Skinny? Or Not?

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rainy's weight?

• You're starving that dog!
    • Just right
    • Too chunky (this might be impossible)

Guest 2greys2cats
Update! We went to petsmart last Saturday a week after her vet trip and she weighed in at 66.2lbs. Her reign of extras is over. Poor kid keeps staring at the door that leads to the cookie cupboard. LOL

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

Awwww mom, not the end of the extras? Maybe just a little bit of extras? ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL No more double milky bones. She will still get the extra hunk of dinner. They get plenty of yummies. Rainy was convinced the strawberry cake that was baked tonight was for her. Unfortunately we only have choc icing in the cabinet so she's out of luck, otherwise she probably would have scored a taste. She has a sweet tooth. Oddly enough she likes salt and vinegar chips to...

------

Jessica

• 2 weeks later...

I think she looks perfectly fine - but I have a grey that's always shown ribs, even when she (finally after many years) gained some pounds. Some dogs just run thin. My Diana is 9 now and leading a VERY sedentary lifestyle (shame on me) but if we started walking more, she'd tone up and her ribs would look like Rainy's in 2 months, regardless of food intake.

I don't see any hip bones on Rainy, which is a "too thin" tell-tale for me. She does show a bit of back spine though, which is also something I look for. But she has nice muscle definition, so there's some meat on those bones, just not "padding". She looks like a grey in really good physical condition, like a human that runs every day would look - lean and mean! (OK - lean and cute as a button but that doesn't rhyme).

I certainly would not worry about that dog - but I would go ahead and bump up her food a bit (1/2 c a day?). Or I'd add a bit of hamburger, chicken, etc. for some extra calories and protein. Can't hurt, and might round out that back and ribs a bit. Honestly though - I would not feel in any way bad about her weight.

BTW - her coloring is GORGEOUS!!! What's that called? Fawn with blonde highlights? Who is her colorist!?!?

Fritz raced at 64 lbs, retired at age 3 from racing. Now at age 12 he is close to 60 lbs most of the time. Of course he's lost some muscle since his racing days, but, I still think he's pretty ripped :) He's one that you see EVERYTHING on though because he's white.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

BTW - her coloring is GORGEOUS!!! What's that called? Fawn with blonde highlights? Who is her colorist!?!?

LOL They have her listed as red on her papers. A week after the vet trip she had plumped back up to 66lbs. Now she's sad about the lack of effect the puppy eyes have. She really is the PERFECT greyhound :)

------

Jessica

There's a whole story behind that :whiteflag I'm still kicking myself for loosing 200 pictures while transfering them to the computer. I'll make sure to snap some this weekend and post :) Most things on the blog are a month or two behind real time.

Maybe I'll have BF order them more french fries to set the scene properly! :hehe

------

Jessica

I forgot to make her stand there for me this weekend! Thi is a pic that was taken last Thurday... She's not to sure about her new little foster friend... :hehe Seconds after this she was play bowing and jumping around :ghplaybow

20130222_070558.jpg

The Biggy Iggy is up for adoption... <--- Shameles plug His blog is here, if anyone knows someone who is looking for a cute little guy. http://shug-jeremiah.blogspot.com/

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

Guest 2greys2cats
I forgot to make her stand there for me this weekend! Thi is a pic that was taken last Thurday... She's not to sure about her new little foster friend... :hehe Seconds after this she was play bowing and jumping around :ghplaybow

20130222_070558.jpg

The Biggy Iggy is up for adoption... <--- Shameles plug His blog is here, if anyone knows someone who is looking for a cute little guy. http://shug-jeremiah.blogspot.com/

You can still see all her ribs. I know others will have different opinions, but in my opinion she still too thin. I prefer to just have the last two ribs slightly showing on my greyhounds. But everyone has their own preference I guess.

Guest 2greys2cats
We go back to the vet for another blood pull on Saturday so I can get her weight again there and talk to the vet again

She's beautiful, I'm partial to the fawns. I have one of my own. Love that color.

LOL They have her listed as red on her papers. A week after the vet trip she had plumped back up to 66lbs. Now she's sad about the lack of effect the puppy eyes have. She really is the PERFECT greyhound :)

OK - I can see her listed as "red" - but I maintain that's one PRETTY dog ----- not that that matters. Being "perfect" is far more important. :nod

Glad you're not worried about the weight thing any more. If I'm right - she's one of those girls we ALL envy - beautiful and naturally thin-looking. :bow

OK - I can see her listed as "red" - but I maintain that's one PRETTY dog ----- not that that matters. Being "perfect" is far more important. :nod

Glad you're not worried about the weight thing any more. If I'm right - she's one of those girls we ALL envy - beautiful and naturally thin-looking. :bow

Yes that's my girl! :ghplaybow

------

Jessica

Finally got some decent pics! She looks good to me... She's up to 66lbs. She is large for a female, so maybe she should weight 68?

20130227_131035.jpg

Stand here and model you say?

20130227_131058.jpg

Ok

20130227_131057.jpg

How was that?

20130227_131102.jpg

This is boring...

20130227_131104.jpg

Wanna see a stretch?

20130227_131106.jpg

Oh that is good...

20130227_131114.jpg

Yeah I'm done!

20130227_131112.jpg

Ok let me inside so I can remove this belly mud with your bed.

------

Jessica

Guest GreytBengalMom

I think she looks great in the photos you just posted. :) I would say a couple of more lbs wouldn't hurt either. My Eddie looks similair to her, but we've only had him a month and a half. I've put a couple of lbs on him, but I am trying to get a couple of more on him. He was 72 and should probably be around 77. He eats like a horse though. I wish I gained weight as slow as he does!

Last update! We were at the Vet again on Saturday. Miss Chubby weighed in at 68lbs! :ghplaybow I told her no more double milky bones for breakfast and the vet said "Aw.... Maybe she can have 1.5?"

I was told that she is at a perfect weight and to keep doing exactly what we are doing. I also asked about the saftey of building her up for a 5K in Dec. :treadmill A few people have told me it's not a good idea for a 9 year old dog... Vet said as long as we don't jog when it's hot out and I listen to her it's safe for us! :bounce2

I just got the phone call with the labwork and her T4 is at 3.1, which is in the high range, but since all of her behavior issues have resolved with this route the vet said she can live with it. Now I'm hoping for no vet bills until July when Sunshine has her annual. I'm so happy that my baby is feeling better again! It's been a long almost 2 years...

------

Jessica

Guest 2greys2cats

Last update! We were at the Vet again on Saturday. Miss Chubby weighed in at 68lbs! :ghplaybow I told her no more double milky bones for breakfast and the vet said "Aw.... Maybe she can have 1.5?"

I was told that she is at a perfect weight and to keep doing exactly what we are doing. I also asked about the saftey of building her up for a 5K in Dec. :treadmill A few people have told me it's not a good idea for a 9 year old dog... Vet said as long as we don't jog when it's hot out and I listen to her it's safe for us! :bounce2

I just got the phone call with the labwork and her T4 is at 3.1, which is in the high range, but since all of her behavior issues have resolved with this route the vet said she can live with it. Now I'm hoping for no vet bills until July when Sunshine has her annual. I'm so happy that my baby is feeling better again! It's been a long almost 2 years...

Greyhounds are sprinters. Short distance runners. Other than your own personal satisfaction, what other reason exists to make you want a nine year old greyhound to do a 5k? IMHO she should be enjoying her retirement by relaxing and being lazy with some good walks and pounced on toys. Just wondering...

