New Growling At Other Dogs

Guest cbrundage

Guest cbrundage

My daughter and son-in-law adopted a lovely greyhound 2 months ago. They have been wonderful about informing themselves on the best way to deal with her and with greyhound traits in general. I have started walking the dog once during the day - my son-in-law works from home and walks her also during the day. They tell me that at first she loved other dogs, wanted to rush up and meet them, but lately has become afraid, esp. of small barky dogs, and whimpers and growls. I noticed the other day when I walked her, there was a dog behind a fence, set well back from the street, just looking out, not barking or moving around. Lara first whimpered and then began to growl. Yet we can go past houses where dogs are in the window looking out and barking loudly and she doesn't pay attention to them. What is the best way to deal with this? Thanks for any tips.

Take some tiny treats with you and teach her "look at me" when she looks at you, give her a treat and praise her. It's a way of distracting her from what she is fearing, because it sounds like what you are seeing is a response to something that makes her fearful. Keep walking as you do this and hopefully soon she won't pay attention to these dogs. A lot of greyhounds are afraid of little dogs. Some have never seen them before.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I have this with Lou and I find he starts to bark when he thinks the dogs are to close. However, all parties

should try the "watch me' approach. You involves having a treat and before he reacts to another dog, you give commend of "watch me" with the treat in front of his nose and him looking at your face. The idea is to re-direct his energy. You can start the training in the yard or in the house and then apply when walking on leash. They usually catch on fast.

You will get other tips and this is the place to read for great info. Good luck and keep us posted.

Guest cbrundage

Thanks so much to both of you. I had taken treats with me but not to use as you both suggested - I will work on that. I had thought a treat would help because the first walk I had with her she seemed hesitant without her "family" with her, even though I have gone walking with them and the dog before. I think my daughter has been on this forum before and it is wonderful to have such helpful people here.

I would start the training in a controlled setting like home or back yard. Make it a game, exciting treat to an excited voice. Watch me, Watch me, good girl. Also, when another dog is approaching and you see the signs of she is going to growl, start watch me, you do not give her the treat until the situation is settled. Also, make sure treat is really a desirable that the doggy really, really, likes.

Guest blueberri

We have had exactly this happen also. For our boy he's afraid, and it's a case of "the best defense is a good offense" so he's trying to make the other dogs stay away before they can get him. For Sparky it started after a dog at the park went him, barking, snapping at his neck, rearing back etc. We're trying to work through it now in his obedience classes, keeping our distance and maintaining his comfort zone, which improves as the class goes on. Any signs of anxiety and we pull him back to a more comfortable space. The first class resulted in Sparky and a very high-energy bull terrier type pup "meeting" and being comfortable together. Shocked the hell out of me! It's a work in progress though, as he continues to do it on walks.

Guest cbrundage

I agree that I think it is because she is afraid because she whimpered first and then growled. I'd like her to get to the point that she isn't bothered by other dogs.

Some greyhounds are afraid of other breeds. You may find that the dog reacts differently to another greyhound. Unfortunately we don't live in a world of just greyhounds so the object is to get her past her fear by distraction. I definitely would avoid any face to face confrontations with little dogs until you've trained her to look at you so you have some control. She may always be afraid of little dogs or at some point she may realize that they are okay to be around.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest cbrundage

I've read that many greyhounds aren't comfortable with small dogs. I am avoiding other dogs when I walk her - so far there has been no problem, but I know when my daughter and son-in-law walk on the greenway trails where there are quite a few other dogs, she gets upset, also with large dogs if they bark at her or try to lunge at her. I don't blame her for being afraid - she only recently retired from racing and only knew other greyhounds her whole life. We haven't run into any greyhounds so far so I don't know what her reaction would be, but she seemed very happy with the other ones at the greyhound rescue.

I've read that many greyhounds aren't comfortable with small dogs. I am avoiding other dogs when I walk her - so far there has been no problem, but I know when my daughter and son-in-law walk on the greenway trails where there are quite a few other dogs, she gets upset, also with large dogs if they bark at her or try to lunge at her.

One scary encounter, even if it doesn't seem like much to you or me, can be very traumatic for a dog. She doesn't yet understand the intentions of other dogs, especially if she's experienced ones that were barking and lunging. One of my boys had an incident at the dog park where I grabbed his collar to give him a time-out, and another dog who noticed his vulnerability came right up and lunged at us. Beforehand, his leash manners were great. Since then, he's been much more reactive on leash and does not want other dogs sniffing him a certain way. He's getting better because we're doing more positive interactions during training. But if it's a deep-rooted fear, a lot of time and re-training can be needed to reverse the behavior.

I agree with the others that it's important to teach your dog "look" or "watch me" when passing other dogs. As you're walking past, pop some treats in her mouth. It's not only useful for fearful greys, but also for ones who are extremely friendly and want to greet every dog they see. When you're out in public, you never know how another dog is going to react. Most people will try to introduce the dogs nose to nose, which is considered confrontational in the "dog world" anyway. If you get your dog used to looking at you for direction, you can make introductions as controlled as possible.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest cbrundage

Thanks for your thoughts. I was going to start today with the "look" but it is bad weather so I will have to wait. My daughter has been reading the posts too and is going to work on it also. We are very grateful for all the support. This is such a sweet dog and I never really thought about what a different life they come from - new to homes, loving owners, stairs, other dogs, etc. It must be sort of scary for them to take it all in. But she seems so anxious to please and I am sure it will work out.

Guest zombrie

You've gotten really good advice - just wanted to add... lots and lots of time and exposure! She will learn that they aren't so scary.

I adopted my girl Minerva almost a year ago and she was petrified of non-greys, which worsened when she was attacked by an off leash chow chow. Almost a year later she is finally a lot better than she used to be (although she has her days...) But obviously she had a traumatic experience so it prolonged it. Your pup's fear of other dogs won't go away over night but if you just keep working on it she will get over it :)

Edited by zombrie

Guest cbrundage

We're going to do our best. She is SO good - I would never have believed how good a dog could be. I guess that's because I've always had cats and am so used to not being obeyed!!!

I'm the daughter, the owner of the greyhound whose name is Lara. It's nice to meet you all. I've been reading up on various topics on this forum, and being not only a first time grey owner, but a first time dog owner, have found it extremely helpful! Lara actually was initially very friendly to all dogs, big and small, but had a few dogs that barked and growled at her. It wasn't until after this that she started preemptively growling at them, so I'm sure it is a fear reaction to those couple of bad experiences. Her natural inclination is to be friendly to dogs, so I'm hoping this problem will be relatively easy to overcome. Thanks to all for the great advice!

Guest blueberri
We're going to do our best. She is SO good - I would never have believed how good a dog could be. I guess that's because I've always had cats and am so used to not being obeyed!!!

PMSL!!! Yes!! I too am a first time dog owner, and I am constantly amazed both at how wonderful Sparky is, but also just how much I love him :blush He can be a stubborn oaf, but so keen to please. It's all new territory for me.

Guest cbrundage

I've never had dogs but am doing a lot of learning - some about dogs and some about special issues with greyhounds like sleep aggression and Martingale collars, etc.. It's a wonderful experience for me and I hope for Lara too. Best wishes with Sparky - he is a handsome fellow!

Christina

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cbrundage

I posted the original message here 11 days ago and I wanted to give an update and thank everyone. We have been teaching Lara the "Look at me" technique and she picked it up after the second or third time! She is getting better about reacting to other dogs and when she doesn't growl (very rare now) we praise her a lot and give her a treat. She still fixates on other dogs and it is hard to get her attention away but she seems less intimidated by them.

It is comforting to know there are wonderful greyhound people willing to take the time to help new owners with the little problems greyhounds come with. She is surely a gem of a dog!

Glad things are getting better. Try your timing and get her to "Watch me" before the fixation starts The best is to walk on her side a head of her and get her attention and continue to walk with the watch me commend and hold onto that treat until the situation is calmer. Treat should be of high value, in other words she would do anything for that treat.

Guest cbrundage

LOL - she would do anything for ANY treat!! That's a good idea. I try to block her view as when she sees a dog she stops and stares intently. In fact, she starts staring even when the dog is at a distance which makes it hard to figure out when to do the "Look at me" command. But she hardly ever growls and when she does, it is very quiet, more like a gurgling sound.