Question On Sa While At Home

So alone training has been going really well. I went back to square one and used the kong and would leave the room for just a minute, come back in, take it away and repeat for a longer time. Once he got to about a half hour, i left the house. Came home, and I could tell he had been sleeping when I came in, nothing was destroyed, no accidents, etc. (he is being kept in the family room for now). My SA issue is when DH and I are both home. So today he is off and we are trying to do things around the house together and Mover is just flipping out. He can't stand knowing that we are in the other room. I tried using the Kong as a distraction and it doesn't work. I don't feel good about leaving him in the other room crying...is this wrong? I've tried taking him out to run, etc to get his energy out, but it's just been really bad today. I don't know what else to try right now....

Is there a reason he can't be with you while your home? Or where he can see you? Brandi used to be right beside me the whole time I was home. Gradually she spent more and more time in bed with periodic checks on me.

Yes!!

Glad the alone training is going well but I wouldn't keep him away from you while you're home.

My guys would go insane if they weren't in the same room as us!!!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry was attached to me constantly for months (we've had him for 10 months now). When I closed the bathroom door he would whine. Now he spends a lot of time away from us napping in his crate or his bed in the living room while I'm in the den or kitchen. He still has days when he demands my attention and follows me around, but I think as he became/becomes more adjusted he' s less nervous.

Is there a reason he can't be with you while your home? Or where he can see you? Brandi used to be right beside me the whole time I was home. Gradually she spent more and more time in bed with periodic checks on me.

The only reason is that he's been having some accidents behind my back. I swear if I take my eyes off him for a second he might have one. He can go a week without an accident and then have 2 in a row. We are still working on housebreaking. Should I still let him out?

Confused. If he's having accidents behind your back, are they anxiety related? If so, it seems to be more reason to have him with you rather than not.

Well, I don't think they're anxiety related....once he's free he's really calm and doesn't even stay in the room with us or follow us a lot of the time. He doesn't show any signs of stress. He's pretty content being on his own once he's not confined. I'm having a really difficult time housebreaking him, so maybe that is the bigger issue here.

How long have you had him for? We've only had ours for a little over a month but housebreaking (and SA) have been a bit frustrating for us as well. With the housebreaking, we are finding that he has certain "rules" like: if we take him out anywhere--even if its to the park to walk around--we have to take him around the backyard before we go in or he will pee in the house. Also, if one of us leaves, the other has to take him out around the same time or again he'll have an accident.

I know that yours probably won't be the same, and probably these things will change when e gets used to the place, but IMO it's easier to housebreak than try and keep him separated like that. We also have a diaper that we put on him when we are busy around the house, it's easier than trying to watch him every second. And, he would freak if he couldn't be right next to us.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Housebreaking 101:

1) take out OFTEN. Every hour (while awake) for the first week. Bring along treats and make a super huge deal when the hound eliminates

2) take out immediately after feeding, not before, not a few minutes after, but immediately after eating

3) feed at the same time every day

4) suggest to feed as soon as you wake up in the morning, that way there are no chances for accidents in the morning

5) DO NOT scold for accidents in the house. If you catch him having an accident, a simple sharp noise to startle him to stop peeing, then wisk him outside and treat when he eliminates outside.

6) after week 1, you can start to take him out ever few hours.

7) repeat

8) after week 3 you can take him out every 4 hours.

9) repeat

by now the hound should be reliable. The key to success is consistency in both routine of feeding and letting out, as well as praise and treats when eliminating outside.

Chad

Housebreaking 101:

1) take out OFTEN. Every hour (while awake) for the first week. Bring along treats and make a super huge deal when the hound eliminates

2) take out immediately after feeding, not before, not a few minutes after, but immediately after eating

3) feed at the same time every day

4) suggest to feed as soon as you wake up in the morning, that way there are no chances for accidents in the morning

5) DO NOT scold for accidents in the house. If you catch him having an accident, a simple sharp noise to startle him to stop peeing, then wisk him outside and treat when he eliminates outside.

6) after week 1, you can start to take him out ever few hours.

7) repeat

8) after week 3 you can take him out every 4 hours.

9) repeat

by now the hound should be reliable. The key to success is consistency in both routine of feeding and letting out, as well as praise and treats when eliminating outside.

Chad

Agree with all of this. Someone else mentioned using a diaper. A lot of people look to belly bands and doggie diapers as quick fixes. While they do have appropriate uses (marking, incontinence), they aren't a substitute for good training. More harm than good IMHO.

When adopting any dog your cues, your training, your time is essential. That is what you sign up when adopting a animal into the family.

And family it is. I would first start with the socialization of your pupper to be around you, not isolated from the family. I understand your concern for the accidents and they should be delt with as the dog really does not have the hang of it yet. Daily, hourly he should be watched at at the first sign of pacing, circling or his leg, squatting, put his leash on and lead him outside. You must put the time in to get results and his trust. I don't think he has a SA situation when you are home, he just wants to be a part of the family.

Before working around the house, take him for a long walk and get rid of some energy, place his bed where he can see you, keep a eye on him for any accidents and do what you want, he will soon realize with repetition that life is easy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Agree with all of this. Someone else mentioned using a diaper. A lot of people look to belly bands and doggie diapers as quick fixes. While they do have appropriate uses (marking, incontinence), they aren't a substitute for good training. More harm than good IMHO.

I agree that using a diaper instead of training doesn't help. I meant that more toward the SA side of things--ours right now is peeing sometimes out of anxiety, and he gives no warning so it's more just so that we don't have to clean carpets. We still treat him like a puppy and take him out constantly, he is getting much better. Although I realize this isn't for everyone!

When adopting any dog your cues, your training, your time is essential. That is what you sign up when adopting a animal into the family.

And family it is. I would first start with the socialization of your pupper to be around you, not isolated from the family. I understand your concern for the accidents and they should be delt with as the dog really does not have the hang of it yet. Daily, hourly he should be watched at at the first sign of pacing, circling or his leg, squatting, put his leash on and lead him outside. You must put the time in to get results and his trust. I don't think he has a SA situation when you are home, he just wants to be a part of the family.

Before working around the house, take him for a long walk and get rid of some energy, place his bed where he can see you, keep a eye on him for any accidents and do what you want, he will soon realize with repetition that life is easy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg