Skinny? Or Not?

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rainy's weight?

• You're starving that dog!
    • Just right
    • Too chunky (this might be impossible)

How about a lighthearted topic for Health and Medical?

Rainy recently went on thyroid meds along with us deciding we are going to try and do a 5k, so we've been a bit more active lately. Just had a follow up at the vets Saturday and she's down to 61lbs. She's usually around 66-68 depending on what she had for dinner that day. :flip

The more I think about it the more I feel bad for not noticing and bumping her food up earlier.

These pics were taken a couple weeks ago

http://chuckleatchaos.com/rainy-likes-french-fries/

I don't think she looks too bad....? Especially since she was slurping up french fries at that time. :hehe

Meanwhile Rainy is celebrating about receiving the best news a doctor can ever tell a girl! :chow She is looking forward to eating her way through life. :beatheart

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clawsandpaws

I would much rather have a slightly skinny grey than an overweight one for sure. I have only had my one boy, but compared to other greys I have been around, she looks more like she JUST got off the track, I don't think a few more pounds would hurt, but I would rather keep her at that weight than risk going over with those fries! As long as your vet is fine with the weight, I'd be fine with it too! However, I know I get a lot of "Oh he's so skinny" at the park (No lady, your lab is just fat!) What did she race at?

OK, I voted skinny though I do not believe "you're starving that dog." Maybe just increase her food a little.

Something else to consider is the effect of thyroid meds. I hate to ask this but is must be done. Are you sure she's really hypothyroid? And if so, are you sure the dose is correct? Something to ponder. My girl had gained weight even as I was decreasing her food so going on thyroid meds brought her back down to an optimal weight. However, all that extra exercise while training for a 5k would certainly contribute to some weight loss.

she looks a bit under to me, just like Zeke is now (battling hookworms and big D). I'd put a couple pounds on Rainy :) LOVE her name :kiss2

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

If all of her ribs are actually showing, she's a little too thin. However, I know you can't fully judge by a photo. Something about Cash's coloring or shape makes him look extremely ribby in pictures, when he's definitely not that thin in "real life." (Have had to explain to the "grandparents" more than once that we aren't starving the poor guy).

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I put "starving" because you can see all her ribs. I'm of the belief that you should see a few. But, she really isn't THAT bad.

However prefer a slightly overweight dog than underweight. I know that's the opposite of what so many people say. I'm not talking chunky, looks like a striped lab or anything like that. But when they get sick they drop weight like they were an ice cube sitting in the Arizona sun. My Brindle lost 12 lbs when she was in the hospital for 2 weeks. They were more worried about her weight when I got her back then the original problem (collapsed lung)

Our angel Jack looked like that as we just couldn't get him to 'fatten-up'. I would say she could use a few extra pounds to hide a few of the ribs and then she looks good!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I would much rather have a slightly skinny grey than an overweight one for sure. I have only had my one boy, but compared to other greys I have been around, she looks more like she JUST got off the track, I don't think a few more pounds would hurt, but I would rather keep her at that weight than risk going over with those fries! As long as your vet is fine with the weight, I'd be fine with it too! However, I know I get a lot of "Oh he's so skinny" at the park (No lady, your lab is just fat!) What did she race at?

I can't remember what she raced at... I'll have to look it up. She'll be 9 in April so it's been a bit. She loves her French fries and pop corn. They get lots of table scraps here.

------

Jessica

She looks just a little thin. I would want one or two pounds more on her, especially at her age. Seniors can drop weight at the drop of a hat so I like my older ones to have just a pound or two extra on them.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Clawsandpaws
I can't remember what she raced at... I'll have to look it up. She'll be 9 in April so it's been a bit. She loves her French fries and pop corn. They get lots of table scraps here.

So does mine ;) He porked up a bit recently and I panicked, but found out that the bf was feeding him breakfast when he woke up at 9 because he didn't realize that I get up at 7 am everyday to feed him and the cat before I go back to sleep!

He still acted like he never saw a meal in his life. I met a VERY overweight grey at the park a few days ago. It made me really sad :(

OK, I voted skinny though I do not believe "you're starving that dog." Maybe just increase her food a little.

Something else to consider is the effect of thyroid meds. I hate to ask this but is must be done. Are you sure she's really hypothyroid? And if so, are you sure the dose is correct? Something to ponder. My girl had gained weight even as I was decreasing her food so going on thyroid meds brought her back down to an optimal weight. However, all that extra exercise while training for a 5k would certainly contribute to some weight loss.

According to the numbers she doesn't need thyriod meds. But now I feel like a horrible mom! We've been dealing with noise phobias that branches into car phobia, etc since July 2011. We have tried multiple anxiety meds, natural remedies, behavior modification, positive associations, ignoring her, forcing her to deal with the fears.... Every blasted thing! The vet finally suggested a trip to the U of Penn. After she was so drugged that she ran into a wall and split her eye open on Christmas, I decided to just try medicating her thyriod. Even though it's been tested over and over again. Soloxine = instant normal bomb proof dog again within 3 days. Next time I will insist on trying this first then anxiety meds. Live and learn.

Actually just got a phone call from the vet. Her t4 is at 3.6 so we will reduce it down by .01 and retest in another month ;-)

I'm just so relieved that she's mentally Ok again. The vet wants her to gain 5lbs and she has always commented to me that my dogs are never fat. So I'm not too worried about losing sight of those ribbies all together. I'm jealous that she gets to gain weight. How do I get in on that deal? LOL

she looks a bit under to me, just like Zeke is now (battling hookworms and big D). I'd put a couple pounds on Rainy :) LOVE her name :kiss2

It's the best name ever ;-)

If all of her ribs are actually showing, she's a little too thin. However, I know you can't fully judge by a photo. Something about Cash's coloring or shape makes him look extremely ribby in pictures, when he's definitely not that thin in "real life." (Have had to explain to the "grandparents" more than once that we aren't starving the poor guy).

I try not to go by ribs, but she does have a few more spine points showing than I would like... still has a nice back fat strap going on the top. I have a picture somewhere of Sunshine looking emaciated! She's my piggy porker. Is all in the angle

------

Jessica

No option in the poll for "add a pound or two" so I didn't vote.

LOL embrace your inner sarcasm! Clearly her muscles are wasting away ;-)

I put "starving" because you can see all her ribs. I'm of the belief that you should see a few. But, she really isn't THAT bad.

However prefer a slightly overweight dog than underweight. I know that's the opposite of what so many people say. I'm not talking chunky, looks like a striped lab or anything like that. But when they get sick they drop weight like they were an ice cube sitting in the Arizona sun. My Brindle lost 12 lbs when she was in the hospital for 2 weeks. They were more worried about her weight when I got her back then the original problem (collapsed lung)

I try to keep them a little thin, but the cookies through out the day usually adds calories. Usually you can really see a few ribs but can see all of them if you look really close. I think about the pros and cons about keeping weight on for getting really sick.... usually opt for thin but I could live to regret that someday. ..

She looks just a little thin. I would want one or two pounds more on her, especially at her age. Seniors can drop weight at the drop of a hat so I like my older ones to have just a pound or two extra on them.

She will be happy to have a donut with sprinkles tonight. What age do you start keeping a few more lbs on them?

So does mine ;) He porked up a bit recently and I panicked, but found out that the bf was feeding him breakfast when he woke up at 9 because he didn't realize that I get up at 7 am everyday to feed him and the cat before I go back to sleep!

He still acted like he never saw a meal in his life. I met a VERY overweight grey at the park a few days ago. It made me really sad :(

Three meals a day! Score! LOL

To me your girl looks too thin, as if she got off the track last week. She's healthy, though, so having her put on a few pounds can be fun!

That's exactly how we are looking at it.

------

Jessica

Guest zombrie

Agreed with this!

I like to judge it by their hips, I like to see the very tip of their hips. If the tips disappear, it's time to lay off the french fries ;) but if they stick out too much, it's time to add more food. But I'm one of those who like to keep my dogs at their racing weight, which to some people is too thin. But we aren't "couch potatoes" here and we are very active with our dogs so they stay fit. I think your girl would look perfect with a few pounds but no more than that. I wouldn't look at her and think she's being starved :P

There was no option for "slightly underweight," so I went with starving. But she isn't starving it all... she really only needs a few pounds to be in perfect condition. You don't want to go too far the other way. A fat greyhound is an uncomfortable greyhound.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I am confused. :blink: There was no option for add a pound or two, only "starved" "just right" or "overweight" as I read them..and I didn't agree with any of the above options so couldn't vote. IMHO she is not starved but might add a couple of pounds. How is that sarcastic?

LOL embrace your inner sarcasm! Clearly her muscles are wasting away ;-)
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

She's too thin. The T4 is too high for a medicated greyhound.

It is a very bad idea to give thyroid meds if the dog doesn't have low thyroid. They'll make any dog "brighter" and more active, and have the potential to cause early and irreversible kidney damage, cardiac damage, and bone lesions.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rainy certainty thinks she's starved ... (I'm trying to make a funny) We don't go to bed hungry in this house. The starved is over exaggerated. Hence the "light hearted thread in health and medical"

Maybe I need to go back to bed! It is a Monday and my humor is usually a bit off

------

Jessica

I usually try and keep a pound or two extra around 9/10 years of age. When mine have hit around 11, any small illness has resulted in weight loss so I like to make sure they are at least 5 pounds over their racing weight. Arrow just experienced a small illness and dropped 8lbs. In 2 weeks. Bebe has been the same, at almost 13 she drops weight just by missing a couple of meals.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

She's too thin. The T4 is too high for a medicated greyhound.

It is a very bad idea to give thyroid meds if the dog doesn't have low thyroid. They'll make any dog "brighter" and more active, and have the potential to cause early and irreversible kidney damage, cardiac damage, and bone lesions.

Yes it is to high and is being addressed. I would rather have her shorten her life by a few years than continue to live like she had been for the past year and a half. Amazingly enough we are working with a vet who has half a clue. It's an issue we have been dealing with for over a year, so if thyroid meds solve it I'm not going to stand by and purposefully not help her.

I usually try and keep a pound or two extra around 9/10 years of age. When mine have hit around 11, any small illness has resulted in weight loss so I like to make sure they are at least 5 pounds over their racing weight. Arrow just experienced a small illness and dropped 8lbs. In 2 weeks. Bebe has been the same, at almost 13 she drops weight just by missing a couple of meals.

Thanks! I've never really dealt with an aging pet on my own so maybe I'll look into keeping a bit extra on her...

------

Jessica

Agree with those who say she's a little too thin. An extra few lbs would likely be all she needs. :) She's so gorgeous, btw! Beautiful fawn girly.
Thanks! She certainly thinks she's prefect

I am confused. :blink: There was no option for add a pound or two, only "starved" "just right" or "overweight" as I read them..and I didn't agree with any of the above options so couldn't vote. IMHO she is not starved but might add a couple of pounds. How is that sarcastic?

I was being sarcastic :-) with the poll choices Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica