Sign in to follow this  
maximum

Canadian Peeps - How Do You Protect Yourselves And Hound(S)?

Recent threads (including the one about Chevy - so glad he is on the mentd! :beatheart ) has me wondering about how best to protect myself when I get to having a hound again. Pepper spray, tasers and billy stick type things are illegal here in Canada. What do people do when walking their dogs? A baseball bat can be unwieldy but I can't think of what else can be easily (and legally) obtained and carried...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

I'm quite rural and have several stout sticks 'stashed' at a few spots along our normal walking route, which is a lonely gravel road, with only 10 houses at this end.

The dog that was stalking us ..and finally attacked ...us last winter is no longer there and the other dogs (6) are all quite friendly.

Loose...but friendly.

We are, in fact, the only dog owners in this area that actually have a fenced dog yard....

All the others ...mostly LabX's...are loose all the time, but do not wander off their own property.

That's 'just the way it is' here.

A new dog moved in last fall and he came out onto the road and approached us a couple of times but was respectful of my stick.

He seems friendly but I wil never ever trust a strange loose dog again.

His owners are very understanding of my concerns, and he has a wonderful recall.

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

I've run into many off leash dogs. I have never been attacked. Carrying a weapon on every walk on the off chance I get attacked, to me, is like carrying a gun when I hike because I MIGHT be attacked by a bear. Does that mean that we MIGHT get attacked and I have nothing to defend us? Yeah. But the chances are not worth carrying a dangerous weapon on every walk. The dogs I have met roaming have usually been friendly or at least non-threatening. There's one house where they have two huskies and they are sometimes loose. They approach us but Summit is husky aggressive so although they are friendly dogs I always warn them off. I just take a firm stance, face the dog and yell "STOP!" In a deep, assertive voice. Works well. Won't stop a truly aggressive dog but I've never met a loose aggressive dog yet.

I think carrying any sort of weapon you are asking for trouble with the law, even if it is for use against a dog. I will check with my friend who is an OPP officer.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I'd like to know too. One street over are two rescued huskies who are completely wild and untrained - their owner walks them on flexies and has no control. I only run into them occasionally on our last walk at night, and then stop / go the other way, but it frightens me because those dogs go berserk if they see us, and if one of them got away from the owner there is no doubt they'd attack my dogs. And what use would the owner be with the other foaming at the mouth to join the attack.

All the other dogs in the neighbourhood are either friendly or under the control of experienced owners. But these guys really, really scare me.

I would love to be able to carry something with me to help me intervene with more effectiveness than I can offer unassisted.

Guest Audeamus

I specifically walk Gir when people don't walk their dogs since my dog is the leash reactive dog that does not at all react well to other dogs on walks.

Like Krissy, if Gir isn't being reactive that walk, I stomp and loudly say "STOP". I also don't carry any weapons since I can just as easily kick a dog off Gir if it's progressed to that point. And if has progressed to that point my leash reactive sighthound cross is probably introducing the dog into a world of pain.

Edited by Audeamus

I, too, would be interested to know what we can legally carry in Canada. Not very much, I would think. I would happily carry one of those extendable baton/wand things but I'd be afraid of hitting my own dog! But I think those are illegal for the general populace to carry, anyway.

The only thing I can think of which is probably legal is a riding crop. But there's not a lot of heft to one of those and I don't think it would be very effective.

I'd really like something which isn't in my way?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Has anyone ever know a dog to be attacked while out on a walk? Other than the coyote case in Guelph?

Greyhound Collars on Etsy: Collar Town

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I protected my hounds by starting a fun run group. I don't trust all the loose dogs around here, my first boy was attacked so we started with weekend runs several years ago. One of the diamonds we use is not too far from me, so I often run over during the week and give everyone a good workout over there. The backyard suffices for the rest of the time. I don't miss the walks at all, I was so nervous and tense, and awfully tired of dealing with cut feet and crap everywhere. I realize I'm very fortunate to have the diamond this close!

Edited to add: You can get bear repellant at Canadian Tire, but I wouldn't have any faith in it stopping a dog that's attacking.

Edited by kjw

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

I can't say I have ever even thought of carrying a weapon. :dunno Nor do I really feel the need or want to. I guess I always just figured I would have to use my hands and feet if I was ever to run into a seriously aggressive dog.

If you really feel the need to protect yourself, you can carry a walking stick...my friend used to make his own for walking in bear country, the end actually had a metal spike in it but it didn't look like a weapon. Also, you can't carry people mace, but you any get bear mace very easily :) I would want to check out the legalities of such things first though.

I have been lucky but there have had plenty of incidents in Edmonton and area where greys were attacked while out on walks.

I live outside of the city but every other dog in the area is off leash - and not fenced in, all the time. I have made a good walking path through our property and that, along with the running yard is what we usually do. Of course can only use that in the summer so we do end up walking the roads in the winter. So far, we have been lucky but have often thought of carrying a really big stick. .

