This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to read this news. Hoping you and Tempo have many more wonderful days.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I am so very sorry

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

We will all keep Tempo in our thoughts and hope he continues to enjoy his days, weeks and months ahead. That pic of him shows that he is loving life right now and that is all that matters.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh no! :cry1

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Marsroving

I'm so sorry. I cried when I read this.

I know you're going to o everything in your power to make Tempo the happiest boy around. He's so lucky to have you.

No matter what the odds I will be rooting for him.

I have been lurking here all along and am so sorry to read this sad news. Try to remember that it is only sad for us humans, Tempo doesn't know. Time is so much more fluid for them. Keep making memories and wonderful days with your gorgeous boy. We are all here for you.

Can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to hear this. I have been following your story of Tempo's battle with this awful disease since the beginning and cheered for you with every happy/positive post you made as well as the great photos of your lovely boy. I have no advise, other then I have been through this with my own greyhound (amputation wasn't an option for him) and know how devastating osteo can be especially when the dog diagnosed is young and healthy (just as my greyhound was, still fairly young and very active and healthy). Take it one day at a time. We are all thinking of you and Tempo. Just so sorry...

• 2 weeks later...

i thought i was going to lose him this weekend, when i was in the ER at midnight. he suddenly could neither lay down nor get up on his own. it was a nightmare to watch. but we adjusted some medications, and he is closer to himself again. seeing him bark at the dogs at the dog park, and work on digging a hole in his favorite spot this afternoon felt like an extra gift on top of a gift. and it was so nice to come through the door this evening and see both rock AND tempo there waiting for me, wagging their tails. right now im laying on my new bed, which is simply the floor of the living room, with both of them, and tempo is snoring like an old man right next to me. it really is one day at a time at this point.

its funny, when he first got ill i kept envisioning me lavishing him with sunset walks in beautiful places, and trips to the beach and all kinds of stuff. but greyhounds are creatures of habit, and those were my ideas of dog heaven, not his. tempo's idea of heaven is peeing in his favorite pee spots, sniffing the neighbors garbage on the other end of the street, and digging a big hole to collapse in at the dog park. plus his late night, post-walk serving of cottage cheese and sardines. so these are the things i do with him as often as possible.

anyhow, we'll find out more tomorrow at the oncologist. i need to figure out what was behind his sudden back end weakness. the most difficult thing here is going to be to maintain perspective, and to make sure that, when the time comes, i can let him go before its too late, and not after. when things get worse only incrementally, it's easier to lose sight of where things stand. that is all i'm concerned with right now.

Good thoughts for the Oncologist visit tomorrow. I hope it was just some discomfort Tempo had and the meds seem to be working now. I hope he continues to do 'his things' for a very long time to come.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

well, there is no metastatic activity in the rest of his body, so far as they can tell. however, the cancer in his lungs has spread significantly, and that may in fact be whats making him feel so poorly. with that in mind, there will be no more chemo, just pain management. the decision now is whether to end things on a good day or wait until he can no longer do what he enjoys. i dont quite know how to make that decision, but i really want to do everything i can to avoid another situation like this weekend. this will be the toughest part to call.

You are his best friend and he will look to you to make the decision to spare him pain and make him whole again. G-d bless.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Keeping you and your boy in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

as posted in the osteo thread, tempo died this afternoon. he had been doing relatively ok during the daytime, but was in pain and not sleeping at night. and even when he was well, he was so very slow, and had great difficulty laying down and getting up. as i mentioned earlier, i didnt want to wait until it was too late, and didnt want him to have to live through the very bitter end of cancer. i felt it was my responsibility to him to make sure he never went through that, even though, for my own sake, i wanted to be with him for as long as i possibly could.

today i spent the morning laying in bed with him. we went to the park twice, and he had two lavish meals. it was a beautiful, sunny day. he even got excited enough to carry his fetch ball with him both times we went out. my only regret is that, when the time came, it happened so quickly -- one second he was here, the next he was gone. since he couldn't lay down, he got the injection standing up. when they asked me right beforehand if i wanted to hold him, i said "no," not really understanding what they meant. i thought they were asking me to hold him while he was injected, and that he would then lay down so that i could sit with him while he drifted off. instead he died in someone else's arms, and thats very hard for me to think about right now. the instant he was gone i already missed him. still, it was very fast and peaceful.

i have rocko here with me now, but its not the same. walking only dog feels strange and grotesque. and though i love rocko, tempo was exceptional. his intelligence and joy in just being wherever he was was palpable, and my connection to him, from the moment i first saw him, was more important to me than almost anything else in my life. i already wish i could come home to him barking at me loud enough to make the neighbors angry and wagging his tail just one more time.

so this brings this thread to a close. tempo was only six years old. from diagnosis to the end it was six months and a few days. i did everything i possibly could -- made big decisions quickly, paid dearly for every possible therapy, procedure, and medication -- and none of it helped him to even reach the median survival time. for those reading, and maybe just starting this process, i still would have gone with the amputation. those handful of months afterward, during which he was extremely well, were great times for him. in fact, looking back, it seems like so much time now -- a veritable ocean of time, to be honest -- even though it really was just a few months. and that makes me think of how much time he should have had, and how crushingly unfair it is that he has missed out on all of it. the whole thing is terribly sad.

thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement.

Edited by jaym1

My heart goes out to you. You are the best dog dad and Tempo knew that. I am so very sorry for the Tempo-sized hole in your heart right now. Please take care of yourself. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

You were so devoted to Tempo and gave him all that you could.

He may not have been in your arms, but I am sure that as his spirit slipped out of his body it brushed against you on the way the other side. Close your eyes and you will feel that caress....

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png