Please Pray For Freddy!

Just rec'd this update:

Ok everybody. We need a BIG group chant "go Freddy" this morning. He's just now heading into surgery...a BIG surgery; 3-4 hours. The surgeons are taking a BIG piece of skin from his tummy and twisting it around to cover the wound on the inside of his right thigh. They'll stretch and manipulate it to cover as much of the wound as possible then hand sew it, like the surgeon explained, as if you were making a quilt. The tummy has to be sewn closed too. The next week will be a real nail biter to see how the flap works out. Keep our boy in your thoughts, please.

Christine
Greyhound Rescue & Rehab
Cross River, NY

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

continuing to send MANY prayers for sweet Freddy!!!! :hope :hope :hope

(I hope my own brother Freddy is watching over him from Heaven!!!!)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Freddy is never far from my thoughts. I check for updates throughout the day, every day. Adding my prayers that his surgery goes well and he continues his remarkable recovery.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Yes, many prayers! He's come so far, and has been so brave. He HAS to come through this surgery, and be on his way to a full recovery.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Freddy is in surgery. Today is the day he will be having an extensive 3-4 hour surgery where they will try to repair his right leg. Its a surgery where they will attempt to create a flap (from his abdomen) to cover the wound. I have seen this successfully performed on a lab but, a labs skin is a whole lot different than a greyhounds!!

Freddy will need a lot of healing thoughts sent his way--please keep him in your thoughts :hope

Good thoughts for this boy. He is a brave soul enduring everything he is going through. I hope the surgery is successful and he's on the mend soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending prayers for Freddy. To give us all hope:

My whippet had something like this done (though probably not as extensive) almost 5 years ago to cover an area of his leg where a lot of tissue was removed to get clear margins around a recurring tumour. Here are photos - the first one shows a lot of staples, but shouldn't bother anyone unless you are very sensitive. The second shows it almost healed and the last healing complete except for a couple of small spots.

Getting him healed up required a lot of TLC. He was never alone - I worked at home for two solid weeks (very understanding boss at the time) - and he had alternating warm and cold compresses for I-forget-how-many days, in order to promote circulation (to keep the skin alive) and to control swelling. Freddy is lucky to be at OSU where nothing will be spared to make him heal.

Here are the photos:

Day 5:

rickieincisionday5.jpg

Day 14:

rickieincisionday15-2.jpg

4 weeks (sorry this is so big, I have resized it but it doesn't seem to affect the display):

rickieincisionwk4002.jpg

Edited by Rickiesmom

Sending prayers for Freddy. To give us all hope:

My whippet had something like this done (though probably not as extensive) almost 5 years ago to cover an area of his leg where a lot of tissue was removed to get clear margins around a recurring tumour. Here are photos - the first two show a lot of staples, but shouldn't bother anyone unless you are very sensitive. The other shows it completely healed.

Getting him healed up required a lot of TLC. He was never alone - I worked at home for two solid weeks (very understanding boss at the time) - and he had alternating warm and cold compresses for I-forget-how-many days, in order to promote circulation (to keep the skin alive) and to control swelling.

Here are the photos:

Day 5:

rickieincisionday5.jpg

Day 14:

rickieincisionday5.jpg

4 weeks (sorry this is so big, I have resized it but it doesn't seem to affect the display):

rickieincisionwk4002.jpg

WOW! Thanks-that does help to keep a positive outlook.

Guest boondog

This was posted on Facebook 3 hours ago:

Here's an update on Freddy. I spoke with the surgeon about an hour ago.

Freddy is out of surgery. 5 surgeons were working on him. Took a 3x12" piece of skin from his abdomen and flapped it onto the inside of his right thigh all the way down to his knee. He's awake and not happy. Now it's a waiting game. Pray that new blood supply kicks in and the skin flap adheres to the wound. Freddy has to behave by keeping calm and not picking at his bandages or trying to remove the drain.

Here is the latest update I got a little while ago

Freddy had some pretty major surgery today.
At 1:30 this afternoon Freddy was just waking up after being in surgery for close to 4 hours. 5 surgeons were working on him. Took a 3x12" piece of skin from his abdomen and flapped it onto the inside of his right thigh all the way down to his knee. The literally hand stitched just like making a quilt. He was awake and not happy. Now it's a waiting game. Pray that new blood supply kicks in and the skin flap adheres to the wound. Freddy has to behave by keeping calm and not picking at his bandages or trying to remove the drain. It will be about 3-5 days before the surgeons know for sure what/how much skin is going to take from the flap. It runs from his groin down. The most critical area is around the knee as the movement and tension could cause some issues.

He's still in isolation and has restricted visitors but when he gets mail, they take some extra time to read to him. He’d like some more get well cards please.

Here's the address:
Ohio State University Veterinary Center
Soft Tissue Surgery Dept.
Attn: Freddy & Dr. Pugliese
601 Vernon Tharp Rd.
Columbus, OH 43210

Keep the good thoughts and prayers heading Freddy's way for the next few days please.

Fred, Kimba and I just finished working on a get well card for Freddy. We'll mail it first thing tomorrow. With the holiday on Monday, the absolute soonest he will be able to see it will be Tuesday, and probably a day or two later than that. We'll be hoping that by the time the card arrives, Freddy will be out of the woods. Kimba is a Grehound Rescue & Rehab hound, as were our angels Booker and Polly. We can't wait to welcome Fred to New York!

We are sending him all of our best thoughts.

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

:candle:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown