Limping And Cold Front Paw

Guest sorenkkg

Guest sorenkkg

Aleeya, 13yrs old, is limping on and off, one of her front paws. No swelling. Improves with metacam, worse when it wears off.

Tonight, I noticed the leg is colder than the opposite one.

I'm going to take her to the vet on Monday, as opposed to rushing to the evet, bc she can walk, is eating, but I don't even have a clue about what this could be... ?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Soren

Possibly a blood clot affecting the circulation in that leg? More severe cases lead to the affected limb being paralyzed, but maybe she just has a mild case and a partial obstruction to blood flow? Might ask the vet to consider low-dose aspirin therapy as greyhounds can be prone to clots and strokes.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Could it also be neurological?

Renie had cold feet when she had a tumour in her cervical spine .. .but though it was mostly her front feet, they were all cold. Vet thought it was just the cancer using up all her energy, poor girl. :(

Please let us know what the vet says!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

If she was laying down "funny" and blocking blood flow to one foot, it might make that foot colder.

Try to get a video of her walking when she's showing the limp. If she's anything like my old boy, she'll walk just fine at the vet's, so it would be useful to have a video to show the vet.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

:hope Sending good thoughts.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Alichou

Could be a blood clot. This happened to my 20 year old cat a few weeks ago. She just limped a bit and then gradually wasn't able to walk. The vet was pretty sure it was a blood clot. By the time I got her to the vet (a day or two later) the blood clot had moved and she was prescribed gabapentin for nerve pain. Since then she's improved a lot and pretty much back to normal. It's best to get them to the vet as soon as its noticed, that way any further damage can be prevented.

Guest sorenkkg

Back from the vet, here's the update:

We find it weird that the paw she's limping on isn't (always?) the one that is cold. I hope we didn't get that wrong, since of course, her legs weren't cold at the vet :rolleyes:

After a lot of poking and prodding, there were some loud GSDs when her left shoulder was moved around, more so when it was moved/stretched backward than forward.

We had xrays on file from January (they were looking at her neck, but got both shoulders) and there's nothing significant in them.

She does get better with metacam (both in limping/pain and in extremity temperature... she only gets cold at night, when the pill is about to wear off).

So-- we think she has some pain in her biceps, and the recommendation is to limit her mobility (specifically, no going upstairs at night, which is her one big thing each day), keep up with the metacam unless we see marked improment, and we can apply some warm compress and do some massage.

We do still want her walking, so we don't lose any mobility, but don't want to aggravate it.

No talk of blood clot from the vet, or of needing to change meds or anything.

thanks everyone for your input and good wishes! :)

Soren

• 1 month later...
Guest sorenkkg

Just wanted to post an update here-- after a month of this, where at first she did ok on the pain meds, and could still do things like stairs up to our room at night, she gradually lost the ability to put weight on that leg. It was still clearly in her shoulder.

We switched from meloxicam to tramadol to rimadyl, and once we saw that nothing was helping, and that she REALLY was not using the leg at all, we went to the vet again.

A new xray showed a giant tumor in the top of her front leg bone (ulna?) that was actually protruding from her chest a bit-- we were sort of hoping she had dislocated her shoulder, but of course, no such luck. It is apparently a very common place for osteo, and a very fast growing tumor.

She passed away peacefully just after we saw that xray, this past monday. She was 13yrs, 1 month, 2 weeks, and pure joy the entire time.

Thank you all for your support here as always!

S.

I am sorry for your loss of Aleeya.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Even though you did not know of the tumor, you made every effort to do everything you could to ensure she did not have pain. You had a long time with her, but I am sure it doesn't seem like enough. My heart goes out to you.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)