If You Knew?

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

I have a question for everyone....

If you knew that a dog had an un-curable disease that vets said that they don't know how they have lived this long and then said they don't think the dog would even have another year... Would you adopt or foster it until he went to the bridge???

Guest PhillyPups

Yep, our hounds come to us with no guarantees, just as we have no guarantee for tomorrow. A lesson I learned from my first greyhound. I have learned to enjoy the moments with each and every one of them.

Guest undergreysspell

Absolutely, the hound would get the best care and all the love I could give it for whatever time it had left. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Special needs can be the most trying, but also the most rewarding experiences. The dog deserves it.

Yes, if I had the means to make sure the dog would be comfortable. With the exception of Gracie, we've only adopted seniors. Some only lasted 6 months. Others as much as 2 years.

What would be the alternative for the dog in question? Knowing love in the short term seems a better choice to me.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yes. If I can give a pup the opportunity of a home filled with love for however long it is, I would do it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I would, I have a very soft spot for special needs and senior dogs :beatheart I think this describes it very well.

deankoontzimage_zps9425c7a4.jpg

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

I would, I have a very soft spot for special needs and senior dogs :beatheart I think this describes it very well.

deankoontzimage_zps9425c7a4.jpg

This. Without question.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

If the dog fit well in my household and I could provide appropriate care, why not?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

That pretty much describes Quilty when we adopted her. They trued to waive the adoption fee but i insisted on paying one bc regardless of how long we had with her, she had value like every other adoptable. Actually, she was priceless :beatheart And I would make the same decision any day of the week. We did get lucky and had a year or so with her.

Yes.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

BTDT and would do it again as long as I am financially able to keep them happy and comfortable. While the loss is awful, I have still gained more than I lost. Those dogs teach you so much about life and dignity and acceptance.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I fostered a Mama girl who I knew had osteo. I only had her for 11 days, but I loved her every minute. I don't regret it in spite of the pain of losing her.

IMG_7706-1-1-2.jpg

For 11 days she had a loving, forever home.

Edited by june

Yes. I did this with Susan, who was diagnosed with kidney disease the week we got her. Brambleberry offered to take her back before we got too fond of her (too late!) but though I knew she would be cared for there until she left this earth, I chose to keep her. As it turned out, she had kidney cancer and didn't last six months, but if I'd known that at the time I'd still have taken her.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'd take that dog in a heartbeat. Finances make no difference. If the dog needed care, the finances worked out, even if it took a while to get the bill paid off.

Vets don't always know everything. They told me my kitten wouldn't live a year. She lived 7 fantastic years.

Guest zombrie

I would - and I did. Sym Ace. We had him a week before he went to the bridge. Never regretted it.

ETA For what it's worth, the vets gave Kodie 6 months to live when she was 2 years old. She's now 9.

Edited by zombrie

I would too. I haven't had a chance like that with a Greyhound, but I fostered 2 absolutely wonderful, perfect, geriatric cats ( probably about 14-16) who were given months to live. One had mammary tumors, and the other was operated on for cancer of the thyroid. She surprised us, and was with me for 2 very good years.

It's worth it.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I would - and I did. Sym Ace. We had him a week before he went to the bridge. Never regretted it.

ETA For what it's worth, the vets gave Kodie 6 months to live when she was 2 years old. She's now 9.

Yep. Vets are far from the do all and end all of actually knowing how much time a pet will have.

Guest LittleGreys

Yes, I absolutely would. And I have. One was a tiny puppy with a severe heart defect. I planned on having the surgery done to try to repair it, but he died before we could even schedule the surgery. My heart broke the night he died. I never thought it could hurt so bad. I still remember him even though it has been years since he has been gone. And I would do it again in a heart beat. Send one my way!!