My Greyhound Grabbed A Yorkie Today

Guest lucylei

I like the idea of starting up a downtown Toronto group, especially for those who don't have cars or don't really drive much and the trip up to an SSGG playdate is too far, but I'm not a dog park enthusiast. I do prefer using baseball diamonds when they aren't in use. Are there none down there that you could use? You can make portable "gates" to close off the two dugout openings, if they don't already have permanent gates.

Keep in mind, though, that SSGG and presumably Galloping Greyhounds DO have experience with operating playdates and we have experienced members who know how to deal with pack drive situations, as well as minor injuries.

We take our girl to a greyhound only run every other weekend. GGPG uses the ground's horse barn in winter, so It can be a little frightening when a pack comes barreling your way and you're wondering in which direction to run, lol, So yes, I certainly admire the courage of those more experienced members who never hesitate to get right in there and nip any questionable behaviour in the bud. And of course, the camaraderie and meeting other grey lovers is always fun!

I'm looking forward to a SSGG run, but the mud factor's a problem right now~~our girlie's afraid of the bath tub.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

First, she is too new to be going to the dog park. Second, when you do go it needs to be one that separates the little dogs. I don't take mine to dog parks, I don't like that other owners don't have control of their dogs and I don't want to be the owner that doesn't have control.

Lots of dogs like squeek toys, they may or may not have used squeek toys - most likely the trainers just had squeek toys around as most dogs do enjoy playing and the trainers enjoy playing as well. :)

She may have prey drive and you may always have to watch for it but you won't know until you have had her for a while. In the mean time, get to know her, spend lots of time together and just go for long, leashed walks. If you have a fenced yard take a squeek toy outside and throw it around for her, she will love it.

:nod

Are you in Toronto? I'm going to post in the Simcoe group to see if anyone nearby would like to try Stanley park. If you go early in the morning or around dinner time there's no one there. I've also noticed little dogs don't come to Trinity Bellwoods, but there's no fence....

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm in the west end, at the Mississauga border. Rush hour traffic would make it a real pain to get to, but thanks for thinking of it!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm in the west end, at the Mississauga border. Rush hour traffic would make it a real pain to get to, but thanks for thinking of it!

there's a group that meets in St Jacob's but I've been there when only one other greyhound showed up and I've been there when 10 showed up so it can be hit and miss. Look up waterloo area greyhound group on fb. I think this would be a lot closer. They usually meet at 9:30am.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

there's a group that meets in St Jacob's but I've been there when only one other greyhound showed up and I've been there when 10 showed up so it can be hit and miss. Look up waterloo area greyhound group on fb. I think this would be a lot closer. They usually meet at 9:30am.

Looks like it's disbanded, which is surprising as I know there's a lot of greys out your way; one of my oldest and dearest friends lives in Kitchener. If you hear of something starting up again, I'd definitely be interested in bringing my girl to a run. I'm not a fan of the 401 at the best of times, but going eastbound is a nightmare in the summer. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the GRA forum for any new start ups out your way. Thanks for trying though!

My Etsy Shop

• 1 month later...
Guest iconsmum

I have to say, it"s awesome to read so many people standing so solidly on the "prey drive=NO dog park" side of things. These are dogs that very often, and personally I think a bit too easily, wind up owned by people who don't have much idea - or absolutely no idea- what it is they've got, how fast it is and how strong it is. Prey drive's in the blueprint and it doesn't train out - they BREED for the urge to chase down, for pete's sake. It may sit latent for ages. Having had a little incident with a fresh dog, the inexperienced owner sometimes is encouraged to think it's gone away or wasn't there really at all or they fixed it, yada yada.... until the correct scenario presents itself and then boom - If that happens, you have killed or maimed someone's dog and no amount of breast-beating changes that. Added to that is that people are litigation-happy these days and their pets are holy-crap important to them - So as a trainer, I'm solidly with the no-go crowd here -

Looks like it's disbanded, which is surprising as I know there's a lot of greys out your way; one of my oldest and dearest friends lives in Kitchener. If you hear of something starting up again, I'd definitely be interested in bringing my girl to a run. I'm not a fan of the 401 at the best of times, but going eastbound is a nightmare in the summer. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the GRA forum for any new start ups out your way. Thanks for trying though!

It's not disbanded. On you on FB? They have a FB page.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

It's not disbanded. On you on FB? They have a FB page.

Thank you Robin. Maybe it was user error, or a techie issue on their FB page, but I'm glad to know I was mistaken!

My Etsy Shop

• 1 month later...
Guest Dillon10

I'm a little late but wanted to share my experience. Our 4th Grey has. HUGE prey drive, I've had to change everything about how I've always walked my dogs. He actually went after and got a box turtle in his mouth the other day. Screaming until I was hoarse didn't work, it took all my strength to pull him off the turtle. For now on, I'm going to be more aware of the wildlife in the backyard!

I'm a little late but wanted to share my experience. Our 4th Grey has. HUGE prey drive, I've had to change everything about how I've always walked my dogs. He actually went after and got a box turtle in his mouth the other day. Screaming until I was hoarse didn't work, it took all my strength to pull him off the turtle. For now on, I'm going to be more aware of the wildlife in the backyard!

Most people at the dog parks are just not responsible enough or paying enough attention to their dogs, imho. I'd rather set my dogs up for success by taking them to a fenced in area, by themselves or with maybe one or two other greyhounds you know and are comfortable with, and let them play there. To me it is not worth the chance of getting the hound into unnecessary trouble. And imho, as others have said, you dodged the bullet today - big time.

:nod This has been my experience with dog parks as well. People are on their phones or texting or socializing and very few people are paying any attention to their dogs. And IMHO, very few people can read canine body language or are aware of pack dynamics even if they are paying attention. Dog parks are a nice concept in theory, but my dogs will not be going.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest iconsmum

whattever you do, don't scream...it sounds like exciting prey noises to a dog that's already having an adrenalin rush

Figure out how to control the sitch with no noise next time (easy to say, I know)

• 7 years later...

It will depend on the Greyhound.  Your adoption group should probably find you a cat-safe Grey.

We have a super high-prey Galgo.  He will chase, with intent to kill,  pretty much any small moving critter.  He even gets wound up if a flock  of birds are on our lawn. 

However, he does get along quite well with my son's smallish 18 month old beagle.  They have played together in our yard with no issues.

That said...the Beagle does not live here...and has only visited twice this year due to Covid.  

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

15 minutes ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

It will depend on the Greyhound.  Your adoption group should probably find you a cat-safe Grey.

We have a super high-prey Galgo.  He will chase, with intent to kill,  pretty much any small moving critter.  He even gets wound up if a flock  of birds are on our lawn. 

However, he does get along quite well with my son's smallish 18 month old beagle.  They have played together in our yard with no issues.

That said...the Beagle does not live here...and has only visited twice this year due to Covid.  

Thank you so very much for your response.  These 30 greyhounds are arriving from race track in Florida - so they would not know if they are cat-safe.  Our beagle is only 22 pounds and, perhaps because he a medical lab rescue beagle where he was in a cage -- since joining our family -- one of his favorite things to do is go racing through the house.  Now I am worried that our Beagle would be at risk... thank you!

The Greyhound adoption group should cat-test all the hounds before placing them for adoption. 

If the dogs are fostered out the foster family can also do this.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

There is a greyhound out there that would be a good fit.  Just make sure they are cat safe and give plenty of time for then to adjust to each other.   If it gives you any hope back in 1990 I got a greyhound from a track vet said I wanted small animal safe.  Move ahead a year later she was a therapy dog at the hospital and the resident bunny hopped over to the greyhound and cuddle up to her back leg.  The director and I were shocked.  We did move the bunny just to be safe.  She just looked like it was an everyday occurrence.   She did chase and kill a wild bunny in the yard it was all about the chase.

Best to you on your search!

3 hours ago, 1Moregrey said:

There is a greyhound out there that would be a good fit.  Just make sure they are cat safe and give plenty of time for then to adjust to each other.   If it gives you any hope back in 1990 I got a greyhound from a track vet said I wanted small animal safe.  Move ahead a year later she was a therapy dog at the hospital and the resident bunny hopped over to the greyhound and cuddle up to her back leg.  The director and I were shocked.  We did move the bunny just to be safe.  She just looked like it was an everyday occurrence.   She did chase and kill a wild bunny in the yard it was all about the chase.

Best to you on your search!

Thank you so very much.  Would really like to add a greyhound to the family -- need to honor and protect current beagle family member while doing so.  I was told that they do not test for cat-safe as dogs come from Florida, are seen by a vet, then adopted by thankful recipients.   The man running the rescue is wonderful - very caring and knowledgeable - so I will reach out directly to him...   Greyhounds are such amazing dogs.