at a time as I am overly protective lol.

I have one that will wake up from a dead sleep & come rushing into the kitchen at the sound of a coffee bean hitting the floor. She loves[/] coffee beans & I don't drop them very often. At the rate of two beans per week I'm not terribly concerned. Several of my dogs over the years have loved coffee. I am careful about leaving mugs within the reach of dogs. So far the odd theft of coffee has not posed a problem but it isn't something I encourage either. If anything I think that makes them love it all the more. Kids these days!

Guest kaiandsam

Gracie loves coffee and tea. I can't turn my back on or leave my coffee cup unattended for even a minute with her. She knocks it over and drinks it. I think the fact that I put heavy cream in the cup helps too. She LOVES dairy anything.

My mom's Springer drank a cup of coffee quite often (not everyday, but maybe a couple times a week). He lived to be 13.