Fear Of "normal" Sound

DH and I realise last night that Otis is affraid... of the heaters noise... :ohno

Our house is heated by electric heaters and they make a "clic" when they turn on or off (it's not lound!)

if Otis is laying on his bed in the living room during the evening or in the bedroom at night he will jump up when the clic happens...

will start walking all around and wants to go in an other room... could take several minutes to go back to his bed to sleep...

He obviously wants to "flee" the strange sound...

He does not cry or shake, tail is not tuck under...

We ask him to Lay Down... but it does not work all the time and Otis will stay up, doing the freeze statue...

I tried to ignore him but it can last a very long time...

How could we desensitized him?

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

He should get used to it if you can stand to ignore him for as long as it takes. You could try getting a "clicker" like the ones used for training, and train him to like the sound. Click treat click treat click treat - somewhere away from the room where he has the trouble. Use a high value treat in the beginning. Though this might back fire if he comes to expect a treat whenever the heater turns on! :lol

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

yes I tought about that.. but like you said it could back fire on me lol

last night I tried to ignore him.. after 45minutes I gave up and get out of bed to take Otis to the living room for the rest of the night... He did get up there too after heaters click but it took 5-10minutes to go back to his bed..

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

My bridge boy Smoke came to me at 12 years old, he had a fear of the washing machine, I don't have a basement, so the washer is off the kitchen....anyway, I learned a lot about desensitizing from this thread:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/264880-dishwasher-phobia/?hl=%2Bfear+%2Bwashing+%2Bmachine&do=findComment&comment=4793939

It helped me help him become comfortable with the washer, maybe it will help you too?

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

I would pair the click with a treat. Don't worry about him expecting a treat every time the heat comes on. If it gets to that point, you've accomplished your goal, and he won't become afraid of the click again even after you stop giving him treats.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

All my babies had some sort of phobia of a new sound or motion over the years.

Sierra would shudder whenever the ceiling fans would start to run. She would look up and "head for the hills".

Bella would get scared of the gargabe truck and hide and get scared.

Angel would panic when fire works went off in the neighborhood.

I do not know the experitise advice to give, but I just loved them all through these new "panic buttons". Greyhounds are extra sensitive of the new environments we expose them to, and in time, they get used to it.