Hind End Weakness Getting Worse In 12.5 Year Old

Long story short my fellas back end is officially failing. Everything began in April 2010 when we discovered Milky Way had 2 bad disks and spinal arthritis. X-rays were reviwed by a vet at NC state and they didn't think it was LS. Milky Way has had flare ups but now he's to the point he is sinking while standing. He takes supplements and rimadyl daily, used to be every 3 days but December 3rd we changed it to every day twice a day. He's had 2 steriodial injections for inflamation in the past as well. He still walks fine, we walk every day(very short) because he lives for it, walking is his favorite thing. Once he is up and moving he is ok it's just standing for more than 2-3 minutes results in sinking of his back end. He can still get up on his own slowly of course but he can do it. We've talked accupuncture with our vets but Milky Way gets SO stressed out being there.

Milky Way still seems happy and still himself for now.

I guess I just want to know from those that have been through this what to expect over the next few months. How will this progress? Is there anything else I can do because I feel helpless. Should I give the accupuncture a try could it help despite the stress? Sorry for so many questions

PS: We have wonderful vets who I trust, one of them even worked with the greyhound study at ohio state a few years ago.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest twogreytkids

Can you do some research to see if there is an acupuncture vet that will come to your house?

I had one come for my boy, Hoosier, and it was amazing how well he did after a treatment. Of course, had to do more than one, but it was well worth the money and there was no stress.

Marcy

Can you do some research to see if there is an acupuncture vet that will come to your house?

I had one come for my boy, Hoosier, and it was amazing how well he did after a treatment. Of course, had to do more than one, but it was well worth the money and there was no stress.

Marcy

This is what I do for Fletcher, taking him in wasn't an option for several reasons. It (and the Chinese medicine that go along with) have really helped him. I actually came into the bedroom the other day and found him on my bed, that hasn't happened in months!

Talk with your vet about adding in gabapentin. It's a good drug to help with nerve pain/impingement.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have started Adequan injections with Brady for a weak and wobbly back end. While he doesn't have issues with going to the vet, I give him the injections at home. While it hasn't been an overnight success story, I have noticed some improvement. This cold, damp weather doesn't help any, either. Good luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Our 12-year-old has had LS for several years and has responded excellently to acupuncture/chiropractic treatment once a month (more frequently at the very beginning). A year ago we found he has three bad disks at his mid-back and have had to add gabapentin and tramadol, which have also worked quite well. But he's had other medical issues for years and is now quite thin, and we've found that adding Adequan injections, which we give at home, makes a world of difference.

In addition to all that, we have carpet or floor-covering everywhere he needs to walk, including the deck and stairs outside. He prefers the ortho beds around the house. And it is helpful to have the beds raised a bit, by whatever means, so that he can somewhat step off them with his front legs and thus have to work a little less hard to lift his back end. Oh, and reasonable-length walks to keep all his muscles in good order is very important, as that's what supports all the bony parts that are misbehaving. Good luck, it's doable.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).