Dog Walking With Weapons

Guest TheModernMutt

Y'all are scaring to me. It's hard to grasp mostly white bread suburban GTers imagining slitting dogs throats.

Keep an eye out ahead, on each side and even behind you. You can avoid a lot (but not all) problems by paying attention.

Two things...

1. This entire thread is sensationalized, much like the media does during a major incident. Peoples emotions (especially animal people) tend to run high when stories of injured animals are told. The sensationalized emotions ruffle feathers and everyone envisions their biggest, baddest, most vicious scenario, and how they'd handle the situation.

2. Your second point is spot on. You don't blindly enter a freeway at 70mph without looking ahead of you, and you should approach most things in life the same way, even simple thing like dog walks. Looking ahead allows you time to plan.

Personally, I don't walk my dogs often, I don't take them out in public very often, and I don't allow strangers to approach or pet my dogs. I know how my dogs behave - I can't say the same for someone else's dogs, or their kids, or themselves. All it takes is someones twisted word about how your dog snapped or bit them, and the next thing you know you're fighting animal control. I see it day in, and day out in my line of work.

Do freak accidents like Chevy's case occur? Sure they do. Can they be avoided? Sure they can. But how many times was Chevy probably walked in front of that house without incident?

Perhaps this was all part of the bigger plan to get those dogs rehomed, to a place where they can have a better quality of life?

Ignore the sensationalism, always prepare you and your dog for unsafe situations, and resume life as normal.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest RMarie

I don't think this thread is sensationalizing anything. Dog attacks happen. For those of us that choose to walk our dogs, there's nothing wrong with being prepared. In the 6 months that we've had James, I've had a dog come flying off its front porch and cross a busy street just to get to James. Luckily, James is not easily provoked and the other dog wasn't aggressive, so a weapon was unnecessary in that situation, but if either James or the other dog had wanted to fight, I would have had a bloody mess on my hands. Another time, while exploring new areas of the neighborhood, I rounded a corner to find an unleashed and unfenced malamute leave its yard and have a stare-down with us. And just up the street from that was a big mastiff-mix with his front paws up on a low fence, barking mad, and 100% ready to jump the fence if we'd made another step forward. The thought of 2 big dogs v. James was terrifying. Did a fight ensue? No. James and I slowly backed away around the corner. But, again, if those dogs had charged, I would have been defenseless.

For those of us that have had close calls with other dogs, Chevy's incident is a wake-up call.

Guest TheModernMutt

I don't think this thread is sensationalizing anything. Dog attacks happen. .

Never said they didn't. But this thread highlights the worst, and makes it sound as if attacks are as common as street corners.

Don't misread what I wrote.

And perhaps you missed my last statement, so let me reiterate it for you... "Ignore the sensationalism, always prepare you and your dog for unsafe situations, and resume life as normal."

Edited by TheModernMutt

Guest SoulsMom

Never said they didn't. But this thread highlights the worst, and makes it sound as if attacks are as common as street corners.

Don't misread what I wrote.

And perhaps you missed my last statement, so let me reiterate it for you... "Ignore the sensationalism, always prepare you and your dog for unsafe situations, and resume life as normal."

Which is what this entire thread is about, right? What to carry as a weapon for protection should an unsafe situation occur . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Sad to say, you can prepare all you want but in the long run, a lot of times that isn't enough.

These articles are of actual attacks, more and more happening every day.

Is this thread being sensationalized? I don't think so. It's making us more aware of what can

happen and how to better prepare ourselves if it does.

Guest TheModernMutt

Which is what this entire thread is about, right? What to carry as a weapon for protection should an unsafe situation occur . . .

If you missed the last three pages, yes. That's exactly what its about.

Everyone is going to have their own opinions... but again, I would just question the legality of weapons that could do irreparable damage. For example, "Yes, I admit that I wasn't obeying leash laws, but that didn't give you the right to slit my dog's throat." That, and as ClawsAndPaws noted, it's important to make sure the weapon you're carrying is legal for your specific jurisdiction.

Also, Rachel makes a good point about stun guns. Wouldn't the current run through both dogs, assuming they were touching?

I hate to say this but avoidance is your only true solution. We are lucky/unlucky that we have a large enough yard to let our Greys run around. We do like walking them and used to a lot when we travelled in our RV but we also encountered what many of you have, loose dogs especially on beaches where leash laws are in place but everyone believes their dogs will do no harm. True for some but it only takes one dog to cause major injuries and/or death of your dog. I am a firm believer that you should carry something convenient and easy to get at as it will give you a chance at least to break-up the fight but no guarantees. I would not carry a knife as you will likely get bitten by the dog you stab or worse, you will stab your own dog. As for a gun, while it's the ultimate weapon to put down a dangerous dog, it can also kill your own dog and there are not many people I know that can pull a revolver, aim and hit the right dog while a fight is happening. A skilled marksman, yes, or at least someone who has worked in law enforcement or military that has a lot of practice. Also it's not legal to carry concealed in all states. I would vote for some kind of stun gun if it's legal, second would be some kind of baton or stick that is easy to hold and swing.

