Chevy Is In Surgery

Guest Adrianne

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PiagetsMom

The more I read the other's posts about their own similar experience, the harder it is for me to want to continue to keep walking my pups. I have a boxer around the corner who is allowed to be out front and wandering off leash when her person is outside. I've spoken to him - it did no good. I've come to realize that 99% of the time it's not that people don't know the leash law, they either don't care, or they think it doesn't apply to them.....because their dog is not a problem, don't you know?

I do believe that walking is a very good thing as a part of our relationship with our pups. And, even if I did have a large yard that allowed for exercise (which I don't), it's a different kind of exercise for them. We have a lot of people in the neighborhood who walk their dogs every day. I'd like to continue to be one of them, but something like this, that could absolutely happen to anyone, really makes me uncomfortable with the thought that even though I've been lucky to this point, you just never know.

I carry a bag of treats with me, but that's all. Seems I remember a thread once with suggestions of what to carry to help yourself and your pups in a situation like this. Some had tasers, some had batons, some had sprays......I think I need to revisit that info and get something to take with me.

I'm so glad that Chevy's surgery went well - I can't imagine how hard this has been for y'all. I'll continue to hope that Chevy heals well :grouphug

I have started pepper spraying any loose dogs that come near me. I don't care if their owners are screaming that they are friend or if they look friendly. Not on leash? No mercy. But generally just a spray in the general direction is all that is needed to chase them away. I haven't found it necessary to actually get them square in the face.

{{{{{{{{Adrienne}}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{Chevy}}}}}}}}}}

Oh gosh, just seeing this now. Good thoughts for Chevy :hope

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm so very sorry this happened. I hope he heals quickly and completely. I no longer walk my dogs for this very reason. After my second very close call with large, loose, aggressive dogs I decided to never take that chance again.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Everyone's worst nightmare. I am just so very sorry. I hope Chevy will be ok and that he heals quickly...physically and emotionally. :grouphug:hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Subumu

Wow, this is horrifying. Sending good thoughts your way. I don't have a greyhound yet, but I could not imagine any of my parents' dogs (which I love as if they were my own) being attacked. The neighborhood I'm (hopefully) moving to soon doesn't seem to have a loose dog problem though I've only visited a handful of times so far. All it takes is a dog slipping out of a gate. These stories are definitely motivation to get some sort of protection for when I do get a hound.

I hope you're doing okay and that Chevy will heal quickly. I am so sorry this happened :(

I'm so sorry this has happened to Chevy and you. I hope he heals fast. As for the people paying the vet bill, you might want to let them know that there might be other expenses if Chevy has to have more surgery to deal with drains, etc. Please give your sweet boy a hug from me.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

What a horrific nightmare!! I am so very sorry this happened to your poor, sweet Chevy.

I can only imagine your terror during that multi-dog attack, and your heartbreaking pain and worry for your boy. (Your posts affected me to the core.) It's helpful to know that Chevy's vets + staff are doing everything possible to help your sweet boy and keep him comfortable. Our healing prayers are with your boy, and strength for your family.

Hoping Chevy is much more comfortable today and is able to come home. We are all wishing him a quick healing & recovery from this nightmare. Please give little Ollie a hug for me. This has been a terrible experience for everyone in your family.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

My heart is breaking for poor Chevy. To think the poor guy couldn't even stand up! Oh gosh I would be crazy with anger. I would want to tear the offenders apart limb by limb with my bare hands. :angryfire Any dumb dodo to have dogs like that they can't control like that. No excuse for it. I feel like I would be merciless in my prosecution. Praying for his quick recovery. I know you'll tell Chevy how much we all love him and are sending him love and kisses as soon as he is able. :hope

Guest IrskasMom

It's a bit early , but was looking for an Update on Chevy.Adrianne , I am constantly thinking of that Boy . At least you don't have to hassle them for paying the Vet Bill. Honorable of them. Give this Boy some Mega Hugs and Prayers from me.

Guest TheModernMutt

The police were immediately called, and they along with my hubby paid a visit to the house. We do know the owner of the dogs, and Chevy's vet bills are being paid. I don't advocate the dogs being put to sleep, but at the very least, they need to be re-homed because of the current home situation. You have three dogs-a boxer, a pit bull, and a shepherd mix-stuck in a backyard 24/7 with very little human contact. But that's another story for another day.

Eff that. They'd be dead.

I'm not an advocate of euthanasia either, but to come from a back yard, through a gate, and attack while completely unprovoked? That's a whole nother story.

Guest TheModernMutt

ETA: ....this is something that could happen to any of us at any time. I will NEVER walk my dogs again without big bad protection.

This thread certainly has me thinking the same thing. We rarely walk our dogs anyway, but obviously this can happen any time to any one.

But I still think its a bunch of crap that they attacked completely unprovoked.

Guest Gemma

I only just saw this. Praying for a full recovery for sweet Chevy, and holding you all in my thoughts! I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. What a terrible thing to happen. :(

Eff that. They'd be dead.

I'm not an advocate of euthanasia either, but to come from a back yard, through a gate, and attack while completely unprovoked? That's a whole nother story.

I agree. If they did it to Chevy they'll do it to another innocent victim if they're given the opportunity. Its not their fault they didn't have a responsible owner who knew how to handle them -but now it is what it is and I wouldn't want them to ever have the opportunity to hurt or kill another innocent. Who knows that they wouldn't have done the same thing to a child?- or won't again?