Limping In The Grass.

Guest TheModernMutt

Guest TheModernMutt

Anyone have any idea why Slayer would walk perfectly in the house, but limp in the grass?

She walks normally in the house all the time, on carpet or hardwood, but when we let her out she limps own her back right leg. I've inspected her foot and leg and there's nothing that I can see. And it's just when she's on grass, when she's on the concrete patio, she walks normal again.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Did this start recently? Or has she always limped on grass? My dog had rarely, if ever walked on grass before I adopted him, so when he walked on grass the first time he was very insecure about it and kinda hopped and limped around

Edited by Clawsandpaws

Guest TheModernMutt

I don't know, she's done it since we got her. She walked fine at the track, walked fine on our walk around the block yesterday, walks fine on hard surfaces... It's just grass for whatever reason.

For some reason, if given the option, my girl, Lea will choose hard surface or walking path over grass - She doesn't limp on the grass, though. She also avoids puddles. The opposite is true of my boy, Elliott - he prefers grass and loves splashing in puddles.

I hope it is just a matter of preference for your pup and not something hurting.

Love your siggie by the way

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Grass tickling her toes? (Actually I have no idea why your girl is limping.)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

For some reason, if given the option, my girl, Lea will choose hard surface or walking path over grass - She doesn't limp on the grass, though. She also avoids puddles. The opposite is true of my boy, Elliott - he prefers grass and loves splashing in puddles. I hope it is just a matter of preference for your pup and not something hurting. Love your siggie by the way

well, her son is the same way :) he doesn't seem to like walking in grass -- unless it's worth his while and there's a nice spot that needs sniffing :D

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest alannamac

Hmmm....back right leg is the one that takes the most strain going round the track and is the one they tend to injure racing. It's possible something really is troubling her. Mention it to your vet at your next appointment and they can check out possibilities.

Have you checked between her toes to see if there's any small injury the grass could be reaching and iirritating that the pavement and flooring wouldn't.

Guest TheModernMutt

I figured it out. On the inside of her back right paw, she has a scrape or cut or something. Which would explain why sometimes she limps and sometimes she doesn't. The grass is long enough to irritate it. I can't get a good look at it right now, but it looks scabbed over.

Guest TheModernMutt

This is the culprit. PLEASE tell me it's not a corn!

It's on the very inside wall of the back right paw. Walking on hard surfaces doesn't bother her but the blades if grass poke/rub it and cause irritation I'm guessing.

EFFBC9C7-9FB3-4A4C-A763-374949E536E3-165

Guest Scouts_mom

That is not a corn.

It also looks like there is an old cut(?) on the front of the pad.

My advice would be to make sure it stays clean and watch it. If it get's bigger, then visit the vet.

You can do a warm epsom salt soak to help clean and heal it. I usually mix a handfull of salts in a big soup pot and have the girls stand with the injured foot in the pot. I soak them for as long as they will stay, and sweet talk and belly rubs help them to stand in one place longer. I also use a turkey baster down in the water to make it like a whirlpool bath as it keeps the water moving during the soak. The epsom salt helps to clean and debrade a minor injury.

Guest TheModernMutt
That is not a corn.

It also looks like there is an old cut(?) on the front of the pad.

My advice would be to make sure it stays clean and watch it. If it get's bigger, then visit the vet.

I thought it may have been a corn because there is a circular scab looking thing in the middle. But that may just be a scab from the abrasion. I'm going to clean it and put some vetericyn on it tonight after work.

EFFBC9C7-9FB3-4A4C-A763-374949E536E3-165

I thought it may have been a corn because there is a circular scab looking thing in the middle. But that may just be a scab from the abrasion. I'm going to clean it and put some vetericyn on it tonight after work.

Vetericyn is a miracle solution! I use it all the time on my two klutzy boys. Hopefully there's nothing stuck in her paw. For what it's worth, I fostered a little female who would hold her back leg up real high and hop around like that (only did it outside once she got running around). Her issue was an old racing injury that caused the joint to pop out every so often. When she did that, it was very noticeable. If the Dragon Slayer's limp is slight, I'm willing to bet it's linked to the paw, not the leg.

P.S. Welcome to the wide world of greyhound injuries, ailments, and calamities! :)

Guest TheModernMutt

She's limping purely because of the sore. After watching her closely, I noticed that she didn't always limp even in the grass. So last night when she was laying down I decided to inspect her paw in detail. When I touched it on the inside, she whelped a little, which is what tipped me off. I got her up on the bed and had her lay on her right side, so that the inside of the paw would be facing up - and that's when I found it.

I'm figuring she scraped it on the wire crate or something when I transported her home. At least that's what I'm hoping.

And hopefully we wont have many injuries, ailments, and calamities! She's a HUGE couch potato - so much so that she is starting to make our 11yr old look energetic as compared!! She does outside, pottys, and then stands at the back door waiting to go back in! And dont think you're going to get her back in the yard either! LOL Its back inside, or bust!

Guest TheModernMutt

So it's definitely not a corn. This is what it looks like tonight. I'm going to clean it and treat it shortly.

94C97979-0056-4F40-A02D-52A256507D6A-277

Guest RMarie

James gets sores like these quite often. He gets them from furiously shaking while standing on concrete (rain is evil!), but just the other day he mastered the art of carpet burns. He likes to do zoomies in our living room. Result = carpet burns and blood trails.

Guest TheModernMutt
That's quite the sore! I would just clean it, put some antibiotic ointment on it and cover with a baby sock.

Exactly what I'm gonna do! LOL

In fact, I'm about to go pick up some Vetericyn now.