New Adoption Collides With Coffee Table

Guest Elliot

Hello!

About a week ago we adopted our first greyhound -- Kingsley. He's is beginning to feel really comfortable around the house and thus decided to jump off the couch colliding with our coffee table (yes, we have since moved the table). He immediately yelped and it was obvious that the collision hurt. At first he wouldn't walk around and we noticed swelling shortly after in the upper part of his front left leg. His skin also appeared reddish from bruising. As this is our first greyhound (we also have a goldendoodle) we wanted to play it safe, so we took him to the vet. At this point he was walking around, albeit favoring the other leg. The vet said that he likely hadn't broken anything and inspected his joints and swelling in the leg. He prescribed Rimadyl for the swelling and told us to ice our pup's leg.

Today, Kingsley was acting normal -- no limping and was playing around a bit with our other dog. Later in the day I noticed that the swelling in his upper leg had gone WAY down, was there was significant swelling near the back of his paw along with the red bruising color. I hadn't noticed any swelling in that area the day before. Is this typical for greyhound bruising issues, or is it something I should be concerned about? He was on his feet a fair amount today as well. Advice from the greyhound veterans would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Elliot

Guest kkaiser104

A lot of grey's have bruising issues. Not only do they bruise/bleed easier (often times), they also tend to have less hair to camouflage a bruise like your goldendoodle probably has. I would probably try to keep him off of it until the swelling is gone/very low or until he's done with the Rimadyl. My mom's grey just had a dog bite to his joint and the vet recommended no walks, no jumping, etc.. for 2 weeks. Our regular vet just ok'd him for short walks again, and it's been almost a week. There are some vets on GT who can probably better assist you. I hope Kingsley is feeling better soon! The first thing Teddi did when I brought him home was run into a door frame :rolleyes:

Edited by kkaiser104

Hope KIngsley feels better!

And yes...we need pictures!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest grandmagrey

Congratulations on your new friend Kingsley! Definately waiting on pictures!!!

Fairly new... abt 4 mos..To the world of greyhounds myself. There is never a dull moment! They are greyt pets!!

Ditto on what others have said. They bruise so easily.

Also, swelling tends to "sink" down legs...it's actually a sign of healing....As long as it isn't increasing, you should be OK - and, in addition, if he is not showing any increase in pain....

Best wishes...and congratulations on your cutie.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Thanks for the responses!! You all have allayed my fears. Here's some pictures of the dogs:

IMG_0309_zps458d2a48.jpg

IMG_0363_zpsb6d67090.jpg

IMG_0364_zps131e28f2.jpg

As a note I took these with my phone -- so the quality isn't the best!

Edited by Elliot