Getting Cold Feet About Adopting A Greyhound

Guest mvd5555

I still have ID on my dogs. I use stretchy collars with their names and my phone number embroidered on them. I think having ID on our dogs at all times is so important.

Right, I have his ID tags on his tag collar. But I know there's a risk he could get out of his tag collar and be without his tags; however I'd rather take that risk than him choking or hanging. He's microchipped as well of course.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 2greys2cats

Right, I have his ID tags on his tag collar. But I know there's a risk he could get out of his tag collar and be without his tags; however I'd rather take that risk than him choking or hanging. He's microchipped as well of course.

That's awesome, we haven't gotten around to micro chipping. They both have an appointment in April, and I'm going to have it done then.

definitely freeze the kongs, we use peanut butter and/or pumpkin (poo boy Zeke is on pumpkin cuz of his big D). They happily go to their crates for their frozen "treats" and it takes them quite a while to eat them :) good luck!

ETA: I wasn't nervous adopting our first (Rainey) but I was every time we added a new one (Nube to Rainey, Larry to Nube and now Zeke to Larry) -- I always worry about how they'll get along -- I'm so paranoid about aggression and fights with these guys. So being nervous is normal. :)

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

The martingale collar issue has gone round-n-round. Its not as horrible as you would think. I ran a poll on this very website and an overwelming majority of the respondants didnt have any problems with collars. There are worse things to worry about.

The martingale collar issue has gone round-n-round. Its not as horrible as you would think. I ran a poll on this very website and an overwelming majority of the respondants didnt have any problems with collars. There are worse things to worry about.

I don't know. The possibility of choking to death with the D ring tightening as they struggle to get free seems pretty horrible to me.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

As I said, I took a poll and there were less than 5 people that actually had first-hand experience with a choking hound caused by the martingale collar (with over 150 respondants). That seems like a very small possibility, statistically speaking. Of course it is not a very scientific pole, but its the best I could do here. I would think the chance of being run over by a car is more than being choked by a martingale collar.

Chad

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest 2greys2cats
As I said, I took a poll and there were less than 5 people that actually had first-hand experience with a choking hound caused by the martingale collar (with over 150 respondants). That seems like a very small possibility, statistically speaking. Of course it is not a very scientific pole, but its the best I could do here. I would think the chance of being run over by a car is more than being choked by a martingale collar.

Chad

That's 5 people on greytalk who responded to the survey. There are many many more greyhound owners that are not on greytalk. I was one of the people that had a greyhound who nearly choked, so to me it's not worth the risk. Why put your hound at risk for no good reason.

Guest 2greys2cats
I don't know. The possibility of choking to death with the D ring tightening as they struggle to get free seems pretty horrible to me.

:sad1 uh huh - not worth the risk

Edited by 2greys2cats

Chad

I wouldn't let my dog off-leash by a road, because I know there is a chance he may get hit by a car. IMO not keeping his martingale on because he might choke is the same thing. Yes, it is a small chance. But, if it is something you can very easily prevent, why would you let there be a chance in the first place? Just my 2 cents.

ETA: Sorry I know this is getting off-topic from the main post. I didn't say it earlier--congrats, OP, on choosing to adopt! I hope things go great :)

Edited by jschwe

Sorry, I kind of got things off track in this thread. My main point is that one person's word on what should be done isn't necessarily "law." A person has to weigh the options and then do what they feel is best for their hound.

Guest Sportingfields

You've gotten great advice here. If you aren't on overload, check out these links. The first is by Kathleen Gilley, from the dog's perspective in it's first home. The second is a series of 7 articles, On The Farm that takes your pups from birth to when they leave for the track.

http://www.greyhoundadopt.org/documents/Gilley_Girls_Article_ideas_for_problems.pdf

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/misc/on_the_farm/the_formative_months.shtml

I was a foster home in the late 90's, for about 5 years. There was no thing as GT & other forums, the group was fairly new and most of what I did was common sense, trial & error of what worked what did not. Three things you need to remember, greys live in a crate at the track, it's not something new that is sprung on them when they reach retirement. Also, it takes them all of 30 seconds to realize that it is better to be an" outie", than an "innie" :) and the last thing is that Greyhounds are raised in a pack structure. An only dog looks to you to be a part of his pack and he will cry if he is separated. So you need to teach him to be alone for periods of time without anxiety. As much as everyone on GT loves their dogs, it is necessary for humans to do, well... human stuff. They can't be in our pocket 24/7 and we really aren't doing them any favors if they are. Time will come that the dog has to be separated from you. You wouldn't want him to be anxious, crying, not eating ect.

There are many more people on GT, with much more experience than I, but if you've question that you feel I might be able to help with, you can email me thru my website, link on bottom of home page.

