Sign in to follow this  
Guest MJSmith

How Far Can You Take A Greyhound Running?

Guest MJSmith

I'm thinking about adopting a retired racing greyhound (not for at least six months. Maybe a year or two) and using it as my running partner. How far can they run? I know they're sprinters, not long distance runners, but what's the longest any runners out there take them?

Guest FinnsMom

You have to start slow and build up their endurance like a new runner would. There are a few people on here I think that regularly run 5km or more with their greys.

Guest MJSmith

Hmm. 5k is a bit short for me. I'm training for a marathon. Maybe I'd be better off with a hunting dog.

Guest OPointyDog

Interesting question that I'm also interested in. My adoption group has an article that's in our adoption packet that basically says, "don't run with your greyhound! They might die!" My partner didn't read the packet and took our brand new adoptee for a 3.5 mile jog in the snow, with no problems.... (An argument ensued, since common sense would dictate that you might want to build up their endurance first!) I think the big problem is risk of injury.

I would guess it depends a lot on the condition/energy level of the dog and also on the weather conditions. They have serious problems with overheating, so that's a big consideration.

Guest FinnsMom

I run half marathons but even if Finn did run with me, I don't think I could run more than about 5 km with him since he likes to stop, sniff, and pee all the time. LOL

If it's summer, you can only run with him during the cooler hours (early morning or evening) and if those hours are too hot, then no running that day. They have difficulty regulating their own body temperatures. You might do better with a galgo -- I may be wrong but my understanding is they are more endurance than sprinters.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest KsFrets

I'm a fairly competitive marathon runner. I do a lot of running with my greyhounds. First and foremost, THEY HAVE TO WANT TO DO IT. Our Maggie has no interest in being a distance runner, and despite her love for long walks (several miles), after the first quarter mile of running, she's no longer on board with it, and she's like dragging a boat anchor by the neck. So when I'm going for a serious run, I only take Magnus and Lisa. Temperature makes a HUGE difference. 20-60 degrees and we can go two to three hard miles. Lisa is pretty much finished by then. Sometimes I'll drop her off back home a go another two with Magnus. But that's it. Four tops under 60 degrees and he's finished. Over 60 degrees and things get interesting. If you are sweating, the dogs are more than likely getting hot. I can have their tongues out of the side of their mouth in about half a mile at a 7-8 minute mile pace. Now you have to think about hydration, bringing water, or know where there is water on your course. In hotter conditions, I never push them further than two miles. Although it's cool to have your dogs run with you, I do it more for them than me. Very often we have our fun, and then I drop them off at the house before going out for real serious training.

I am glad you are doing your research. A Greyhound may be the wrong breed for you. You may want to consider a breed more suited for endurance such as a Rhodesian Ridgeback

http://www.ehow.com/how_2247131_exercise-rhodesian-ridgeback.html

Whatever you decide, you won't regret having a dog at your side. Running or not.

Good luck.

:gh_bow

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest RyanR

O/P,

There's some really good advice there. I've had Greyhounds suffer hyperthermia twice on me and it scared the hell out me both times - one required an emergency trip to the vet. For the running distance you're talking about, I would also question if a Greyhound is a good match for you.

-Ryan

I also run and have always run with my dogs (various breeds) and just did a half marathon a few years ago. I have gradually trained up Teague so that he could do a 7-10km (4-6 mile) run in cool weather, but of all the breeds I have run with, he would be the least likely to be able to do real long distances.

To be honest, if you are looking for a jogging companion for longer distances I would NOT recommend a greyhound. I wouldn't think a lot of greys would willingly run 12 miles, plus they are VERY heat sensitive so warmer weather running is out. So...a higher energy grey can be great if you run 3-6 miles but for longer distances I would go for another breed.

I did my last half marathon with my (then) 9 year old mutt and my friend's golden retriever and lab. You don't have to have a super high energy dog, many breeds can run half marathons with training, just not greys :P

Guest MJSmith

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! (especially KsFrets) The reason I'm looking into greyhounds is because I've read that they're low energy and I love having my off days and don't want to be pestered for a long run every single day like my roommate's dog (coonhound) does to her. I think it'd be cool to bring him on shorter runs and keep my long runs to human companions or my lonesome. And then spend the rest of the day on the couch.

I will definitely be back if I get a greyhound. You people are great!

