What Do You Do If Your Dog Ate Chicken Bones?

Silver got into the garbage tonight and ate 2 checken leg bones. I had planned to take the garbage out right after dinner and then forgot. I've always heard this can kill a dog due to splintering. Any thoughts? I'll call the vet in the morning. I feel awful and can't believe I forgot the garbage. THanks.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Feed bread. It's hoped the bread can help cushion some of the sharper bits as they pass through your Silver's intestinal tract.

Best wishes--from my Silver to yours.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest widowcali

Brighid the Wonder Puppy (not greyhound) has eaten lots of bones. Because the little stinker is way quicker than anyone else.

I make sure she has something to eat, to cushion the bones and give her another reason to poo. So far she has been fine.

However, I have been told that I need to sell her body to science. Between chicken bones, chocolate, grapes, various plastics, plants, etc, she has eaten everything that can kill a houndie and manages to survive.

Okay, have fed him lots of bread. Thanks! Please send him some positve energy - he's already had a rough couple of days and for an old guy it's been extra traumatic. Sunday he was at the emergency vet because he tore a nail (had to be removed) and then yesterday he ended up at the vet again because his leg (different from the leg with the torn toe nail) was red and swollen. Xrays don't show anything so they think it's an infection. And then, last night he eats chicken bones! I'm a wreck!

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Sending positive vibes that everything come out fine. :):goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

He'll most likely be fine. I have had a few instances of my dogs getting into cooked carcasses and I have never had a problem. I think my grandparents old dog way back had half of a diet consisting of cooked bone scraps. NOT suggesting it is safe or recommended, but just that the majority of the time things are usually fine and the bone passes.

If there was a problem, you would probably notice things like not eating, not pooping, pain, wretching, etc. quite soon after. Feeding bread can help to get it through it if was mostly bone with no meat Hope everything works out, sounds like you have had a stressful week!!

i'll never forget my scottie velcro hanging out under the dining room table. we were all eating chicken and the toddler visitng us dropped his drum stick and down it went. no problems. hopefully your dog just gulped it down, no sharp edges. bread and some oil will help move it along. digestive juices are pretty strong.

My first greyhound and little mix Maggie ate two chicken carcasses and crab leg shells from the trash. Vet said feed bread mixed with canned food, some type of oil. I said how much and she said as much as they will eat. Jasmine passed bones and shells with each poo without issue. Maggie wasn't going to the bathroom so had to take her to the vet. After they took her temp she got on the X-ray table and was so nervous she poo'd on it.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge