Senior Boy Peeing Blood :(

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Hi Folks,

Haka, whose 13th birthday was a month ago yesterday, was peeing blood today. :(

He'd been peeing in the house, BUT, his sister pees in the house and we thought this was him thinking "this is ok"...

Anyway, DH noticed the blood on the morning walk and we went in to the vet at 10am. He peed 2 more times in the house before we got there, which is definitely unusual.

She probed his prostate (which he LOVED, not :rolleyes: ) and there's no raise in temperature. He wasn't happy with probing his penis either, so we assume there is some irritation.

He did pee "on demand" when I took him for a quick walk, so we got a sample and they spun it down to test on the spot.

PH is ok, no crystals... she said it was a bit "dilute" which could point to some issues, and there was a bit of bacteria, but not sure if that was the collection vessel or him.

So-- sending the urine out for culture.

They drew blood, will test that too.

She doesn't think it's an infection in the kidneys (no temperature), and she doesn't think it's prostate, since it didn't feel enlarged to her.

We should hear more tomorrow.

Please have good thoughts for my monkey boy.

Soren

My Thane peed blood. He was a senior. Within days we had to let him go. Kidney cancer. :(

I truly hope Haka gets a different diagnosis.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Just based on my experience with past dogs I'd guess UTI. My vets normally start anti-b's while waiting for urine culture results. It can always be switched if the culture turns out to need a different anti-b. Good luck. Hope your boy is better quickly.

Sam's done the peeing-blood thing twice. First time (about age 6) was UTI. Second time (nearly age 13) was UTI.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest sorenkkg

I know I'm not supposed to freak out until the results are in. That's really hard to do.

This "having 2 seniors" thing, is also really hard to do.

Sigh. :(

S.

Fuzzy peed blood and it was a shaft (sheath) infection. Don't freak yet, it could be a simple fix.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest sorenkkg

Update for today-- as soon as we gave the 1st anti-b pill yesterday, he started to improve! :D

He peed a bunch of times but that slowed down, and by nighttime, he was pretty much his usual self.

He did pee in the house at some time in the night/early morning, but no blood! :D :D :D

Still waiting to hear from the vet with any lab results, but he's not asking to go out 2x an hour anymore... he's not asking to go out at all (which is normal for him, he can hold it all day unless I happen to open the back door and then he just takes advantage of it if the weather is nice, not too hot, the moon is in alignment with Jupiter, etc :rolleyes: )

I'll post again when I hear from the vet! :)

s.

That's good news!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Well, that's very promising! Hoping for good news with a simple fix!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest sorenkkg

Update #2 :)

Just got off the phone with the vet. The urine analysis from the lab (as oppposed to the one they did in the office) and the bloodwork are back-- nothing remarkable!

So, while we wait for the culture-- her opinion is: walks like a UTI, responds (immediately) to anti-biotics like a UTI...we're going with UTI! :D

her slight concern is for his immune system, and why'd he get a UTI... maybe he has a stone or something. She said we'd need imaging to know for sure, and since we're in a bit of a financial pinch right now, and we don't *need* the imaging right now, we're going to wait. She said that was fine, and that if he got a UTI again, we'd really have to do the imaging, which does make sense to us, so we're all good here.

so the only thing we're now waiting on is the culture, to see if we'd need to switch antibiotics. Also, she said since he's a boy, and the prostate can be like a sponge to bacteria etc, we'll add an extra week to his regimen, so 2 weeks total on antibiotics.

phew! I was totally scared there yesterday, gotta say, seeing full-on blood come out of someone you love really really is sucky and scary!

Thanks gang! you're the best!

:)

Soren, Haka and Aleeya.

Great news! I hope the antibiotics solve the problem. For good. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Try not to panic!

George was peeing a little blood not to long ago and showing all the signs of a UTI, so I started him on the antibiotics that I would have gotten at the vet--and within a couple of days he was MUCH better.

Had it been more than "a little" blood, of course I would have taken him to the vet, but he's had so many urinary troubles and so many tests...

I hope your fellow feels better soon.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck