Going To Try Turkey Necks But Have ?

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Clawsandpaws

Well. The good news is, I didn't throw up while chopping the nails off the chicken feet, and my local grocery regularly carries turkey necks (will have more in tomorrow...Ran out today...?) The bad news is, all the calling around, gagging, and putting on my big girl pants were of no use. He doesn't like them!!

Guest FijiHound

It's even worse when they bite into the 'pad' of the foot and the toes jerk around right outside their mouths as if they're being tortured and trying to escape!

We tried duck feet once but it didn't go down so well as the chicken feet :lol

Cassie at least gave them a try - ewwwwww

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Do turkey necks result in vomiting the next morning, or do greys tend to do okay with them?

it can happen in the beginning, as their systems adjust. if it happens more than 2-3 times though, they may be sensitive to turkey. you could try chicken backs or duck necks instead.

Ah..Hm.. That might be a problem. Eli has to sleep with a muzzle + poop guard, so vomiting would be...bad. I'd hate for him to vomit into the muzzle - that would be horrible for him, I'm sure! The muzzle is necessary (sadly) until he grows out of his habit of pooping in the crate and eating it (thus resulting in bacterial infections). He gets an extended opportunity to poop at night now, but I'm not 100% trusting that he won't slip up again. Alas, I shall hold off on the turkey necks for now...

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest BlackandTan

I have to give mine outside.. They like to run and drop it before they go to town.. Personally I like them a bit frozen still, mine will swallow them whole if they are fully thawed.

I like using the bigger ones to for the same reason, more chewing. They may chew it swallow it and toss it up again... thats fine :)

Try local butcher shops.... I get 30lb boxes for less than $1.00 a lb

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo has had 2 this week and not had any issues. He doesn't have a sensitive stomach at all though.

Chicken feet, yeah not happening in this house. That just skeeves me out.

Guest blueberri
Chicken feet are definitely gross. We call them "witch hands."

Once, I bought a package, and one was gripping the styrofoam, almost like a zombie hand trying to escape. :blink:

PMSL!!! The first time I had them (yes, I have eaten them more than once!) all I could think of was the alien hand out of Total Recall (the Arnie version) and really struggled.... but I must admit, they are kinda tasty (think chicken wings).

The first time Sparky had a turkey neck the tried inhaling it whole... it very quickly fought back and he had to take his time. He goes through chicken necks way too fast (about 10 seconds, if that), so a nice fat turkey neck was a treat. Not very common round here though. Turkey is not consumed much in this country.

Okay, I have called EVERY butcher in my area (6 different places) and NONE of them have turkey necks or chicken necks!

I am going to look at Walmart later, but if they don't have anything, I'm thinking I might be out of luck, unless I can order online somehow :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

It's even worse when they bite into the 'pad' of the foot and the toes jerk around right outside their mouths as if they're being tortured and trying to escape!

We tried duck feet once but it didn't go down so well as the chicken feet :lol

Duck feet are even worse! They still have the webbing and everything. I sort of like ducks. :(

Guest FinnsMom
it can happen in the beginning, as their systems adjust. if it happens more than 2-3 times though, they may be sensitive to turkey. you could try chicken backs or duck necks instead.

The only time my guy puked was the first time because the neck I had was a huge one and as this is my first raw fed dog I was unaware of the bone amount. So in the morning there was a small pile of puke that was just neck bones. After that I cut the necks in half and now the supplier I use has normal sized turkey necks and he gets a whole one.

Guest FinnsMom
Okay, I have called EVERY butcher in my area (6 different places) and NONE of them have turkey necks or chicken necks!

I am going to look at Walmart later, but if they don't have anything, I'm thinking I might be out of luck, unless I can order online somehow :dunno

Did you ask if they could get them for you? Talk to the butcher or the person who does the ordering, they should be able to tell you what they can and cannot get from their suppliers.

Also, check for raw food providers in and around your area. That is how I found my raw supplier.

I am going to look at Walmart later, but if they don't have anything, I'm thinking I might be out of luck, unless I can order online somehow

Have you checked out "My Pet Carnivore?" It looks like they do deliveries to your city. You can order turkey or chicken necks, in large bulk packs or in 3 packs. They do charge a delivery fee which wouldn't be worth it for a few necks, but maybe you could contact them and add in a small order with someone else or at least get some advice.

http://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=137 (scroll down)

Also, for chewing benefit, ANY chicken or turkey part will do the trick. I feed meaty chicken thighs way more than necks and actually prefer them.

I PM'd you. Seem to remember tons of Mexican meat markets in West Chicago that sold turkey necks and assorted other chewey things VERY cheap a few years ago. It's a drive, but you might need to venture East toward the City at some point anyway. :)

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I found a site called my pet carnivore...30 lbs of turkey necks is $46.10. They deliver to a place relatively close by, but there's a $15 delivery fee and they deliver on Saturdays once a month but they don't mention what time.

All sounds a little bit of a pain in the butt, and a little odd IMO to meet a meat delivery in a hotel parking lot...or maybe I'm wrong?

That's all I got when I did a google search for raw food providers in my area :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Pam, I hadn't refreshed the page before I posted my last reply so I didn't see your post...hopefully a couple of those places will have a lead for me.

Also have a friend who lives about 30 minutes away who said she gets hers at the Walmart out there. That's the same town where I take Carrie for acupuncture so if they have them I can just pick them up when we go for our appointments :)

She literally JUST emailed me to tell me that!