Tuna?

Guest TheModernMutt

As far as I know what most people are looking for in fish oil, grizzly salmon oil etc. is Omega 3s. Fatty cold water fish like salmon tend to have more Omega 3's than tuna. I am horrible at math but it looks like an entire can of tuna may fall short of one fish oil capsule. I *think* to do any good you'd have to replace a lot of your dogs diet with tuna - which my guys would be all about. I have to literally lock myself in the bedroom to eat a tuna salad sandwich in peace.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

We feed tuna, also salmon and mackerel but we also give a couple salmon oil capsules daily.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Fish oil capsules are great for your hounds heart health. My dogs look at them like treats. I just hand them out and they eat them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If the only thing you are using the fish oil for is coat condition, tuna straight from the can would probably be enough. But Omega 3's are also a potent anti inflammatory, and provide a lot of other health benefits, just as in people. For that level of supplementation you would need to replace a significant portion of their daily food with tuna or other coldwater, fatty fish like salmon, mackerel and sardines. I'm not sure that would be as cost effective as a straight fish oil supplement.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

There are benefits to both. Fish oils, from what I know, are much more concentrated and have higher levels of omega 3, DHA, EPA ,etc., you would have to eat a lot of canned fish to get this.

At the same time, whole fish has a lot of other beneficial things in it like vitamin D and other beneficial fats. These apparently make the absorption of nutrients a lot better than just a fish oil on its own.

I do feed fish oil daily, but also feed tinned or baked fish 2-3 times a week as well. I prefer tinned sardines and salmon over the tuna, if I am not mistaken tuna contains higher levels of heavy metals, mercury, etc. I wouldn't want to feed that every day, since it is not recommended for humans. :)

Guest Clawsandpaws

Tuna eaten in quantity, at least by people, can cause mercury poisoning related problems. Not sure what the consequences would be with dogs given the shorter lifespan, but something to consider.

^ this is what I would be afraid of

Also, most canned Tuna has a lot of sodium, so you should buy low sodium cans. If the Tuna is in oil, and not water, check what kind of oil it is actually in.

Guest tnchelle

I do tuna and sardines straight from the can about 2 times a week ontop of my greys kibble.

I have never fed sardines but after reading so much about them here on the forums, this is what I was going to suggest as well, instead of tuna.

But of course it might all depend on your Greyhounds digestive system as well, TheModernMutt, as to whether they can handle it or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear - this reminds me I haven't given fishy treats here in a while! My grey loves sardines, and the alltime fave - JackMack. I can only give that outside, so now that the weather's getting nice I can start that again. I used to give 1/2 tin of sardines or some JackMack a couple times per week. Both are super cheap, and of course good for them. I need to get back into that. Fishoil pills were a flop here.

I have to do it on the sly tho, DH can smell "stink fish" from a thousand yards! :flip

How does sardines affect their breath?

I've never noticed negative effects from either end.

Edited by sobesmom