Dog Walking With Weapons

I just finished reading the horrific story of CHevy being attacked, and every time I read one of these stories, I promise myself that I am going to carry something with me on our walks to protect us. Ruby has been attacked by a Chihuahia once but I was able to kick it hard enough to fling it down the street and then the animal control people gave the owners a ticket. We have not seen the dog since but I was terrified. Luckily Ruby was not very injured and only had a few small nips in one leg but it did not require a vet visit. I have to admit that I don't walk Ruby as much as I should because I am terrifed of other dogs.

So it's time for me to get some protection and I want to know what the rest of you carry with you for safety ?

Karen

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been wondering the same since reading about Chevy. I have an older gentleman who lives directly across the street from me, he has 3 big dogs that are not well trained or socialized. I always hope he is either not home, or inside when I walk, because I worry about the dogs getting past him if walks through his gate while I am walking my dogs. I love to walk my dogs, but I too, am becoming terrified. Did some checking on line just a little while ago and it seems there are lots of options, but I don't really know what or where to start. Thanks for starting this Karen.

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

There is stuff called Halt! spray that is has the same effect as pepper spray, but it's safer for dogs (God forbid your dog ever attack, or get caught up in the melee). Fortunately, I've not had to use it, but it's supposed to be good.

Since Paul was attacked,we purchased a spray. It comes with a protective shield, but, I would have to remember to turn it the right way.

I am not going to let another dog hurt one of mine like that again.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I have a 5 foot long walking stick I walk with. Normally I am against hitting any animal, but if one comes after my girls, I will unleash a world of crazy the likes that God as never seen

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest Adrianne

I'm glad you started this, because I was going to ask for suggestions. I want something that will stop an attacking dog in his tracks and either put him on the ground or make him turn tail and run. I'm considering an electric prod, maybe one with a long handle. I know it sounds harsh, but if I'd had one last night, I could have touched those dogs anywhere on their body I could reach. It would be quick and take just a touch. I can see carrying a spray for an approaching dog, but I want something too just in case it reaches the point it did last night. The dogs moved too fast last night for me to have sprayed them in the face, and there's always the chance of Chevy getting sprayed.

I don't want to hurt another dog, but I could have done it last night.

ETA: I'm with Irene--I'm not letting another dog hurt one of mine.

Edited by Adrianne

Here is a previous thread with similar info. I carry Halts 2 pepper spray. It is a higher strength than regular Halts.

I also have a heavy walking stick that I carry when there's an ongoing issue with a loose dog here. As FiveRooers suggested in the thread from June, i also bought a dressage whip at the farm supply store and that easily fits in a jacket pocket, or tucked in my belt.

Not to go Off Topic, but make sure that whatever you carry is legal where you live. You can be arrested for carrying a weapon if you are carrying something that's not permitted in your state or city. Laws vary, so be sure that you are legal. The intent to protect your dog will not be a valid defense if the the item you are carrying is illegal. That's why I like the walking stick or the whip. The walking stick would also allow you to pin a dog to the ground by it's neck if it came to that.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have a 5 foot long walking stick I walk with. Normally I am against hitting any animal, but if one comes after my girls, I will unleash a world of crazy the likes that God as never seen

Me too. I like the walking stick because I can swing it a bit to keep even overly eager sniffers away. I've also started carrying pepper spray stuff (I forget the brand) that will stop humans too. It's going to take another dog lots and lots of effort to get at Maggie. The stories of greyhound attacks on this board are terrifying.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest BillF

I have one of these-

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jolt-54-in-sorting-pole

It's a fiberglass (I think) shaft with thick plastic coating. The handle is like a golf club. There is a little flex to it, but not much. You could pass it off as a walking stick.

Be smart - if something happens, and the police get involved, and you're loaded for bear - they may start paying more attention to you than the guy with the aggressive dog.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Not to go Off Topic, but make sure that whatever you carry is legal where you live. You can be arrested for carrying a weapon if you are carrying something that's not permitted in your state or city. Laws vary, so be sure that you are legal. The intent to protect your dog will not be a valid defense if the the item you are carrying is illegal. That's why I like the walking stick or the whip. The walking stick would also allow you to pin a dog to the ground by it's neck if it came to that.

Yes. Please be aware of the legalities of what you are carrying. I would recommend getting a concealed weapons permit, it's not just for guns! Also, when using any type of pepper or chemical spray, you are very likely to get some in your own face/skin, so be prepared for that to happen. I will be getting my concealed permit soon, Dudley and I have not been attacked yet, but we have no yard and must walk often. I am also going to start "arming" myself on walks. I walked around my old apt with a golf club... More for the people than the dogs, but it's a great weapon! (Partially kidding, I would not recommend a club.) I might get myself a walking stick.

