Getting Cold Feet About Adopting A Greyhound

Guest mvd5555

Guest zombrie

Like Batmom said, if there is a group near you I think it would be a great idea to attend meet n greets so you can get the feel for the typical temperament of greyhounds. If you can be around them and understand what they are like then it may erase your fears and you could start getting excited rather than worry!
But I also agree that if you are worrying this much, maybe adopting isn't the right choice for you right now. I said it before but problems can arise in any breed of dog, these are issues that are definitely not unique to greyhounds! I've never had any issues with my dogs (only slight separation anxiety) but it wouldn't be fair to say that your dog won't have any issues either because you just don't know. But if your dog is being fostered then you will know if the dog has any issues or not depending on how long the foster family has had her. I would just hate to see a greyhound or any dog brought back to a group because you weren't ready.

Edited by zombrie

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say that this thread has been a really good thing for me. I've had my new boy Rudy since Thursday and for the first few days I was finding myself suddenly nervous and wondering about a lot of the issues/questions I've seen addressed here.

One thing I feel is I want to set him up for success, so I haven't even pushed or "tried" to do things that might trigger nervousness in him right now. I haven't tried to pet him when he's on his bed or sit next to him. I haven't tried to touch his food bowl while he's eating. He's new here and I want him first of all to learn it's a safe place where he's not immediately "tested." I'm taking baby steps. He has not growled at me when I went by his bed but he has growled at my girls (my other 2 dogs) at first when they walked by him. He has stopped doing that now, already. Yesterday I sat on the empty dog bed (it's a big one that 2-3 dogs could lay on) and he came up for attention. After a few moments I invited him next to me and he laid down next to me. Then we just sat together for a bit. I feel our first experience being on the same bed was one in which we were both comfortable and neither felt tense. I've walked up while he's eating and offered him some bits of cheese by hand (which he loves) and he has shown no nervousness of me approaching his feeding area.

I know little issues MIGHT pop up after we all get more comfortable, but then I think back that there has never been a dog I did not have some quirk or issue to work through and we always did. There are lots of retired greyhounds out there in homes, but they haven't come anywhere near making any dangerous dog lists ;).

My relationship with Rudy is already really blooming, and I know we'll get through the next few months as we both continue to adjust.

Edited by k9soul

Guest Wasserbuffel

My relationship with Rudy is already really blooming, and I know we'll get through the next few months as we both continue to adjust.

You're doing really well! I'm glad you're enjoying your new boy!

I have had greys for 11 years, and I still get nervous about adding another to my home. It's normal to have questions or feel like you need to second guess yourself. I did that when we got Franny three years ago. I did it again when we got our foster last May. These feelings went away within about a day of the dog being there.

Maybe what you need is to adopt a dog that has bounced, meaning one that has been in a home for awhile and is being returned, or maybe an older dog that is a bit more laid back that will be content to curl up on your couch and just hang out with you. There are plenty of dogs like that need homes too. In fact, all three of mine, and my fosters have all been bounces. They need homes and love just as much as a new off the track dog does.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

We have had 4 hounds. Only our first was not very affectionate. After we had her for a couple of months, she was more affectionate. She greeted me every day when I came home from school with a toothy grin which at first scared me to death. She would hug me all the way down the hall! She never got up on the furniture. Our next grey was super sweet and taught our first how to be a pet. He had SA but that went away pretty fast. Our third is a snuggle bug. He is super sweet and loves everyone! He thinks everyone loves him too. Our last one is super sweet but a PITA too. She is just two so she is still a baby. I wouldn't have traded any of them in for a new one! They are the most perfect dog I have ever had. I grew up with Boston Terriers and Cocker Spaniels. They were much grouchier than my hounds.

Good Luck!

Guest 2greys2cats
I just wanted to say that this thread has been a really good thing for me. I've had my new boy Rudy since Thursday and for the first few days I was finding myself suddenly nervous and wondering about a lot of the issues/questions I've seen addressed here.

One thing I feel is I want to set him up for success, so I haven't even pushed or "tried" to do things that might trigger nervousness in him right now. I haven't tried to pet him when he's on his bed or sit next to him. I haven't tried to touch his food bowl while he's eating. He's new here and I want him first of all to learn it's a safe place where he's not immediately "tested." I'm taking baby steps. He has not growled at me when I went by his bed but he has growled at my girls (my other 2 dogs) at first when they walked by him. He has stopped doing that now, already. Yesterday I sat on the empty dog bed (it's a big one that 2-3 dogs could lay on) and he came up for attention. After a few moments I invited him next to me and he laid down next to me. Then we just sat together for a bit. I feel our first experience being on the same bed was one in which we were both comfortable and neither felt tense. I've walked up while he's eating and offered him some bits of cheese by hand (which he loves) and he has shown no nervousness of me approaching his feeding area.

I know little issues MIGHT pop up after we all get more comfortable, but then I think back that there has never been a dog I did not have some quirk or issue to work through and we always did. There are lots of retired greyhounds out there in homes, but they haven't come anywhere near making any dangerous dog lists ;).

You're doing all the right things. And sometimes they do growl at children initially because they may not have been exposed to them so it's more of a "what are these little beings doing here"? Congratulations on your new greyhound!!

Guest mvd5555

At the risk of being criticized, I'll admit that after a long talk with the adoption group and the dog's foster family, I've decided to adopt. I'll be bringing her home soon and am nervous/excited. I appreciate all the good advice from everyone.

Relax and enjoy.

Can you tell us a bit about 'her'?

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Adopting your first Greyhound only happens once in your life.

An exciting time... Enjoy the experience!

And post pictures as soon as you can!

