Jabari 06/08/99 - 04/05/13

RileysLegacy

Writing this post is just about the last thing I feel like doing today, but Jabari deserves a remembrance thread, and if I dont do it now I probably never will. Sorry it's going to be long.

I got Jabari in 2003 to be a companion to my greyhound. A GT member (I believe her username is now gryffinsong) had recently gotten an Italian greyhound and kept posting the cutest pics of him with her greyhound. I didn't know any IGs in real life, but it seemed like the perfect solution since 2 bigs dog was more than I wanted to take on at that time. I remember looking up pictures of other IGs online and wondering if it would be possible to love such a tiny dog as much as a big dog. Ha! :lol

I heard about a breeder in NYC who was looking for homes for 2 retired show dogs. I was at her doorstep the next day. She introduced the 2 IGs, and the second I saw Jabari it was love at first sight for both of us :beatheart Since he had been living in a NYC apartment, there was a lot of things he had never experienced. It was similar to adopting a retired racer. He was very fearful of strangers and loud noises. I thought it would be a good idea to have my mom watch him the first couple of days that I was working so he wouldn't be all alone in a strange place. She took him outside, something spooked him, and he was gone. A lot of you remember that (and so many people helped, which I will never forget :love2 ) so I won't get into too many details, but Jabari was gone for 5 days and 4 nights in the middle of winter. I was sure I was never going to see my new baby again. On the 5th day it started snowing and he went up on someone's porch. Luckily he still had his collar and tag, so the man called me. Jabari was skinny but otherwise fine. It was like a miracle!

After that traumatic experience, Jabari and I became inseparable. He slept in my arms at night, he followed me everywhere, he'd ride in the laundry basket when I did laundry, etc etc. Having a small dog was so much fun. Our relationship was something I'd never experienced with an animal before.

We had so many adventures over the years, the biggest one was moving here to Hawaii. He loved the beach and laying in the sun. As he grew older, he liked his space more, and didn't seem to enjoy coming everywhere with me as much. I was sad, but respected that. He was still the first one to greet me at the door when I came home, and no matter where I was in the house he was never more than a few feet away. When he wanted attention he'd come over and if I didn't react fast enough he'd punch me with his little paw. He was the boss, and I happily obliged. This little 12 lb guy could take a treat right out of 70 lb Riley's mouth, and later 65 lb Legs. He had so much attitude, but at the same time was the sweetest. It was the best combination :heart As he got older his face became almost all white, and more often than not his little tongue would stick out because he didn't have many teeth. I wish you all could have met him. There was no way not to adore him.

As I bet most of us do, I was sure Jabari was going to break the IG record and live to age 25. Up until a few months ago you never would have guessed that he was almost 14. But then in January he had a seizure and I knew in my heart that he wasn't well. A few weeks later I came home and he was extremely sick with a high fever. He was at the vet for 3 days and I wasn't sure if it was the end or not. He was a fighter, though, and he got better for awhile. It might sound weird, but looking back I am thankful things happened like that. I knew the rest of our time was precious and the next couple of months were so special. I spent so much time with him, mostly just sitting next to him and giving him tons of kisses and love. He was eating well and did not seem to be suffering in any way.

I had a trip planned and I hesitated about leaving because I did not want to miss any time with Jabari. But my friend who was going to watch him convinced me that everything would be fine. I honestly did think that I would come home and he'd greet me at the door with tons of kisses like always. For the first few days of my trip, my friend sent me pictures of Jabari playing with her IGs, lounging outside, and cuddling up near Legs. He seemed to be doing great. But then on Friday I saw I had a bunch of missed calls and my heart sank. Jabari had refused food and then was having trouble breathing. She rushed him to the vet and they did xrays and put him in an oxygen tank. I talked to my vet and she told me that he was also bleeding from his nose and she noticed one eye was bulging out. She believed he had a tumor there. She told me that she could try to keep him alive until I came home in a couple days, but she said he wasn't going to get better, and his eyes told her he was ready to go. I wanted more than ANYTHING to give him one last kiss, and hold him one more time, but I couldn't be that selfish. I told her to let him go. My friend and her husband, who were his second parents, came back and they all took him outside to sit in the sun on his blankie. I was able to talk to him on the phone and they told me that he perked up when he heard my voice. Then they said goodbye. I think I'm going to feel guilt and regret for a very long time about not being there, but he definitely knew he was loved, and his last moments were peaceful, so there's not much more I could ask for.

Jabari was the most special thing I've ever had in my life. He taught me so much, and introduced me to the world of IGs. I am so glad I have his IG brother Puzzle here, or else I don't know if i'd make it. And my goofy guy Legs is the best at cheering me up. It is still hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that I had 3 dogs when I left, and now there's just 2. I keep thinking I see him out of the corner of my eye, or expect him to be laying in his usual spots. Nothing feels right without him, and I'm sure in some ways it never will.

I have thousands of pictures of Jabari and co, but here a some that I think capture his life:

with his first brother Riley. He idolized Riley and followed him everywhere.

sittingboys_zpsd4790ef3.jpg

they loved the beach

DSC00901_zps82b4af2a.jpg

rileyjabarileis1_zps22c1f6e8.jpg

then Puzzle joined the family, and they were instant bffs. the cuteness was almost too much to handle.

iggiescouch_zps23063c06.jpg

22416d4c7c4211e1a39b1231381b7ba1_7_zps23

the original family

matchingsweaters_zps2ab1998c.jpg

boysifitbarks.jpg

Riley died in 2010, and I was lucky enough to adopt a new greyhound Legs. As you can see, everyone adjusted quickly. The iggies definitely like having a big brother, they immediately began to follow him like they had Riley.

e026fddc76d711e29d4222000a9e0706_7_zps24

bf6c8242a2a211e18bb812313804a181_7_zps3a

CCDBE177-68F1-430E-8EA1-A8857D7EFEDC-124

this is how I will remember my bebe boy.

5383A37F-9328-45BF-8771-E6081A8D0497-793

editedIMG_6342_zps56e7a158.jpg

cd75e066696f11e1989612313815112c_7_zps8a

Jabari, formerly Ch. Honore's Marc Anthony, 06/08/99-04/05/13

thank you for reading his thread.

Edited by RileysLegacy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was beautiful. I am so very sorry you lost your Jabari. It almost seems that the smaller the dog, the bigger part of your heart they steal.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh Lucy, I have tears streaming down my face. What a beautiful tribute.

I've "known" you and Riley and then Jabari for as long as I've been on GT. You are part of my GT history.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

:grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Lucy, I remember when you adopted Jabari and how those kind people found him when he was lost. I always looked forward to your photos of Jabari with Riley. I miss them both. I'm so sorry :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I know that everything about Jabari's loss is painful and very, very hard. Your tribute to him is so beautiful. :grouphug

Run free, Jabari. You were well-loved.

:f_white

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am absolutely heartbroken for you. Your baby boy - so utterly precious. I am so very sad and sorry.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Guest goofydog

Lucy, I too am so very sorry for your loss. Jabari was a character and a well one at that. Godspeed little fella. We'll all miss you.

Lucy, that was a great tribute to a very special little guy. The pics of Jabari that you have posted in the past have made me think many times of adopting one of these precious little hounds and that is saying something from a guy who has always liked big dogs. I am glad his passing was peaceful and he will be sorely missed by so many of us here on GT. He was and always will be your special little guy.

Run free Jabari, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Lucy, I'm so sorry. I bet Riley is so happy having his little buddy around again.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Lucy, how heartbreaking. I'm glad I was able to meet Jabari.

I'm so sorry. I loved reading about him and the pictures are so precious. You have a wonderful family.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Thanks for the remembrance of your boy. It was difficult for you to write but I'm glad you did because you let those of us who didn't know him feel a little bit of the joy he brought. He is so cute and handsome.

Lucy :grouphug What a beautiful, big tribute to your little man. No regrets, only love as you remember how much you enriched each others' lives. What a terrific little guy.

Godspeed Jabari f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.