Guest KsFrets

>And then spend the rest of the day on the couch.<

That's one of the best things about taking our greyhounds for a run, or even a nice long walk. They are totally zonked couch potatoes for the rest of the day! :gh_lay

Of all my greyhounds only 2 were "runners" i.e. wanted to and enjoyed it for distances with me. Ivy (Dream Irish) was a running fool-even in summer. The vet had me give her supplemental electrolytes and some bicarb. We usually ran ~ 3 miles-and she continued to run(and even "fly" off lead) even after one of her front legs was amputated(osteo). I will never forget one day we were running and she looked back up at me and said "I've only got 3 legs and you still can't keep up with me." In fact the osteo did not claim her as long as she could run-she so loved to run-that is when she was happiest. But it spread to yet anotehr leg and she immediately left then- because I know she realized she wouldn't be able to fly on 2 legs. The other one was Slim. Slim and I regularly did ~5 miles as long as it wasn't too awful hot and he could easily have gone further-but Slim, he was the man- very different than most greyhounds in most every way.

I've taken mine out, but they really seem to lose interest after about 2 miles. And they stop about every minute to pee (well, mostly Zuni). Kali also sometimes has signs that her injury from her track days is bothering her. I think you can find the right one, but be prepared if they really seem to not want to jog.

Zuni wants to run, but basically on walks she tries to sprint the first half mile or so, like it was a race. Then she just walks like normal after that.

Guest kkaiser104

My roommate has taken Teddi out a few times to jog (she's not a serious runner by any means), and after a mile or two he's pretty ready to throw in the towel. Teddi takes his retirement very seriously!

Just an idea for when you do get a dog -- when I ran (using the term loosely) with my greys, I taught them a command that meant "we're running now and no stopping." There was another command for "it's okay to sniff and pee now."

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, Milo, and Jeter

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, and Nutmeg

My 18-month-old AKC pup has a lot of endurance. He can walk/run for miles and barely breaks into a pant. My five-year-old retired racer craps out after about 3 miles. He won't totally give up, but he starts trying to lag behind. As the above person said, we use the command "no stopping" if we're doing real exercise. For regular walks, they're allowed to stop and sniff.

I believe there was someone here in Waterloo who used to train for marathons with her grey. Perhaps her grey was an exception to the rule. If Brooke wasn't so timid, I would take her with me. she has lots of energy. Actually we took her and Ben on a 10K run once and they were fine. Now that Ben is approaching 11 though, I won't take him. He prefers to stop and smell the roses, and whatever his little heart desires is fine with me. Brooke won't go anywhere without Ben So I'm not subjecting her to a run without taking Ben. I always wanted a dog that would run with me, but I run mostly on the road so that may never happen, but I'm fine with it, so I'm no help at all.

Jan with precious pups Katie Crazykatiebug, Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; and Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I believe there was someone here in Waterloo who used to train for marathons with her grey. Perhaps her grey was an exception to the rule. If Brooke wasn't so timid, I would take her with me. she has lots of energy. Actually we took her and Ben on a 10K run once and they were fine. Now that Ben is approaching 11 though, I won't take him. He prefers to stop and smell the roses, and whatever his little heart desires is fine with me. Brooke won't go anywhere without Ben So I'm not subjecting her to a run without taking Ben. I always wanted a dog that would run with me, but I run mostly on the road so that may never happen, but I'm fine with it, so I'm no help at all.

I know who you are talking about. Once I saw her and her dog training in Victoria Park. He was down, refusing to move anymore :lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

Guest KatyC

We're surprised at how much energy Peggy has. We can walk 4 miles and she looks like she has only just started the walk, whereas SIL's greyhound seems to tire more easily. I haven't started jogging with her yet, but I'm sure as long as we are going to fast she'll be good for a few miles.

I know when we got her, the women asked if we wanted one that liked walks or one that wasn't fussed about it. So maybe if you speak to the place you're going to adopt from they can inform you on dogs you might be suitable to it or not :)

Ours is 4 1/2 year old ex racer, 120+ races I think.

I know who you are talking about. Once I saw her and her dog training in Victoria Park. He was down, refusing to move anymore :lol

I think Iker would be a greyt running partner if I could find a trail without any smells or squirrels...or people :lol

Jan with precious pups Katie Crazykatiebug, Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; and Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I think Iker would be a greyt running partner if I could find a trail without any smells or squirrels...or people :lol

Near Floradale Jan, no really...it's soo empty there. Robin has been there, Iker LOVED it! :)

Greyhound Collars on Etsy: Collar Town

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Near Floradale Jan, no really...it's soo empty there. Robin has been there, Iker LOVED it! :)

Yep, been there with the pups...I need one santitized though...you know how much he likes to smell "everything". :lol