Manuka Honey Question...

How long can I keep an opened jar? I know it says no need to refrigerate, but what is the shelf life?

Took Ace back to the vet for his leg check ( degloving accident three weeks ago). She was amazed at how the healing has progressed using the honey. She had suggested sugar, but I switched to honey after a couple of days. I am to continue to use honey and change the bandage every day. He is on antibiotics for another week. There is still one small open area on the outside leg, and a larger open area on the inner leg. Even using it for another week, there will still be about a third of the jar remaining. My local health food store did not have any eight ounce jars in stock, so I got the sixteen. How long will it remain good?

Forever, I think. Honey actually is a preservative, and they've found perfectly good honey in Egyptian pyramids. The FDA requires a 3-year expiration date on honey, but then they require an expiration date on water, too.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Clawsandpaws

Forever, I think. Honey actually is a preservative, and they've found perfectly good honey in Egyptian pyramids. The FDA requires a 3-year expiration date on honey, but then they require an expiration date on water, too.

Yup. I think at worst, the honey may begin to crystallize, but that's it

Yes, honey will keep indefinitely!

And yes, deboosh - we use it as a topical antiseptic. Manuka honey has powerful antibacterial properties, as well as the ability to wick moisture out of swollen tissues and dry out a wound. It's great stuff! You need to buy Manuka honey with a high UMF factor.

Great to know it worked well for Ace!!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest blueberri

There's a reasonable amount of research around the use of manuka honey on wounds (human), which resulted in sterile honey dressings being used in the hospitals here, particularly for difficult to heal diabetic ulcers, or in patients with poor vascularisation.

I purchased a high UMF honey ointment for Sparks, as he's doing stress-licking and has several raw patches on his legs right now. The ointment has had a dramatic effect overnight, so I'm thrilled!

Try to get the honey as raw as possible. the pasteurisation has the potential to nuke out the goodness.

BTW, a spoonful of manuka honey in hot/warm water is brilliant for colds, sore throats etc :)

Guest tamsworld

This thread is really interesting - my cousin recommended it when our grey tore the webbing between his toes! I thought she was crazy!! :rotfl