Other Breeds Compatible With Greyhounds

Guest LewisHWilson

It really depends on the individual hound. Two of my Greyhounds are rough and tumble, wrestle, hardcore play hounds. They will chase and then collide like football players with my Ibizans. They play really, really rough together. Luckily, the Beezers have tougher skin (so the girls don't harm them when they are nipping, biting necks, and being mouthy) and soft mouths (so they don't harm the Greyhounds).

My other 2 Greyhounds don't play with others. They either run with others or play by themselves. My Galgo runs with the Greyhounds but plays with the Ibizans.

Guest karilynn

My boy, Bullet, gets along great with most breeds and likes just about every dog he meets aside from really obnoxious puppies who don't get the hint to leave him alone. His BEST friend in the whole world is a springer spaniel from the dog park named Riley. He also really loves golden retrievers.

Here he is with his best buddy using him as a pillow:

303618_10100381780243122_1935744861_n.jp

I

am adopting a 4-year old male greyhound named Rocket next Saturday and it's just question I've had in the back of my mind. He showed a lot of interest in smaller dogs, so as of now he's only compatible with larger ones. My girlfriend loves smaller dogs (Bichon, poodles, etc), but I've pretty much ruled that option out due to Rocket.

I'll definitely wait a few months to make sure he gets used to me and the apt, but from the way it sounds with proper training he may be able to tolerate smaller dogs.

You're right -- don't rule out him getting along with a smaller dog, especially a confident one who isn't intimidated. My Nutmeg can get an unhealthy gleam in her eye around a submissive small dog, but a family member's take-charge dachshund bosses around all my hounds.

On the other hand, some greyhounds fulfil a lot on the list of people who like small dogs -- so your girlfriend may change her mind if Rocket likes to cuddle with her and tolerates being a model for designer collars. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter