Two-Dog Leashes?

Guest OPointyDog

Guest OPointyDog

We are pondering getting a 2nd grey, and I'm wondering how people handle the walks. We do have a fenced yard, but our current girl, Zoe, does not like to poop in her own yard (of course!), so she gets two good walks a day (20-40 minutes each). I usually do the walking by myself - I'm wondering what the options are and how people handle a 2nd dog on a walk. I don't really have time to walk them separately, particularly in the morning.

Has anyone tried something like this leash. Does it work? Would we need the larger diameter rope? (7/16" vs 5/16")? Other suggestions?

Other suggestions for how people juggle poop bags and 2 dogs are welcome!

The coupler I had was shorter than the one shown and I hated it. The dogs would bump into each other, pee on each other and try and go two different directions. Walking one dog with each hand worked way better. Much better control using two leashes, even in the same hand. If you have two 6 ft. leashes you put both in one hand and grip one a bit further down so the dogs are staggered a bit.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I found that walking 2 dogs on one split lead made them constantly vie for who would be in front.Plus, if one stopped to sniff and the other kept going the stopped one would get yanked.I now use 2 separate leads, both held in one hand.If you need to shorten the lead for passing cars, etc. just slide your other hand up both leads at the same time.It's really not hard to walk 2 dogs at the same time,but if you don't watch what they are doing one can end up peeing on the other one's head if they are boys!

I have a coupler for walking my two, but they don't P&P on walks. I take them into our fenced yard first for potty, then walks are just for walking. I can imagine that trying to use a leash like that (or a coupler) when bathroom breaks are involved would be difficult. I think most people with multiple greys do just fine with two regular leashes.

I walk two dogs (and have walked 3 with two different "third dogs") at a time and find it easiest to hold different leashes for each dog. It gives each dog more ability to move around and make quick potty breaks, stop and sniff something interesting when the other one sniffs something else, and allows space when one is "acting stupid" (that would be Al, our non-grey) and flaking out at a squirrel, rabbit, dog across the street.... Each dog has their own leash of a particular color and type, and I can tell by looking or by feel which leash is whose. They sometimes get twisted together, but it's easy for me to correct them by moving one leash to the other hand to correct it (I hold both leashes in my left hand).

I pondered the idea of a coupler, but since Al walks like a maniac, and Monty is a more deliberate and gentle walker, I thought it would be cruel to Monty to have him jerked around by Al directly. They have really learned their "place" on the walk, and Monty is always on the right and Al always on the left - which causes some steering issues for poor Monty when Al sees a squirrel to the right and she shoves him over.... Your case may be different.

If you know people with a grey or another dog that your dog gets along with, I'd try seeing if you can go for a walk together and try out walking two different dogs on different leashes first to see how you might handle it.

Guest KsFrets

I walk and run with three, (sometimes four if we have a foster) dogs, multiple miles every day, and have been for years. I use 6 foot leashes and tie them together! This prevents confusion and accidentally letting one or more loose when things get tangled. Yes they get tangled twisted and crossed, but not as bad as you my think, and never bad enough to worry about until you get home and take the leashes off. It also prevents loosing the dogs in an accident (slipping on ice, twisting an ankle, fending off a stray, etc) where a momentary loss of attention can be catastrophic with single leashes. I've tested this by experience several times. Three or more greyhound cannot agree on a direction to go, and after pulling on each other, they just stand there, waiting for you to get things back together and your wits about you. Like Fruitycake, the multiple leashes are all different colors, and this eliminates a lot of confusion.

7512-13321014122012.jpg

Edited by KsFrets

I always slip knot my leashes around my wrist. I slip knot them both around the same wrist. BF does separate wrists. It's all about preference. Grab leashes and just take them out for a short walk. You'll quickly figure out what works best for you.

------

Jessica

Guest ultraviolet79

I have two, and spent some time walking with each individually to get them to walk nicely at my side. Once they got that down (it didn't take long at all), we all walked together, one on each side of me. I try to keep them each on their "side" during the walk so we don't get tangled. It works pretty well until I have to stop to pick up the poop, then we have to get everyone back in position again. It's easier than I thought, and you'll feel pretty awesome walking two big dogs. ;)

I walk four at a time when we're pet sitting and one has poor leash manners, however, I find when one poops, I stop within picking up distance and everyone stops and waits too. then I guard the poop so no one steps in it until I pick it up. I also give every one a treat after so they've learned that waiting until mom picks up the poop bag is a good thing.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I like using individual leashes. I also make sure that every dog has a leash that looks different so that if theres a problem I know which leash needs to be grabbed without guessing. Walking multiple dogs is not that hard as long as the dogs aren't hellions on leash.

I prefer using individual leashes for the pottying issues above (and even so my two girls do pee on each other from time to time. I put it down to my incompetence!), and because they keep switching around. Sometimes both out in front, or one in front, one at my hip, or one has a really interesting smell that the other isn't curious about, and so one lags behind. They have some more freedom using the two. Yes,they get tangled, but nothing too major. I walk with them both in my left hand, and the poo bag in my right. If I need to gibe a treat or whatever, it gets transferred to my left. DH prefers the coupler. I hate it, and he also prefers longer leashes. I like shorter ones because I think they give me greater control and with two dogs I think I need that especially with Paige's prey drive.

I love having two greys and would seriously like a third BUT feel that I am limited in the number of dogs I can safely control in situations when things go wrong. Two is manageable. Three might not be.

I wonder why your girl won't poop in the yard?

Mine also aren't fans of it, and we prefer them to do it out walking - less damage to our yard, plenty of dog doo bins around. Do yours not poop on the leash at all? Does that make travelling with them tricky?

And why do so many discussions on Greytalk end up being about number 1s and 2s?

Guest OPointyDog

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions - if we do get a second dog, I'll try two leashes and see how that goes. Zoe tends to wander a lot, so I'm hoping maybe with a second dog the walks could be a bit more directed!

I wonder why your girl won't poop in the yard?

Good question! My understanding is that it's not that unusual. I think she'd even prefer not to pee in her own yard, but she will, particularly at night. We have a boatload of squirrels and she does catch them, so I usually take her out to pee on a leash so that it doesn't turn into a hunt. In the mornings, I also don't just turn her loose because she'd go out and zoom around and then I couldn't feed her before I need to go to work.

She has designated spots around the neighborhood that are her favorite spots for pooping, and so we go to them twice a day....

Guest Scouts_mom

I agree with everyone about no couplers--just put both leashes around one wrist and use your other arm to direct the dogs as needed. I've been walking 2 dogs for about 10 years. I find if they walk together often, they will establish their own places in relation to me (behind, infront, to the left, to the right). Once they know where they belong it goes fairly well.

Do make sure that your leashes are the same length. I take care of my sister's collies at times and she uses leather leashes that are slightly longer than my web ones. It caused no end of problems as some dogs could get further away than others. When I started using my extra web leashes on the collies things improved dramatically.

Edited by Scouts_mom

I walk all three of my guys wih no issues at all.

We walk a lot...an hour or so every day.

Nixon walks on my left and Nigel and Ruby on the right, side by side.

I use a 'belt' that I sling over one shoulder and clip all the leashes to the front ring.

Each dog has a different coloured clip.

I still hold the leashes, but having them clipped on ensures that nobody will get loose if I have to pick up poop or tie a shoe lace.

They are all very well behaved...not spooky or bolters...and they have never ever 'taken off' or tried to drag me.

Here is the 'belt'....

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_page_featured.cfm?queries_index=index8&title_bar=HIGH%20SIERRA%20WALK%2DA%2DBELT%3Csup%3Etm%3C%2Fsup%3E%20Heavy%20Duty%20with%20Carabineer&NewProduct=0&Product_CatalogID=157&ProductCode=2&RecordNo=1&sc=yes

As well as the large centre clip, it has a four other rings that you can clip your poop bags, etc to.

This is the only...werid...photo I have of all three of us walking together....

ShadowwalkJune2012005-1.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I walk our two dogs on four foot leashes. Shorter leashes make walking both dogs at once much easier for me.

I would never use a coupler.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest WhiteWave

Depends on the dogs, but I use a double lead for Ronon and Casper when I have just them. Also use one for Jack and Rocky. The black lead is split and both sides the same length. I have 2 red ones and you can adjust the length on each side if one dog needs more room than the other.

Not walking, but here are two pics from our last walk with them leashed together

LRCaspernRononGatorcreek.jpg

LRRononnCasper2.jpg

Guest Trammell

I have a two dog lead for my iggies. You can adjust the length of each side, so my brat can have more room and my other doesn't get pulled, I use a six foot lead for my greyhound, and I slip knot both just in case but I wrap the leads around my hands so the dogs are next to me. I walk the iggies on a different side then the grey because the size difference makes it is for loni (big grey) to trip over the little ones. The two lead has made walking them and picking up poop much easier, but I am not as skilled as most of the others with multiple dog walking experience.

Edited by Trammell

Guest OPointyDog
Why dont you feed her before you let her out in the morning, then you dont have to worry about it?

My understanding is that you're not supposed to let them run around within an hour on either side of eating to reduce the potential for bloat. I don't typically have time to feed her and then wait an hour to put her out in case she decides to zoom around the yard when I put her out (plus she's unlikely to poop in our yard and I'd have to walk her anyway). She's only 3 so tends to run laps if you let her loose in the yard. Walking her lets me control the zoomies.

We're interviewing a potential candidate for a 2nd dog this weekend - cross your fingers that he gets along with Zoe and passes the cat test with our 14 and 12 year old cats. Very exciting!