:gh_bow

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

No criticism here. I'm excited for you! I posted earlier about how "perfect" my two are (and at the same time mentioned a few flaws; hopefully you all noticed that... LOL ) But let me tell you my first case of nerves after adopting Capri. First day home, I'm trying to just go about my normal daily routine which included eating lunch at my computer desk. Capri was VERY interested in my sandwich and followed me up the stairs. In fact, she ran up past me which put her in the position of being able to lean down and snap up my food while I was on the stairs. She didn't; I managed to fend her off but I don't remember how. She avidly followed me to the desk, sniffing the entire way. I thought "OMG, do I have to eat at the dining room table all the time from now on to avoid fighting with the dog over MY food?" I emailed my adoption buddy and asked him what can I do. He replied and told me to just tell her to lay down. :lol

Even though she's super food-motivated, she's never been a problem - doesn't even counter surf. So don't let the initial case of nerves bother you. Just show your new dog what you expect and what your house rules are, and things will be fine!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

At the risk of being criticized, I'll admit that after a long talk with the adoption group and the dog's foster family, I've decided to adopt. I'll be bringing her home soon and am nervous/excited. I appreciate all the good advice from everyone.

GOOD LUCK! Keep us updated on how everything is going..and definitely include pics!

Guest mvd5555

I will post some pictures tonight after I pick her up! She's 3, 65lbs and black with a white chest :) I'm going to start teaching her the clicker for the first few days she's home, and then move on to "down" after she gets more comfortable here. I'll keep you posted!

Awww I'm happy for you. The fact you were nervous/questioning means you take the adoption very seriously. I can't wait to see/hear more. I tend to be an anxious person in general, prone to catastrophizing, so I often tell myself "things are never as bad as my fears about them."

Like you, I, too, was very uncertain about adopting a greyhound. I had only had cats, and was concerned about them as well. It took a long time, a lot of begging on the part of my daughter, and several phone calls to people in the adoption group before I was sorta-kinda OK with the idea.

Our first dog was perfect. Two years old, a little girl. She came home, ran around the back yard, and was cockroached on her bed within about an hour. All that worrying, for nothing. :rolleyes:

Our second dog we adopted two months later. A boy, who was a two-time bounce, and did have a few issues--largely related to trust, as we came to learn. He changed immensely in the first two years we had him, and turned into my lap dog. Went from growling if you got too close, to cuddling ALL THE TIME.

Third dog--sister to the first. Not as 'outgoing' as her sister, more reserved, but really, no problems at all with her. Oh, she did want to eat the cat initially, but an hour in the muzzle, being told "NO CAT!" was all it took. She had simply not been in a foster home with cats, even though she passed her 'cat test'....after that first day, she could not have cared less about the cats.

Fourth dog--got him off a farm. Perfect in every way--didn't care about the cats a bit. We fostered him, and adopted him. He just died last November, had a bizarre intestinal disease. :(

All of my dogs are gone now :( but they truly changed my life. I made friends through them, people who are still my friends even though our dogs might be gone. I miss them all of my dogs terribly.

Don't forget the rules--lots of pictures!!

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest TBSFlame

Just give her time. I have owned many hounds and the 4 I currently have all want to lay in my lap or anyone else that visits will have a dog trying to lay in their lap. Greyhound are just like any other breed in that each dog is different. Tell your adoption group what you are looking for as they will know the hound. Then just give her time to settle in.

I'm going to start teaching her the clicker for the first few days she's home, and then move on to "down" after she gets more comfortable here.

Congrats, and look forward to your photos! I'd actually suggest just giving her a week or two to settle in and adjust to your household and routine without doing a lot of training. They need some time to just get used to things and trying to do too much in the first few days can be confusing.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest 2greys2cats
Congrats, and look forward to your photos! I'd actually suggest just giving her a week or two to settle in and adjust to your household and routine without doing a lot of training. They need some time to just get used to things and trying to do too much in the first few days can be confusing.

I couldn't agree more. I say give this poor dog two weeks to a month just to settle in. Everything is going to be new and a little stressful for her. Greyhounds are not used to a lot of change in their lives. I think just giving her some space and time to relax and take in her new surroundings would be best

Guest iclarkz

I second that you should give her a few weeks before training. Think of all the new expectations on her! New house, new rules, new smells, etc. Also, she may be afraid of clicker. . . My Evie is, so we'll be going extra slow. She's a black girl with a white chest, like yours. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will!

No critisism at all. If you're ready to do it then congratulations! Relax as much as you can cuz that will help you both, enjoy and take pics! Oh and black means it will turn out perfectly!! :lol:

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I couldn't agree more. I say give this poor dog two weeks to a month just to settle in. Everything is going to be new and a little stressful for her. Greyhounds are not used to a lot of change in their lives. I think just giving her some space and time to relax and take in her new surroundings would be best

:nod

Just let her settle in.

Don't ask her to do much of anything except explore her new home and get to know you.

She'll let you know when she's ready for more.

We've had multiple large breed dogs for 30 years. Everything from a Springer to Dobes (3) to GSD and a Pointer.

All of them went to 'school'....some went multiple sessions, just because it was 'fun'.

Some did Agility and Rally Obedience.

Three of them were certified Therapy Dogs.

However, with the Greyhounds I have not done any of that.... with the exception of Nixon's Therapy Dog stuff.

They all came to us knowing how to walk properly on a leash and teaching them to 'sit' was as far as we got with 'training'.

We're just happy to have lazy, content, hounds laying around the house.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Wasserbuffel

I started training within a week or so of my grey coming home. I fed her by hand, and worked one or two things in at mealtimes. Although it helped that my grey is VERY outgoing and food motivated.