This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

Our Charlie made it through Chemo with no issues however I would have to say, round 4 & 5 made him more tired. Each pup is different and will react differently. I would not be too concerned as long as Tempo is acting well, I would be smiling.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mission accomplished! Well done, Tempo :wub:

I try to stay out of H&M but have been following your and Tempo's journey. He looks *amazing*. :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Way to go Tempo!!! Nothing like a midnight stuffie killing!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

I'm so glad to see him looking so well and obviously feeling well too. :wub:

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest 18tjettagrl

I'm so sorry! Prayers and thoughts to your baby and you. Looks like Tempo is rather comfy! 😄

Edited by 18tjettagrl

today is tempo's 6th birthday. i hope this wont be his last. i had to work, and since every one of tempo's days is functionally his birthday, replete with lavish gifts (a 12,000 BTU air conditioner, an unlimited supply of desiccated bull penises and other ghoulish treats, weekly trips to the dog bakery, and my obliging his compulsive desire to play fetch at the dog park, even at 1:45 in the morning), this evening was a modest celebration. first, we played fetch despite the fact that we were experiencing national weather service emergency-level flood rains:

9352510729_d48bbb0855_c.jpg

this photo was taken while i attempted to hide under a tree for shelter as my dog simply waited for me to come out and kick the ball. this process was repeated several dozen times.

then it was time for dinner. tempo is a connoisseur of the disgusting. but since grocery stores dont sell dead squirrels, discarded chicken bones from the edge of sewer grates, and frozen pieces of dog poop, we settled for a plate of herring, cheese, and kibble, all of which he promptly vacuumed away.

9355287654_767e208538_c.jpg

9355289664_5fc78634cd_c.jpg

9355292016_8972fc0745_c.jpg

Edited by jaym1

Happy Birthday, Tempo!

Love his taste in foodstuffs. The only thing you may have forgotten was the 3-day-dead bloated frog at the edge of the sidewalk (or similar delicacy). :lol :lol :lol

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Aww...happy birthday Tempo!

Wishing you many more! :confetti

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

:blowcandle HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TEMPO!! :blowcandle

May your fishes and cheeses always be stinky :chow .

p.s.: if Tempo loves really gross stuff Hare Today takes the cake, I think - i.e.: https://www.hare-today.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_35&products_id=185 you could also check out the whole prey section. Even they don't carry squirrels, though.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Happy B-day Tempo!!! :b-day

Guest OPointyDog

Happy Birthday, Tempo!! :balloonparty You sure are lucky to have such a great dad to give you such nice birthday treats!! Here's hoping for many more!

An aside: One of the funniest comedy routines I've ever seen was years ago, and the guy talked about gourmet dog food, and how what people put into it is very different than what dogs really want. If dogs designed the food it would include cat poop, chicken bones, dead squirrels - that's what they really want! Ours are currently obsessed with a dead woodchuck that's covered with flies and sitting by the curb a few doors down....

Guest Marsroving

Happy birthday Tempo! May you live to be 110 and break every age record set by any animal! I love you so much and wish I would have known sooner. Mars isn't stingy and has some fantastic treats he wouldn't mind mama shipping out for birthday bash fun.

Happy Birthday, Tempo! :blowcandle

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• 1 month later...

I hope that this thread will be useful to people in the future who have to deal with the same diagnosis that I am dealing with for Tempo, and that they will be able to follow the same arc of treatments expectations, successes, and disappointments that I've been through in order to understand what might be in store for them.

Sadly, on the day on his sixth chemo treatment, almost five months after amputation, x-rays showed that Tempo's cancer had spread to his lungs. It was yet another devastating turn of events in an already heartbreaking story. While it has been wonderful to see Tempo return to his happy self, to have fun and enjoy the world, it has also been a series of crushing disappointments, as each successive chance for him to be one of the few miracle dogs who beat this disease has slipped away time and again.

Our options are now limited. He has now had two IV chemo treatments with doxorubicin instead of carboplatin, in the hopes that this different drug might be more effective in preventing oncogenesis, and will give him more quality time. This is all that matters now: quality time. Tempo is a young dog -- only 6 years old. On first diagnosis I had hope that I'd get a year or two more with him, after all, he was young, strong, and healthy. Now I'm hoping for just a few additional good months, and that's being optimistic in a situation where optimism has proved foolhardy at every turn. He is also taking 400 mg of artemisinin every night before bed.

Tempo is still well and vigorous, so I am dedicating a lot of time to him so that he can enjoy the simple things: playing fetch every day, sniffing the bushes and the grass, chasing other dogs at the park, and laying in the shade. It is difficult to remain positive, but remembering my mission makes it easier: make sure he enjoys the rest of his time, and keep him from being in pain at the end of his life. It helps to think of the horrible things a dog with cancer would go through in the wild, and how he will never have to face that. Likewise, he would have been put down immediately at the track, whereas I have been able to give him months of good time, and even these 6 months have seen an ocean of great days for him that must seem endless from his perspective. Still, it is tremendously sad.

Here he is this morning, enjoying his early morning at the park, playing fetch and staring off at the squirrels racing up the fence.

9708563539_cb5ee718df_c.jpg

I am so so sorry for this news...hope you still have many many good days with Tempo.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross