Getting Cold Feet About Adopting A Greyhound

Guest mvd5555

Guest BlueCrab

I've been sort of skiiming thru this thread periodically. I have to laugh at myself, tho :haha . I don't think I've ever had an animal adoption where I haven't gone into a "what have I done THIS time?" panic the day before the animal comes home. I go thru it every time even tho we've been adopting for years. I guess it's "how will everyone get along? when will I ever stop doing this and take a vacation? will this one finally be the one that makes me crazy" kind of thing. I even went thru it when we brought the new kitten home in October. And he's a kitten, for pete's sake...he's portable and marginally simple and straightforward to deal with!.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully everything is going well and she's part of the "how could I have ever lived without this dog in my life".

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Guest abarnet1

I adopted my first hound in December 2011, she is a dream, pictured in sig (Mary Ann). Then we went back for a second one in Aug. 2012 (Dove). We took Mary Ann with us to pick her out. We also have 2 cats. Dove is 2 years old and Mary Ann is 6. They both get along with the cats. The McGregor Greyhound Welfare Center where we got our 2, keeps a small dog and cat on site to test the dogs, which is great. Dove showed interest but after a few times of telling her that the cats are not toys, she go it. I have also had her in some training class for the basic sit/down/place and she did great. Mary Ann just does her own thing. Having 2 is great they keep each other company. The only issue that I had is Dove wants to be alpha female, we worked on pack order in the training class, she has really responded and is getting the retirement thing. She like to have something to do and to be focused. Mary Ann just likes to lay around and do nothing but chew on bones. I take them both to a dog park at least once a weekend and to daycare once a week in the winter and 2 days a week during the summer. They love to be around other dogs. They run the whole time they are at the park. Mary Ann is very out going with people and dogs. Dove is a little shier and takes a little to warm up to people.

I would not have anything else than a rescued grey. I grew up showing dogs, labs, goldens, skipperkeys, whippets, and shelties.

Work with the adoption agency and do not be scared to ask question, GT is great place to information on greys, a lot of people with a lot of experience.

:gh_run2

• 2 weeks later...