Desi's Scary Ultrasound Image

DesisultrasoundJan2013.png

Is this scary, or what? This image shows both triceps.....the one on the right is of his left.....the "good" one.

The one on the left..... :weep

Dr.Clemente did email me this morning. Said to give it 3-5 more days.

The big boy still won't eat......today he had a few little pieces of chicken & a snausage :puke and now he has diarrhea. Yea.

I cut the Tramadol down some because of all the pacing & panting......we slept better last night, but now his pain level is up some.

Did not get the Cerenia or Mirtazapine today, dr at my clinic said to give him another day or so, and Dr. Clemente also seemed

to be more concerned about the pain level than him not eating.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

What's the prognosis?

"Guarded" since they don't know exactly what we're dealing with......they want to do a sx biopsy/histopath; I'm in denial & dragging my feet.

He took Gabapentin once before & it did exactly nothing. But that was a whole nother problem.....you're right, may be worth a try.

Can't possibly be any worse than he is on the humongous dose of Tramadol.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Kathy, I have no idea what to make of the scan, It sounds like they don't think it could be as simple as a muscle tear.

I hope you can get him to start eating something! If all else fails, could you squirt some Ensure or Dyne into his mouth and get him to swallow some? I think a lot of times, once a dog gets a bit of food in, it tends to build on itself.

I've been thinking a lot about you both, and am continuing to send all good thoughts your way!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest grey_dreams

Oh my.

If all else fails, could you squirt some Ensure or Dyne into his mouth and get him to swallow some? I think a lot of times, once a dog gets a bit of food in, it tends to build on itself.

Agree with Wendy that getting something into him might help to start up his appetite.

Sending a lot of good wishes for you and Desi.

I think I would want the biopsy. That's just me, I hate the unknown. Hope he starts eating soon and you can reach some sort of pain control with him.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Mashed potatoes + Ensure in a syringe has never let us down here!

I'd try the gabapentin too :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Gabapentin--and according to OSU, smaller doses administered more often, not a whopper dose once or twice a day. (It's got a short half-life.)

Expect it to take about 48 hours to get up to speed in Desi. You can fill gabapentin scripts at standard drug stores, probably more cheaply than at your vet. Ask for a prescription for the 100mg capsules; that'll give you better dosing control than the bigger pill will. My 65-pound boy can take up to 900mg a day. Right now, he gets 200mg, three times a day, and I can give him an extra in between if I need to. And he's on a small dose of tramadol (and meloxicam and methocarbamol), so we don't have to deal with the anxiety-reaction you can get from larger doses of tramadol.

Try to warm whatever food you're tempting him with. Apparently, warmer smells better.

Good luck.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)