It really sucks that one has to 'arm themselves' to take the dog out for a nice enjoyable walk.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

It really sucks that one has to 'arm themselves' to take the dog out for a nice enjoyable walk.

I agree.

I want to point something out for the newbies. When I joined GT and read about attacks, I was scared of walking my greyhound (first dog ever also fyi). But then, I realized...it has a lot to do with the area in which you live as well. In almost 3 years, I've never been charged by a dog. While it's good to be vigilant, also note how many people walk their dogs on a daily basis and aren't attacked. I hope not all new to dogs/greyhound people reading this thread don't get scared away from dog ownership!!

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I agree.

I want to point something out for the newbies. When I joined GT and read about attacks, I was scared of walking my greyhound (first dog ever also fyi). But then, I realized...it has a lot to do with the area in which you live as well. In almost 3 years, I've never been charged by a dog. While it's good to be vigilant, also note how many people walk their dogs on a daily basis and aren't attacked. I hope not all new to dogs/greyhound people reading this thread don't get scared away from dog ownership!!

We have had dogs for over 40 years and never had a dog attacked before three weeks ago. It only takes one time, to make you realize, you should always be carrying something that could be a deterent to the dog that wants to kill yours.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

i do a teddy roosevelt. i walk softly and carry a big (walking) stick.

hamecane.jpg

1 in. hickory shaft, brass hame (from a horse collar) top. (photo rotatedto fit better)

fokos-1.jpg

i'd like to be able to carry my fokos (middle) which is a transylvanian mountain walking stick with a damascus axe head hand-grip and an alpine spike ferrule at the other end. they were designed for trips in wolf infested areas. it's sadly not legal to carry outside my residence.

the knobkerrie walking stick (top) is made from a very dense wood and is my third choice to the hame stick.

the bronze mace headed ash cane at the bottom is surprisingly comfortable to walk with.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

An air horn would probably work for a lot of dogs. Dog hearing is so much better than ours, and obnoxious loud noise like an air horn would probably make most run away (I know it would me!) Apparently, though, there is something about the "electrical" sound a stun gun makes that is particularly effective. It would be a lot harder to use with multiple dogs, I have only ever had to deal with one loose dog at a time. I just don't know...

That was what they used to break up fights at the dog daycare. Seemed to work (and yes, some of the clients were bully breeds).

Random question - what happens to an 8# yorkie if you stun it with 300,000 volts? I just keep seeing a cartoon of a glowing skelton standing there surrounded by fur on end.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Random question - what happens to an 8# yorkie if you stun it with 300,000 volts? I just keep seeing a cartoon of a glowing skelton standing there surrounded by fur on end.

That's what I'd be worried about too. And what if the dogs are touching? Does the current also stun your dog?

An 8 lb yorkie did plenty of damage to my dog. If I hurt the dog, too bad, said no one ever.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

An 8 lb yorkie did plenty of damage to my dog. If I hurt the dog, too bad, said no one ever.

Poor Paul... I hope he is recovering. :(

That's sort of the point I'm trying to make. If you stunned that yorkie with a stun gun and it died, you'd be in hot water, even though your dog was the victim.

No, the current doesn't transfer. So, if you stun the attacking dog, your dog (and you) are safe. Of course, if it is a pack attack, you would have to stun each dog separately! I don't know the answer to what would happen to a little dog, my guess is, not good. I wouldn't stun a small dog, I would be trying to pry it out of Fletcher's jaws (real life experience).

Being aware of your surroundings is the MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do, for your dog's safety, and yours!

Guest TheModernMutt

I could've sworn I saw a video once where people who were in military or police training locked arms, and the taser's current went through all of them. Of course, now I can't find it.

Thats probably because the had one prong on one end, and the other prong on the other. When the two prongs are on the same dog/person, i dont think it travels.

Thats probably because the had one prong on one end, and the other prong on the other. When the two prongs are on the same dog/person, i dont think it travels.

Ahhhh okay, that would make sense as to complete the circuit. I understand now.

Taser and stun gun are not exactly the same thing. (I didn't know this before) A stun gun has to have the end with the electric part in contact with the target. A taser throws out two "lines" with the electrical part on the end, so yes, as Christopher said, one prong could be on each target.

Guest SoulsMom

Poor Paul... I hope he is recovering. :(

That's sort of the point I'm trying to make. If you stunned that yorkie with a stun gun and it died, you'd be in hot water, even though your dog was the victim.

You know . . .I don't know. Bailey and I were talking about this because, even though it wouldn't be his intention, he'd probably end up killing any attacking dog just because of instinct/ adrenaline combined with his strength and combat training. I think dogs are considered personal property, so the legally the charge would be 'destruction of personal property'. Now if it were a person and he killed them in self defense the law would hold him to a higher standard, but I don't think it applies to personal property . . .

Guest SoulsMom

Amber, I think you're talking about the movie Con Air :lol

:lol: I LOVE that movie. But it's actually true . . . he knows ways to kill that boggle my mind :huh And yes, he's been warned about being held to a higher standard in such situations . . .