Guest buttonwillow

Heh this reminds me of how freaked out I got after adopting Josie. I felt like I was doing everything wrong and the dog didn't like me. Now she follows me everywhere and always has to be lying next to me. There is no question that she likes us! I would say it took her a good six months for her to really begin to relax. She always was good with the cats; I've left her alone with them, no muzzle, since a few months after we got her (she was crated or muzzled when alone before that). Had her for 2.5 years now. Best friend ever.

In your case, I'd suggest feeding full meals inside crate, then letting hound out within 3-5 minutes immediately after eating. This helps build daily positive crate experiences without hound feeling abandoned too long, and helps prevent hound from developing a dreaded fear of crate. Sounds like you already know good things need to happen for the hound during each crate session. You could put hound back in crate for a longer training session later in day with Kong. As mentioned, hand feeding helps bonding, but you could feed 1-2 meals by hand or hand feed treats, then move to feeding meals inside crate thereafter. Racing Greyhounds are used to eating meals in kennel crates. BTW, if you're not aware - never put hound in crate as punishment. Crate needs to remain a happy and safe space from the dog's perspective. Always praise/treat dog when going in crate. Crate friendly dogs are a joy when traveling, going into a veterinary hospital, visiting family, etc.

Low soothing music or talk radio often helps a hound feel less alone. When there are no other dogs in the new home, it helps some new hounds to see their Greyhound reflection in a mirror. Great if there is a mirrored door directly across the room from crate, or if you can secure a mirror at floor level several feet away from the crate (i.e., with bungee cord, etc.). Just be sure direct sun will not hit the mirror anytime during day. (Dogs in crates should not be in direct sun.) Retired racers come from a lifetime with other Greyhounds in their kennels so they're used to seeing Greyhound buddies nearby.

I once watched an adoption coordinator show a brand new grey adopter how to teach a dog to sit by hugging it and folding it's back legs. This is a legitimate method, but I would NEVER do it with a brand new dog on the first day before the dog knows who you are and has no reason to trust you. It's no surprise when I later heard from the new owner that they took the dog home and tried it - and immediately taught the dog to run away from them. It's not a major crisis when something like that happens, but then you do have to take a few more steps backward to regain the dog's trust before you can go forward again. And for a brand new adopter... well, they don't need that, frankly. So when people tell/show you things, ask lots of questions and proceed with caution.

Wow, this is scary to read. Our male Greyhound would bite anyone who tried this type of forced personal body-space-invasive man-handling. Many new fosters are equally uncomfortable with that type of physical handling, even weeks after knowing a human. I much prefer positive, non-physical training methods, and to begin after the new human has had a month (or longer) of bonding and working to earn the trust of their new Greyhound. For safety reasons within the earliest weeks, I do begin familiarizing words to actions like "Fido come" (for treats) inside the house, "wait" while safely leashed at doors, and leash heeling next to human's side for walking safety.

Edited by 3greytjoys

See, its been beat to death on this forum and just keeps on getting legs...

Yes, but perhaps someone new to the forum may not be aware and can learn from it and form their own opinion. I am always reminded by these discussions of an ex GTer who's hound's martingale got caught on her fence and was strangled and you could see all the claw marks on her fence from her pups trying to escape. What are the odds? However, someone may learn the dangers of martingales getting caught on things you'd least expect, and to always be diligent indoors and outside when other owners argue for or against. Repeating things some experienced owners are aware of is fine in my opinion.

What many of us do on GT is try to prove we're "right" rather than agree we have differences of opinion. That is what gets tiring, not educating new greyhound owners.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Yes, but perhaps someone new to the forum may not be aware and can learn from it and form their own opinion. I am always reminded by these discussions of an ex GTer who's hound's martingale got caught on her fence and was strangled and you could see all the claw marks on her fence from her pups trying to escape. What are the odds? However, someone may learn the dangers of martingales getting caught on things you'd least expect, and to always be diligent indoors and outside when other owners argue for or against. Repeating things some experienced owners are aware of is fine in my opinion.

What many of us do on GT is try to prove we're "right" rather than agree we have differences of opinion. That is what gets tiring, not educating new greyhound owners.

Well said, Jan.

Good luck OP! Haven't seen pics yet....post away and show her off!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I have also been wondering how the new hound is doing...

Can we get an update, mvd5555???

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

1 of mine is 100% cat safe. She would go out of her way not to upset a cat. The other would tear down my door to get to a cat on the other side. Both of mine are perfectly fine, uncrated in the house together or alone. They are both obedience trained. The cat safe one is not very reliably trained, but didn't really 'need' the training as she is always by my side and never really does anythiing wrong. My other one needed the training so she doesn't go after neighbors cats, etc. With training she has become 90% reliable with sits, downs, leave-its, etc. She will never be off-leash reliable. They are both loving and affectionate with family. One is not affectionate with strangers, but who cares? Neither are aggresive to people-ever. They both make me laugh out loud-all the time-at the crazy silly things they do. Neither would bite at me for prying food from their mouths or clipping their nails-they may not be happy with me but I trust them completely.

Guest Leah_siewert

I've skimmed through this topic and I just wanted to share my story because I think it will help

I'm finishing the 5th year of my program in school right now so I know it is tough to have the responsibility of a dog on top of a hectic schedule but you can do it!

My grey had all kinds of separation problems when I first got him and actually getting the thunder shirt really helped him when he was left alone.

He would chew things and scratch at doors and get uncontrollable diarrhea the poor thing. I had to work really hard with leaving him for 5 minutes, then 10 then 25 and gradually he learned that I would always come back and hash't had any problems since. It will take time (took us about a month) but don't give up! I do believe she is crying in the crate because she knows you're there I would let her enjoy your company when you're home and take coffee breaks (leave the house) to practice home alone so she will get used to it. Also leaving for really short periods of time helped him too.. like emptying the groceries I would pause outside just a little longer before I brought the next round of bags inside so I pop in and out for a variety of durations, he knows I will always come back.

Crating when you're gone is a good practice. This way you will have no concerns for her safety while you're not there, especially while she adjusts to everything new! Mixing some water and wet food in her kibble will keep her hydrated enough to stay in a crate with no water (in good climactic conditions) for up to 7 hours.

We started a training class once a week too! I absolutely recommend clicker training. I was able to teach my guy how to sit without ever forcing his butt on-to the floor! He just recently passed the AKC Canine Good Citizen Course and I'm so proud of him! We are also going to take the certification test for Therapy Dogs International so we can volunteer at the hospitals together. It was a really good bonding experience for us and it helped him to learn to always trust me no matter what. If I tell him to "leave it" if a child or stranger tries to feed him something he won't even touch it he will listen to me over anyone which is nice no matter where you go with your dog.

Another good tip is to fill the kong with peanut butter or yogurt the night before and stick it in the freezer! It lasts so much longer for them.

As far as getting a greyhound as your dog over other breeds was a smart decision for a busy schedule. My grey sleeps all day while I sit at my desk doing work and he looks just as happy as can be just to have the sun shining on him laying all over a soft couch.

Good luck and I hope your life changes positively as mine did after rescuing my Mackinley

Guest 2greys2cats

It's all good advice, except I don't necessarily agree with withholding water for 7 to 8 hours during the day. I use small coop cups in my crates and leave them an inch or two of water, just something to wet their whistle. Especially since they don't drink all night while we sleep, that doesn't give them much time during the day to be rehydrated. I'm sure others will disagree (It's the way great talk is), but you just have to do what you feel is right for your pup.

I'm sure we are all anxious for an update :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nonna49

Many years ago when I was searching various breeds for a new addition to our home, a breeder (I forget which one) said, "Whatever dog you choose, if you let it into your home and your heart will be a fantastic dog, even the weeniest pup in the litter will turn out to be amazing." I've found this to be true of all the dogs that have been in my home. Those we planned to adopt and those who ended up here. My Stoney, husky/greyhound, was my daughter's ex-husband's brother's dog, an 18 month old wild child. I thought I'd never bond with him. He was supposed to be temporary. He will be 14 the end of March and is one of the best planet.

My other hounds came to us sight unseen, until the day we brought them home. The two in current residence, Dash and Dot are delightful, with the exception of some bugs we're still working on with Dot, that will eventually work themselves out ;-)

Dash tolerated the cat until he went over the rainbow bridge a few years after Dash came to us. Outside feral cats, were another Story, Dash thought of them as really fast stuffed toys. She never really hurt one, but we don't have as many feral feline visitors as we did before Dash's arrival.

All of our dogs play well with other puppy-children, even at off lead dog parks. They don't know a stranger, dog or human. Reclaiming the people furniture once our Great Dane was fully grown resulted in not allowing our dogs on beds or furniture, although we have several dog beds in the common areas so they lounge comfortably wherever we are.

They all love to go for rides in the car, going to the vet is apparently a treat (all of my dogs have pulled to go INTO the vet's office), they are well mannered in hotels and outdoor venues which allow dogs. Dash and Stoney roam free when they are left alone, Dot isn't done cooking yet, so she's crated until she matures a bit.

None of my greys have destroyed stuff, exactly. Early on, they exhibited a tendency to 'borrow' things...a sock, my knitting, shearling slippers. Very little damage was done, and they out grew this behavior quickly. Dash and Dot each had one episode of counter/table surfing in the early days, but gave that up as game not profitable. Nylabones and their chewing products are my toys of choice. Some dogs love them, some don’t. Dot thinks they are a gift from God. Dash isn’t interested, even when spread with a patina of peanut butter. ;-)

If you work closely with your adoption agency, as others have stated, you will be a grand puppy parent. If on the other hand you aren’t absolutely, over the moon when you first cuddle your new dog, perhaps wait a bit before you bring your dog home. If possible visit your pooch several times to establish a bond, and the confidence you need to go solo.

There will be problems, few of which will be insurmountable, and the trade off will be a loving companion for each of you.

Wish the OP would give us an update.....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg