Uti In A Male?

Hi Folks,

A couple of days ago I noticed that Onyx had what appeared to be diluted blood drops dripping out of his "boy parts". That area looked kind of raw and red and it was bleeding, (not much just enough to send me into an anxiety attack). He has also been liking that area more frequently. He shows no behavioral changes. His appetite is good, and he is not glum or seems to be in any discomfort, (other then licking his parts). He is urinating normally, not straining or going more frequently, no accidents in the house. Took him to my vet today. He did an exam, but could not do a UA, due to Onyx having an empty bladder. I went home with 10 days worth of Baytril. Hopefully it will clear up in a few days. I have only had male greyhounds (6 over the past 20 years) and never had this issue. It is more common in females is my understanding. Onyx is 4 and is a heathy and active greyhound. Both of my greys are on a raw diet. I am wondering if anyone else had this happen to a male grey? I hope it's just a UTI and nothing more serious.

Male dogs can definitely get UTIs, so hopefully that's all it is. If he continues to show signs of blood in his urine, I'd definitely recommend getting x-rays, or even an abdominal ultrasound, done. Other possibilities include bladder stones or prostate problems.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Oh, heck yes. My boy gets them, my girls don't. Go figure.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Fuzzy gets sheath infections, which is different from a UTI. The antibiotice required is different, Keflex. He also demonstrates blood. It could also be this.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My boys get them WAYYY more frequently than my girls. In the 10 years I've had Ace, she's maybe had one UTI. Fritz has been here 9 years and he's had more than I can count.

What you're describing sounds more like a sheath infection though...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

A sheath infection? Will Baytril take care of it or I need to get Keflex? My vet did a pretty thorough exam and he diagnosed it as a UTI. Would he have missed this? I guess I am going to see how things go with antibiotics and recheck in 10 days. My greyhound seems to be doing OK, I did not see any blood at all today and I have not seen Onyx licking that area. Hopefully it will just clear up!

Baytril is what I call "the big guns." Whatever his issue is, Baytril should take care of it. Most vets don't turn to Baytril very quickly, because you don't want the dog to build antibiotic resistance to it when something like Keflex or Clavamox will do the job. Then you're "saving" the "big guns" for situations where those others just aren't doing the trick.

Hope he's feeling better!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Keflex was the one that worked after trying several others. We now flush his shaft, once a week, with warm water as a preventative. So far so good. :goodluck

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

A suggestion by one of our vets, a salt & warm water solution, however this was only for minor irritation that Ryder was experiencing. If you can find a little bowl to tuck under there to immerse it, that is best....and wipe down with a wash cloth soaked in the same solution, a couple of times a day.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015