If You Knew?

Guest BlackandTan

I definitely would. Last November I brought home 12 1/2 year old Zippy knowing that might have a few months together or we might have a couple of years. 10 days later, he went to the bridge, but he went with my knowing that I did what I could for him, and that his last days were as comfortable as I could possibly make them. It broke my heart, but I would do it again.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest MnMDogs

Yes

Like Nancy said, vet could be wrong too. Mork was supposed to be completely blind 4.5 years ago according to the ophthalmologist. My tough old dog can still see a little bit.

But yes, I definitely would

Edited by MnMDogs

It would depend on the disease or condition, purely from a financial point of view I would not be able to afford to pay huge vet bills for a dog, but would be more than happy to care for one that mostly needed my time and love. As somebody already stated dogs don't come with any guarantees but if you know ehat you are faced with you can make an informed decision.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I did, though, I admit that it ended up being an incorrect diagnosis.

Before bringing the dog home, I talked to the vet several times about the situation and how things might progress and ways I could deal with things. It could have been quite a challenge, but I couldn't let him stay in the kennel with me thinking/imagining him possibly suffering alone then dying alone.

But, as first mentioned, luckily it was an incorrect diagnosis and while I did bring the dog home to die in my home .... it wasn't a matter of months, it was just shy of,, darn, I'm having a challenge remembering what year I brought him home... I know it was February, just before his March birthday .. I think it was 2004. I lost him December 2009, just shy of his 6th gotcha day with me... thankfully the vet was WAY wrong with the diagnosis.

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Guest OMGiluvgreys

We adopted a 3 year old racer that we knew there was something wrong. We didn't have any Idea what the problem was. We had her for 7 weeks. Turns out she had auto immune disease that closed off her spinal column. Her name was Pazzo Miracle (Puddin') and she spent her last weeks in a soft bed.

Edited by OMGiluvgreys

If you knew that a dog had an un-curable disease that vets said that they don't know how they have lived this long and then said they don't think the dog would even have another year... Would you adopt or foster it until he went to the bridge???

Yes, we had a forever foster like that. We decided to serve as her hospice home. The odd thing is that in her case we actually found a different, treatable cause for her problems. She ended up staying with us for almost 3 years. She was never well enough to adopt out but she just kept plugging along.

As long as the dog would be reasonably able to be happy, safe and comfortable in my home - yes.

I do have a difficult home (big city, lots of stairs, full work day, etc.), so I need to consider my suitability for the dog, but if I can provide a good home, then definitely.

Even adopting a perfectly healthy dog, we never know what will happen next month or next year, and when those awful things occur we figure out a way to deal with them, so I'm not sure there's much of a difference adopting with a known issue (at least you know what you're dealing with).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Not sure.... But to be completely honest, highly unlikely. I had special needs dogs in the past. The stress, worry and heartache was difficult to handle to say the least. I don't regret having these dogs, but if I had a choice or knew what I was getting into- I would take a healthy dog and do my best to keep it healthy. I applaud anyone who can afford to take in a special needs dog, (afford it both emotionally and financially). However some animals are meant to be with you. Almost 13 years ago I found a tiny thee week old siamese kitten. Very sick, more dead then alive. Vet check confirmed that he had mitral valve dysplasia. His heart murmur was on the highest count. Two separate vets told that I would be lucky to have him for 6 months, 1 year at most. I decided to keep him, figured he will just have a nice home and someone to love and take care of him until it becomes apparent that he is suffering, then I will let him go. Well he is still with me, (curled up in a ball on the couch as I type this), he will be turning 13 in April. He is quite healthy, still very playful and very sassy. You never know.

Guest BlackandTan

I do have a lot of thinking to do....

Its a dog that is in a college program right now that we are lined up to get. I cant remember the exact issue he has but I know but I want to say it is Mitral Valve Dysplasia....

I just dont know how a dog with high maintenance would be with my CRAZY pack...

