Mystery Pain, E-Vet Can't Find Cause

Guest mhall

Jasper spent all of last night pacing the house. I initially thought maybe he had a stomach bug coming on as he kept wanting to go outside. Took him to the e-vet this morning, as he went the whole night without laying down, and the few times he attempted to early in the morning he whimpered and shot back up. We poked and prodded him to try to pinpoint the pain and couldn't get any sort of reaction, other than the muscles in his back end seeming tense. He's had minor muscle injuries before, but has never totally refused to lay down in bed. I also gave him tramadol early this morning, and it didn't help at all.

The vet discovered his abdomen was tender near his stomach, and they did x-rays, which came back completely normal. They admitted him for observation and so a few other vets could look him over during morning rounds. No one could find anything wrong with him, aside from the abdominal tenderness and refusing to lay down. They're giving him pain medication now to see if he'll calm down, but other than that aren't really sure how to proceed.

Any ideas what it could be? Hoping he can come home today - we've had a bad run of e-vet visits lately!

Probably neck/back soreness BUT I would want a urinalysis and bloodwork just in case. Hugs and hopes your boy is home and well soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He's home. Still don't know what's up, but pain medication definitely seemed to help though he obviously still hurts and is finding laying down very difficult (least he can do it now though). Blood work was normal, and we asked the vet to run a urinalysis even though she didn't think it was a UTI.

Could back or neck pain somehow be referred to his stomach? It's definitely his front that hurts.

Thanks for the suggestions! We'll follow up with his regular vet if this continues. Would have preferred to see her today but it wasn't an option.

I'm guessing the xray did not show excessive gas in his stomach or bowels?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Could back or neck pain somehow be referred to his stomach? It's definitely his front that hurts.

Yes, I see it more with back pain, probably because when you palpate the abdomen, it can apply a little pressure to the spine as well. But neck pain can make them seem painful everywhere.

Is he eating ok? Normal stools? If appetite is normal and everything is passing through ok, then I don't worry as much about the abdominal pain indicating an internal problem. Can be a bit difficult to assess if his appetite is decreased due to pain.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm guessing the xray did not show excessive gas in his stomach or bowels?

No gas in x-rays. The only abnormal finding in the exam was that J seemed to enjoy the prostate exam. :blush

Yes, I see it more with back pain, probably because when you palpate the abdomen, it can apply a little pressure to the spine as well. But neck pain can make them seem painful everywhere.

Is he eating ok? Normal stools? If appetite is normal and everything is passing through ok, then I don't worry as much about the abdominal pain indicating an internal problem. Can be a bit difficult to assess if his appetite is decreased due to pain.

Eating fine, just the trouble lying down and getting up. At this point we're relatively confident it is pulled muscle. It seems to bug him when he really stretches his abdomen. When he wants to lay down he can't sphinx, but can kind of flop on his side.

did the vet physically manipulate your pup's legs, neck, feel spine, etc to see if the pain is related to a joint? or did the vet watch the dog move? those 2 easy, cheap procedures can often rule out joint problems.

DH took him to the vet because I had to get to school, so I'm not sure what all was done. He did mention the vet checking for joint and spine issues, but I'll fine out what all they did.

Thanks again, everyone!