Crate Rub

Guest Firedancer

Guest Firedancer

We adopted our girl, Dancer 4 months ago. She still has no fur on her back legs. Does anyone know if her fur will return? I've heard that this could be a sign of a thyroid issue. Any thoughts?

Don't be too quick to jump on the thyroid bandwagon. First, make sure she isn't showing any symptoms. "Bald butt" is pretty common and isn't necessarily indicative of a malfunctioning thyroid. Here's a link to Greyhound Medical Idiosyncrasies.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Summit won "barest bum" one year at an adoption group picnic. He has no hair on his bum or belly and he's turning 8 this year. Nothing wrong with his thyroid.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Leah has been here 6 years and is been completely healthy and vibrant, but the butt is kinda bald :) It has filled in a bit, but not much. There have been several good discussions on GT about possible causes - if you do a search you can find them.

She's been on a good diet, some raw, lots of fresh air and exercise and she's loved plenty -- but the butt hair is still sparse. We just don't tease her about it and she's agreed not to tease me for being fat and slow :hehe

This was on her gotcha day in '08...041008+038.JPG

This was last summer....

018.JPG

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

It probably depends on the type of hair loss. Is the whole leg bald, or is the baldness more sort of "patchy" as if it has been rubbed off? Some baldness is from crate rub, whereas other dogs just have bald legs.

Teague had large bald spots on his thighs when I got him which was from crate rub.

100_0366-1.jpg

It took quite a long time (6-12 months) to grow in, and as you can see it is still a little thin, but mostly filled in. I am guessing some of the hair follicles were too badly damaged.

100_1009.jpg

Bald thighs is not caused by 'crate rub'. I suspect it's somewhat genetic and also associated with various factors like activity level, diet, and season. One of my greyhounds is very hairy and has never had a bald spot on his body. My other one has bald thighs that come and go. It never fills in completely, but is sometimes balder than others. Many racing whippets, who are housepets and never crated, get bald thighs like our greyhounds too.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Summer's bald thighs come and go, too, although they never fill in completely. Her belly seems to be permanently bald, as is under her neck. And I know that the neck baldness is not caused by a collar, since she only wears a collar for random walks and for therapy dog work. She came to me with fur on her neck (see my siggie), lost it, regrew it and then lost it forever.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance