Sticky: Greyhound Blood Work Reference Values - From Osu

Guest OurLacyandJax

I have to chuckle at the last paragraph in the green box. Even when I provided GHWP readings of HIGH TSH in addition to a dozen clinical symptoms from their own published list, they still won't concede that my dog could be hypothyroid!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I have to chuckle at the last paragraph in the green box. Even when I provided GHWP readings of HIGH TSH in addition to a dozen clinical symptoms from their own published list, they still won't concede that my dog could be hypothyroid!

What was their explanation? A high TSH by itself doesn't mean the dog is hypothyroid.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What was their explanation? A high TSH by itself doesn't mean the dog is hypothyroid.

generally, if the other levels (T4, T3, Free T4) are low AND there is a spike in the TSH, that's truly low thyroid, as the TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is the body's way of trying to tell the thyroid it doesn't have enough hormone and is trying to create more.

Rainey was *truly* low thyroid, as verified by Dr. Couto

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I remember :) . Rainey :wub: :wub: . patricia's angel Flashy :wub: :wub: was another one.

I just was curious about what duncan41's dog's values were, and what OSU had said about them. You can have oddball high TSH readings without having greyhound-low other values, interference from certain medications and illnesses, etc.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I remember :) . Rainey :wub: :wub: . patricia's angel Flashy :wub: :wub: was another one.

// begin hijack

:kiss2 Flashy :) We saw Patricia and Renee at the GO event last month -- both look great and Renee is very sweet!

//end hijack

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sorry - have been wrapped up with DH''s cardiac issues lately.

OSU's cautionary response:Most every normal Greyhound has low T4 and fT4 levels. We would recommend a TSH assay, so hypothyroidism can be confirmed, you can read more about it in our newsletter (attached). Your vet would need to send the samples to Michigan State.

I don't disagree with that at all! I am a HUGE believer in MSU Thyroid testing! I have recommended it countless times to others! BUT, here is what was submitted, copied directly from their response:

Consult

Acute Renal Failure 2009 - cause never identified. Current dx: glomerulonephritis, hypertension, hypothyroid, 20% von Willebrand's Factor. Latest test results for BP (note: readings were taken at home to avoid white coat syndrome), Super Chem, CBC, urinalysis, UPC, Urine Culture and von Willebrand's Factor are attached. Significant changes since January: UPC was 4.5, is 5.2 now. von Willebrand's was 58%, is 20% now. Also included thyroid test results before and after Soloxine. PCR testing for all TBD's was negative. Tested for "atypical Addison's" - negative. Medications: Soloxine: .3mg in am, .4mg in pm. Benazepril: 15mg once a day. Homeopathic remedies by Standard Process and Systemic Formulas targeting the kidneys and thyroid. Other alternative treatments: acupuncture, I-therm, massage and essential oils. Diet: Homemade Kidney Diet by Dr. Pitcairn.

Questions or requests

Dr. Donna Ragona from Cocoa Village Animal Wellness Center will be calling to request a consultation regarding whether to continue Benazepril or if Enalapril would be indicated for this dog, as well as the advisability of adding Spironolactone (as quoted in the article from Celebrating Greyhounds by Dr. Jim Bader) in light of the 20% von Willebrand's factor. Dr. Ragona may have other concerns as well.

My point was a. The accompanying test results attached to the consult request could not have been reviewed, and b. THE QUESTION SUBMITTED/PURPOSE FOR THE CONSULT REQUEST WAS NEVER ANSWERED!!!! THE QUESTION HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HYPOTHYROID STATUS, TESTING, OR SYMPTOMS!!! DR. RAGONA'S CALL TO THEM WAS NEVER RETURNED!!!

This is not the first time this has happened to me with this dog for her puzzling downward spiral a year ago. Very disappointing.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Well, that would sure be disappointing, to say the least.

• 3 months later...