Dogs enjoy being out and doing things with their owners. If she's healthy and enjoys running, I see no reason the OP shouldn't do this with the precautions her vet has already given her. While greyhounds are bred and trained to be sprinters, they can do just fine for longer distances if built up to it. And a dog who is active and fit is healthier than one who is lazy and just hangs out at home.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest 2greys2cats

Dogs enjoy being out and doing things with their owners. If she's healthy and enjoys running, I see no reason the OP shouldn't do this with the precautions her vet has already given her. While greyhounds are bred and trained to be sprinters, they can do just fine for longer distances if built up to it. And a dog who is active and fit is healthier than one who is lazy and just hangs out at home.

I by no means meant her dog should be lazy laying around at home. My dogs go for several short hikes a week, they run in our yard, we walk them twice a day, they have many wild crazy fits with their toys etc. They're perfectly happy without running a 5K. It's her dog and she can obviously do what she wants, but honestly I feel very sad for that dog. Having a nine-year-old greyhound run a 5K, is good for the owner not the dog. She's doing it because it's what's good in her mind, not necessarily what's in the best interest of the dog. Given a choice, I am positive that her dog would not choose to be practicing on a treadmill and running a 5K,...her dog would choose several walks and several play times a day with toys. And then being lazy the rest of the time. Because that's what greyhounds do. I'll probably get attacked for sharing my opinion, but I don't really care, I really just have the dog's best interest at heart, and I my heart aches for that dog. :(

LOL Rainy actually likes jogging /speed walking with me. Sunshine not so much.... She thinks it's torture at times. So far we've only gone about a mile of jogging and walking (using the couch to 5k method) and she's always ready for more at the end and I'm ready to die. She gets into her little workout mode and trots right next to me. We haven't been in a couple weeks but back when we were in the routine she would very blatantly tell me we were going out after I got home from work!

Maybe it reminds her off the exercise high that she got while racing? If she didn't enjoy it, we wouldn't be considering it. Jogging 3 miles might sound really bad but we can always take walk breaks when either of us need it. I'm no skinny in shape person here, so I give up way before she does! ;-)

------

Jessica

She's doing it because it's what's good in her mind, not necessarily what's in the best interest of the dog. Given a choice, I am positive that her dog would not choose to be practicing on a treadmill and running a 5K,...her dog would choose several walks and several play times a day with toys. And then being lazy the rest of the time. Because that's what greyhounds do.

I think it depends a lot on the individual dog's temperament. You're making a lot of assumptions about the OP's motives and what her dog would or would not enjoy. You obviously have a right to your opinion, but I personally don't believe in judging others, especially without being there and having all the information.

Other than using the treadmill emoticon, the OP didn't mention anything about about 'practicing on a treadmill.' I was thinking she was planning to take the dog out jogging with her. Of my 2 greyhounds, Willow hates walks and starts to drag a couple blocks away from the house. Although she's in good shape and very athletic, she wouldn't be a good candidate for anything like a 5K. My other greyhound Wiki loves walking and jogging with me, and loves to be out in public. If I was training for a 5K, he'd much prefer to come with me than stay at home. He's one who doesn't do much running on his own, and he'd really benefit from this kind of activity. Unfortunately I don't have the time for anything like this. LOL

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

And practicing on a treadmill? Really? LOL that's a bit dramatic. If your actually take your dogs hiking you probably walk more than 5k! I know we do when we hike. My dogs like being active. The more we start to do in our daily schedules the more they run around the house following me asking to do even more adventures.

------

Jessica

Fritz did a couple of 5ks with me back when he was younger (I just walk them though) on Thanksgiving day. This past fall he did a 2.1 mile walk with me and did just fine, at age 11. It's all in what the dog can handle and I'd expect that any good owner would stop with their dog if the dog was too tired to continue, and would also not expect the dog to do a 5k during the summer when it's hot.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

The abusive sad part is that I'm considering dragging Sunshine along because she howls saddly when left behind. She doesn't really like jogging, but the socialization is good torture for her. Besides her little naughty brain needs to be exhausted most of the time so she doesn't eat walls. Maybe I should start a spackle donation?

Plus keeping her in top shape for as long as I can no matter what her age would benefit her health according to our vet.

------

Jessica