If the hound was a good fit with our pack, I would. I agree that spending quality time with our hounds while we are fortunate to have them is key, I try to appreciate each day with our hounds because you just do not know what lurks around the corner.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

If I wanted the dog, and I felt I could provide it with a good home, and I had the resources to provide the care it needed (time, money, special household considerations) - yes.

In my reality finances and time DO matter. As much as I might want to do something for a certain dog - I would not take it on without being able to do it all the way. I'd go into debt to care for a dog I already had - no questions asked - I've done it before, and I'd do it again - I've already made a commitment to MY dogs- and I follow through on my commitments.

But I wouldn't jump into that for a new dog unless I knew I had the available time and funds to do it right. I would not go into debt, or risk loosing my job, or providing less-than-enough care for a dog that isn't mine. If I had that available to me and it was only an emotional question - then heck yeah, I'd do it. The pain of loosing a dog never outshines the joy of having that dog if you love it. Even for a short time.

Not sure. If I knew Crystal had hemangio, I probably would not have adopted her. I had only 18 days with her.

That is an honest post. I think it's great that this is a forum where you can answer honestly. When I was looking to adopt the first time, or the second time - I know I wouldn't have adopted a dog if I knew it had a serious medical condition. Certainly not hemangio. My Sobe had that.

Now - if my group approached me and asked me to take a dog with a short life span NOW - I'd consider it. I think it's different to take a dog BECAUSE it has a condition - and choose to to deal with that - than to go looking to adopt and consider a dog with an issue.

I think many of the posters that said yes, including me, - have owned greys before, and would take on "another" grey - with health issues.

Its a dog that is in a college program right now that we are lined up to get. I cant remember the exact issue he has but I know but I want to say it is Mitral Valve Dysplasia....

Whatever you choose is ok. Just remember your family and your pack matters too. And - I hate to say it - but there is always another dog in the future to help.

Were you asked to take in this dog?

How bad is the condition? Kili has mild Mitral valve dysplasia (her murmur is a grade 2-3/6) and is okay to run competitive agility in the future. They don't expect it to really ever cause her any problems though it is of course always a possibility.

If I had known all the problems Kili would have starting at 8 weeks old I would have taken the other puppy. But I didn't and I took her, I love her, so we just deal... but when you get a puppy you are certainly not planning to deal with expensive medical problems right from the get go.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I don't know. I like to think I definitely would (I'm a sucker for seniors) but I'm weak when it comes to serious medical things. I can handle giving pills and cleaning up most things, but give me a wound or a needle and I run the other way.

However, once I'm invested in the care, I will do just about anything (with many groans and the occasional gag, but still). I feel like I'm relatively good at putting aside whatever feelings I'm having and focusing on the task at hand - helping the creature who needs it.

In fact, I think I know that I would. When a couple friends and I fostered puppies for the local shelter, we ended up with three who had parvo. We knew the signs because two puppies we'd had a couple years before also had it. We knew what to look for and were immediately sure and heartbroken when we saw the first unmistakable symptom. We brought them to the shelter where one had a confirmed case and the other two were most likely going to start showing symptoms in a day or two. They gave us the option of leaving all of them to be put to sleep (they don't have the funds to treat parvo, sadly) OR we could leave the very sick puppy and keep the other two until they started showing symptoms. We brought them home and showered them with love and treats and all the good things we could think of. The remaining female left us the next day and her brother ("my" puppy out of the three) made it two more days before he showed symptoms. Watching them, knowing they were not going to make it, was insanely difficult and heartwrenching, but being able to ensure their happiness at the end was definitely worth my pain.

Now I'm thinking of other situations I've been in, too... So yes, I like think I would foster/adopt a dog, even if he/she wasn't guaranteed a long life with me. If I could ensure the quality of his/her remaining time, I hope I would not hesitate.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest ladyhound

Yes. Absolutely and completely, yes. I'd probably question my sanity at times, as would others but I believe I'd do it. And treasure whatever minutes I get.

Edited by ladyhound