Check your state laws!

"Section 790.06 (1), Florida Statutes, defines concealed weapons or firearms as those carried in a manner that conceals them from the ordinary sight of another person. This includes:

• handguns
    • electronic weapons or devices
    • tear gas guns
    • knives
    • billies"

I have a walking stick, but have been lax about taking on walks. It is a bit awkward to carry with three dogs, but I need to start again. I had a spray for awhile, but it was slow and clumsy for me to use. I just wish all this wasn't necessary :(

Guest TheModernMutt

When a vicious crazed dog is charging, relying on vinegar and citronella seems like it would be sorta like showing up to a gun fight with a bag of cotton candy. I mean, sure the paper cone has a pointy edge, but unless you plan on poking them in the eye and running, how effective can it really be?

Thankfully the dog owners on our block for the most part keep their animals confined to yards, so we haven't had a problem thus far. However, should the occasion ever unfortunately arise, I hope the owners of the suspect dog weren't really close to it, because I'll do whatever is necessary to remove the threat immediately, and also in the future. It'll end up D.R.T. As in "Dead Right There."

Having been a street cop for several years I will tell you what I count on. When I walk them-even on my own farm in the sticks of KY- I have a pistol and a KABAR. If we are in the city I add a backpack with a 300,000 volt stun gun(actually a wand approximately 18" long so you could reach the dogs easily) to the mix since it would be harder to shoot in the city for various reasons- but I would if it was required. IMO chemicals are worthless. My police department abandoned even the military/police strength chemicals because they just didn't work effectively. The majority of the time they just made the bad guy madder and he fought harder but it just would NOT stop or disable an attacker--and there was also the issue of it affecting the officer too if it was used. Combat of any kind can not be prettied up. It is a fight for your (or your dogs) very life with somekind of deranged nut case-that can be very primal, very dirty, very bloody. But if you have the will to survive you will engage and do what you have to do to protect you and yours. And even as armed as I am you know I still am concerned on whether I would even get the opportunity to use the weapons because anything can happen in combat. However I would be so angry at anybody hurting one of my dogs I really feel like I could rip their throat out with my bare hands(I also have a black belt). But at the least I'll know I was prepared and fought my best whatever happens. I also took into the pack a belgian malinois -Reba-whose job is to protect me and my hounds. If attacked she can and will defend the greyhounds and heaven help the aggressor(s). JMO.

Edited by racindog

Nothing, and I'll explain why.

I used to work for the Mass. SPCA, in the law enforcement office (my job was taking cruelty complaints over the phone and dispatching an officer to check it out).

Animal "police" like the SPCA officers carry a form of mace that is illegal for citizens to carry without a license. The stuff you can buy and use? Probably not even worth it. They also carry guns. And batons. Rest assured an officer will NOT reach for his mace if a charging dog is running at him in attack mode. However, they explained to me that the guns are mostly for the PEOPLE they have to deal with.

So you can't buy a spray that's actually strong enough, for one. Second, attempting to use a spray while also holding your own dog is as likely to spray your dog or yourself as the attacking dog.

As to bats, golf clubs, and the like--do you honestly think you can hold on to your dog and protect it while also swinging at an attacking dog? My dog isn't friendly. He'd be fighting back. I think that my feet would serve as weapons just as well as a stick, and they're permanently attached and don't require me to attempt to manage my own dog with one hand while fending off an attack with the other.

I have nothing but sympathy for anyone who has witnessed their dog being attacked--but carrying a weapon on a daily basis--one that is in all likelihood not going to work? I don't think so. I am fortunate that I don't have to live in an area where there are lots of lose dogs. I understand I'm lucky. But understand this: in poor Chevy's case, an SPCA officer would have resorted to shooting those dogs. They would not pull out a baton or a can of spray. There was NO good outcome to a three on one dog attack, and it's horrible, and I hope the owner of the dogs who did this have to pay.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SoulsMom

Having been a street cop for several years I will tell you what I count on. When I walk them-even on my own farm in the sticks of KY- I have a pistol and a KABAR. If we are in the city I add a backpack with a 300,000 volt stun gun(actually a wand approximately 18" long so you could reach the dogs easily) to the mix since it would be harder to shoot in the city for various reasons- but I would if it was required. IMO chemicals are worthless. My police department abandoned even the military/police strength chemicals because they just didn't work effectively. The majority of the time they just made the bad guy madder and he fought harder but it just would NOT stop or disable an attacker--and there was also the issue of it affecting the officer too if it was used. Combat of any kind can not be prettied up. It is a fight for your (or your dogs) very life with somekind of deranged nut case-that can be very primal, very dirty, very bloody. But if you have the will to survive you will engage and do what you have to do to protect you and yours. And even as armed as I am you know I still am concerned on whether I would even get the opportunity to use the weapons because anything can happen in combat. However I would be so angry at anybody hurting one of my dogs I really feel like I could rip their throat out with my bare hands(I also have a black belt). But at the least I'll know I was prepared and fought my best whatever happens. I also took into the pack a belgian malinois -Reba-whose job is to protect me and my hounds. If attacked she can and will defend the greyhounds and heaven help the aggressor(s). JMO.