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Guest Blitzkrieg

aerosol can of hornet spray - that stuff has like a 25 foot range

you are allergic to bees..right?

Guest cendrine

How about a stout walking stick? Not an aluminum cane but a real wooden walking stick?

You can find one at a medical supply store or possibly a pharmacy with a decent home health section.

I saw one fellow walking a small dog using a five foot long branch, one and a half inches wide, gnarled and weathered, as a walking stick. Looked pretty formidable.

While I do not live in Canada, in the Netherlands it's also illegal to use tasers etc.

Spriet was attacked a few months ago by an off leash Malamute (click here to see a picture). And in our small town there's a Labrador that is always off leash (the owner refuses to put him on leash) that seems fine with other dogs but hates Spriet.

I don't know what to do about it and I'm scared to walk both Spriet and Tibbie at the same time. :( Now I always carry collapsible umbrella that fits in my pocker. This might sound silly but at least it's something, I don't know what else I could do. I know when a dog approaches I don't dare to kick him. It might not work for a vicious dog but it already helped to push away some dogs that were haunting us.

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Fundraiser for the Greyhounds in Ireland: click here!

We don't walk our pups. They get the full run of the outside fenced area and that's it. When we first moved here, the neighbour across the road had a sheppard they left loose all the time and kept telling us it was friendly, well not really. The other neighbour up from us has a dog that we have been told is vicious and will attack any dog being walked and it runs free as it's a "farm dog". Lynn was terrified to walk the pups around here due to this and had to drive to a closed school to walk Charlie and Jack. So we installed a fenced area that is large enough for them to do zoomies and have their fun. The only walks they get is on a beach in Maine at our vacation home and that is sometimes scary due to all the loose dogs...on a beach where it states to leash your dog.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am curious, do none of you have a decent Animal Control that you can call? I live in a little hole of a town but I've been super impressed with AC. I called them in the summer about the first Malamute. He is huge and old. Very friendly, but as I said Summit does not appreciate huskies. They left him loose in their front yard ALL the time. For the most part he just lays there but if he sees someone with a dog he gets up and tries to say hello... he'll cross the street to do so. I was concerned he was going to get hit by a car (even though the house is in a quiet residential neighbourhood, so minimal and slow traffic). I returned the dog once or twice to the owners and it kept happening. So finally I called AC. Never saw the dog loose for the rest of the summer. They have a younger husky that they keep tied in the backyard sometimes. The other day it came barrelling around the side of a neighbour's house when I was out with Summit. So I called AC again. Haven't seen the dog loose since.

You should be able to call your local AC. If you know the address of the dog they will pay them a visit and talk to them about leash by-laws. They can face fines and money talks.

Now I only call AC if I need to. I've found several other loose dogs who were all loose by accident (gate left open by the hydro company, etc.). In those cases I just return the dog to the grateful owner.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

This is similar to the dressage whip I suggested in Chevy's thread.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees: Aiden. Bea. Punkin. Annie. Miss M. Cletus, knot like the others.

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno.Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest mbfilby

We don't carry anything, but pepper spray is legal in Canada (well, in our province at least). It is marketed and sold as bear repellent. Most sporting good outfitters sell it, but it is behind the counter. The gov. rules specifically state that customers must ask for the product, and no floor displays are allowed.

Thanks for answers from everyone. Bear repellent is interesting. It isn't too bad around here; I hadn't really ever thought about it before either. But we do have the odd loose dog around, especially behind a local school. There is a running group for weekends here,too. I always carry treats and have held onto a couple of escapees that way. :D

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Okay, so here is the official story from the OPP officer.

You cannot carry a dangerous object as a weapon in Ontario. Which means no, you cannot wield a golf club while walking your dog because clearly you are not using it to golf. You CAN carry an umbrella if there is a reasonable chance it might rain and use it as a weapon if the need arose. You could probably make a case for a walking stick. I think a riding crop wouldn't be enough protection and would probably be considered a no-no.

Still waiting to hear back about carrying bear repellent in the city.

Like us on Facebook!

You can carry a swiss army knife.

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Greyhound Collars on Etsy: Collar Town

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

You can carry a swiss army knife.

lol, I suppose you could but I don't think it makes a good weapon against a dog attack. I'd be far too worried about stabbing my own dog. Summit has been in a dog fight before and there's no way I would have dared to use a knife. We just each grabbed our own dog and pulled them apart. Of course harder to do when it's a loose dog and there's no one else to help. Could easily accidentally puncture a lung and have your dog in worse shape than it might have been just in the dog fight.

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Blitzkrieg

jeez...they certainly have some draconian laws in Ontario.

maybe a few rolls of quarters in a heavy sock

You can carry bear repellent so long as you intend only to use it against dogs. So if a HUMAN attacks you and you use your bear repellent (even though you bought it with the intention of using it for dog attacks) you'll probably get into trouble. But using it against a dog is okay.

Like us on Facebook!