Recommended Anesthesia Procedure

Sometime last year, I think, someone posted a recommended procedure for greyhound anesthesia from a special vet. I thought I copied it and kept it, but I can't find it now (it may have been lost in a new laptop data transfer).

Did anyone keep it? Or can someone tell me where to look or who to ask?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Completely agree with Dr. Stack's article. Most of the commonly used drugs these days are safe for greyhounds, and there are lots of good protocols available. I especially agree with her comment that "often, the safest anesthetic protocol is the one your veterinarian has the most experience with."

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Very sensible article. My vet has put my old boy under quite a few times by now - he is eleven and a half - for one thing or the other, and I feel she has got it down to a fine art. Something not mentioned there, but which does really seem to make a difference to speeding up his recovery time, is opting to use an IV line to maintain hydration.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

If your dog has ever had a seizure, make sure the vet and/or anesthesiologist knows. For a dog who's had seizures, ketamine may not be a good choice.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)