I was talking to Bailey about what happened to Chevy yesterday morning and he said that same thing . . . . . that it would probably come down to just instinct for him to kill the attacking dogs with his bare hands if they were hurting ours (I, on the other paw, couldn't. I don't have the skills or strength)

I was talking to Bailey about what happened to Chevy yesterday morning and he said that same thing . . . . . that it would probably come down to just instinct for him to kill the attacking dogs with his bare hands if they were hurting ours (I, on the other paw, couldn't. I don't have the skills or strength)

Don't be so sure. You might surprise yourself. When "it comes down to it" people are sometimes amazed at their capabilities and their willingness to use them. :thumbs-up Anyhow he is right in my experience.

Guest undergreysspell

I was considering a pepper spray, but it seems that it might not be effective once the dog is already attacking - only make the attacking dog madder and the spray would probably get all over me and my dogs also. It might work to scare it away and avoid the attack though. Maybe a stun gun would be better. Anyone know how many volts would stop an attack by a dog or coyote? I see racindog uses 300,000 v.

I was considering a pepper spray, but it seems that it might not be effective once the dog is already attacking - only make the attacking dog madder and the spray would probably get all over me and my dogs also. It might work to scare it away and avoid the attack though. Maybe a stun gun would be better. Anyone know how many volts would stop an attack by a dog or coyote? I see racindog uses 300,000 v.

The one I got was used by utility workers/meter readers etc. against dogs which is why it was a wand about 18" long so they wouldn't likely have to risk getting bit in the event they needed to use it. I don't know how they picked that "strength" to manufacture it in. If I remember correctly I ordered mine from a place called Brigade Quartermasters. I don't know if a cattle prod would do any good or not-I doubt it would-heard some people consider them.

Edited by racindog

Just wanted to add, Halt spray has 4.1 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Several of the reviews describe personal accounts where people had to use the spray and found it both effective and convenient. It's also safe and doesn't do irreparable damage to the dog's eyes, so it wouldn't be a huge deal if you or your dog got it in your eyes. I would be very reluctant to use a stun gun or any other type of weapon, even if strange off-leash dog posed a threat to my dogs. The legality of it seems questionable. I could see someone twisting the story, and I'd be the one paying for THEIR vet bills.

This sort of reminds me of the Lexus Project story where the on-leash greyhound attacked a small dog that approached off-leash. Just because that person was negligent in regards to the leash laws, doesn't mean that dog deserves to be hurt or killed. And we're not necessarily talking Kujo and coyotes here... a senior greyhound on GT was attacked not long ago by a Yorkie. That dog suffered a great deal of puncture wounds and required medical treatment. If the greyhound owner took a stun gun to the Yorkie and killed it (right, wrong, or in different), I imagine a huge legal battle would ensue.

Guest TheModernMutt

I could see someone twisting the story, and I'd be the one paying for THEIR vet bills.

This can unfortunately happen with anything. I see it day in and day out. I hate animal calls because 9 times out of 10, someone is twisting the story and blaming someone else.

I agree with GeorgeofNE. I don't carry anything on me when walking the dogs. Thankfully, I live in a neighborhood where everyone seems to respect leash laws or confines their dogs in fenced yards. Yes, I'm lucky. In all the years I have been walking our dogs, I've never felt a threat. Call me what you will, but I prefer not to live my life paranoid about the "what ifs."

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest undergreysspell

The one I got was used by utility workers/meter readers etc. against dogs which is why it was a wand about 18" long so they wouldn't likely have to risk getting bit in the event they needed to use it. I don't know how they picked that "strength" to manufacture it in. If I remember correctly I ordered mine from a place called Brigade Quartermasters. I don't know if a cattle prod would do any good or not-I doubt it would-heard some people consider them.

Thanks for the info, I think this is a really good idea for me, probably wouldn't need to use it on a small dog (could just kick it) but large dogs or coyotes (we have them in our neighborhood) would take something like a stun gun or more.