Newest Flea Remedies?

I searched for "flea remedies" and found 4 conversations, but some are from 2007-2009. Frontline still works for me, but some of our locals are experiencing immunities to it. Any of you?

I know there is a new oral medication out there but I know nothing about it or whether vets with greyhound knowledge approve its use. AND- does it cover ticks, too? Or would I have to put tick collars back on all 7 kids when the season hits our forests?

Cara and the Northcoast Greyhounds

Cara and the Northcoast Greyhounds

item_839.jpg

There are a ton of different routes you can go that offer all kinds of combinations for fleas, ticks, and worms. We still use good old Frontline Plus and Heartgard. It was recommended by our vet as the most comprehensive and tried and true method to cover everything. K9 Advantix is comparable to Frontline and less greasy, but it can be toxic to cats (which is why we can't use it in our home). I think the oral preventative you're referring to is Capstar, but I believe it only covers fleas, not ticks.

Guest wylie_coyote

Frontline was not working for us here in GA. we switched to K9 advantix II because one of our dogs has bad reaction to flea bits so we need it to work well. But now it looks like they may all be having really dry skin due to the advantix. So right now they are not on flea/tick med. But we will be starting up again soon and will try the comfortis I think it is and then a collar for the ticks. It is my understanding that comfortis does not due ticks but is oral which I am looking forward too. I hate the oil mess on their fur.

The new oral flea medication you're thinking about is probably Comfortis (or Trifexis when combined with heartworm preventative). You can try searching for Comfortis or Trifexis specifically for more input. A lot of us have used it for greyhounds with no problems. I find these products work better for fleas than any of the topical products. However, as wylie_coyote mentioned, they don't cover ticks very well. So if you need the tick protection, you'd have to use a different product, such as a tick collar or one of the topicals during tick season.

Frontline also recently came out with a new product called Frontline Tritak, which is supposed to work better for both fleas and ticks. But it hasn't been out long enough, and I haven't seen it used enough to make me feel comfortable recommending or using it, especially for greyhounds.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg